7 pin connector - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2006, 06:33 PM   #1

Trailer: 75 Boler
I had a seven pin plug but have no idea as to how to test if the truck is recharging the trailer battery?

I just installed a 12v car CD player in the Boler via a under cabinet gimbal mount that is used for boats and wired it up to the trailers system.....it rocks !

Without tracing the wires from the pin...is there an easy (via ohm meter?) way to see if it's properly configured?

Thanks,

Dan
Dan Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 07:43 PM   #2

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Quote:
I had a seven pin plug but have no idea as to how to test if the truck is recharging the trailer battery?

I just installed a 12v car CD player in the Boler via a under cabinet gimbal mount that is used for boats and wired it up to the trailers system.....it rocks !

Without tracing the wires from the pin...is there an easy (via ohm meter?) way to see if it's properly configured?

Thanks,

Dan
Hey dan, the easiest way to check if the car charges the coach batteries, is to put a multi meter on the battery. When the car is running, the trailer battery will be about 13.8 volts. when the car is not running, the battery will be about 12.2volts. this goes for the battery under the hood also. a short cut for cars with a volt gauge on the dash, Is to plug in the trailer while the car is running, and see if the gauge spikes a bit... If it changes draw, the car is trying to charge the battery. if no movement accures, then prolly not. Thats a shot cut, but not proper...
Ryan Kennelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 09:54 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Your battery can sit at rest with a 13.x charge reading. Mine is sitting at 13.5 right now with no charger currently running on it. (Or it was an hour ago when I raided the fridge for Dr. Pepper!) I did charge it last nite however.

Using the method to see if the voltage goes up when connected to the car is a good one tho. It always will go up almsot instantly when you start the car.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote