5th Wheel pulling - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2003, 09:42 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
5th Wheel pulling

We just pulled our new small 5th wheel this weekend (4800lbs). Our salesman told us we could pull this no problem with our V6 manual transmission Sierra GMC truck even though there were no published amounts on pulling 5th wheels with a manual v6 engine in the owners manual (only trailer hitches). So in the excitement we bought it. Now we realize that this may not be enough to pull the 5th wheel. It handled well except up quick steep grades. The clutch got a work out also. The gear ratio is already at 342 (i think, this is what my husband said). We are now exploring options on what we can do to our current truck without having to buy a new one. The whole reason we did this 5th wheel was so we did not have to buy a new truck. Any ideas from anyone.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 12:53 PM   #2

Just my opinion

I'm not sure which fifth wheel you purchased, but it sounds like too much trailer for the tow vehicle. If it was listed at dry weight of 4800 lbs, I think it would be a safe bet that it was way more than that when traveling. That would make it too much trailer for your truck, I would think. I'm thinking that it's probably not a molded fiberglass 5er like the Scamp or Quantum, is it? They are much, much lighter than that and you probably wouldn't have any trouble towing with your truck.

Also, I'm not sure if it was new, used, or purchased from a dealer. If it were me (I stress that this is what I would do and not recommending that you do it) and it was purchased from a dealer, I would notify them immediately and explain the situation to them. That you were told that your truck would tow this trailer and now find that it won't.

The longer you wait, the more you lessen your chances.

Salemen who are unknowledgeable or, worse yet, care more about selling than safety really get my dander up.

As I said, this is just my opinion FWIW.

Good Luck

Old 07-28-2003, 01:01 PM   #3

I agree with Suz. 4800# is not particularly lightweight for a 5'er, at least not for a small one. My parents have a 23' ShadowCruiser, and it weighs about 3500# dry, and that is quite a bit heavier than a Scamp 19. They tow with a 4.3L V-6, and are quite happy, but wouldn't want to go much heavier. If you explained to the salesman what your needs were, and he mis-represented this trailer as suitable for you, I'd go get a refund. If they want to pro-rate the refund for use you put on the trailer, then I'd charge them for un-due wear and tear on your truck.

Old 07-28-2003, 08:43 PM   #4

G.C.W (Gross combined weight)

Look in your owners manual for the GMC.
It will tell you the GCW of the vehicle.
That is loaded weight of tow vehicle and trailer added together.
4800 lbs. plus whatever the GMC weights equals ?????????????
That will tell you how much overloaded you are.
4800 lbs plus weight of pickup seems like A lot of weight for A small V 6 to be hauling around. Just guessing but with water ,propane,food, 2or 3 people in tow vehicle +++++++++++++
total weight 6500-7000 lbs.

Old 07-28-2003, 10:19 PM   #5

Tow ratings

Steve and Kelli, you may be able to find some specs on your vehicle's towing
limits at this site: http://www.trailerlife.com/output.cfm?id=42175

Old 07-29-2003, 07:02 AM   #6

Trailerlife web site

Very good web site that Rock MacRae posted above. Lots of good info. Be sure and look at Manufactuer,s notes at end of rateings.
1500 series with 4.3 V6 OR 4.8 V8 And manual tramsmission are not rated to tow 5th. wheel or gooseneck trailers.
1500 series require Z85 increased capacity or ZX3 package to tow 5th. wheel trailers.