72 Boler roof caved in on back corner and middle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2016, 11:18 PM   #1

Name: Wes
Trailer: 1972 Boler
Quebec
72 Boler roof caved in on back corner and middle

Hi, just a quick note to say that we purchased a gutted 72 Boler, which has a small area which is slightly concaved on the back right corner, and also the middle of the roof where the vents are located is also low, e.g you can push it up by hand, but it goes back down when you release it.

Can anybody provide us with some insight as to what we could do to rectify this problem without removing the insulation on the inside (if possible)? We're not sure if that area should be cut out and replaced with new fibreglass, etc before we primer and re-paint....

Your thoughts and ideas are VERY MUCH appreciated !

Cheers!
Wes and Deb
Wes and Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:27 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
A few pics would help us see the damage Wes. Just off hand I think you may have to open the interior up a bit. Might only entail pealing back enough for the repair and regluing.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:52 AM   #3

Quebec
Concaved middle roof and corner...

Hi Dave, thanks for your reply... I'll take some photos today and post them for you and others to see asap.

Appreciate your help/insight here.

Wes and Deb
Old 10-24-2016, 10:59 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
By gutted do you mean the cabinets are out?
If so that will be at least part of reason the roof is down
around the vent, maybe the right rear too.
Is the fiberglass actually broke anywhere?
Pics will help
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:36 AM   #5

Quebec
Hi Fred (everyone)!

Yes the sink counter and top cabinets are out (the cupboard and base for the seats on both sides are still there). We're pretty sure the sag is caused by the weight of snow sitting there for too long, but not completely certain as we just purchased the Boler (like it is) not to long ago. It's the section in-between the two ribs on the roof. From the ribs to the outside is perfect, and then there is that small concave (with no cracks) on the far back right corner, and a little larger concave on the front, with a crack as you can see from the pics attached. The interior pic (although not very good because I couldn't get in the trailer because it's on jacks), you can see where it is evident on the inside corner that it is concaved on the back right corner as well... So, here's some pics for everyone's review and appreciated insite

Thanks for your help!
Wes and Deb
Attached Thumbnails
Boler pic 1.jpg   Boler pic 2.jpg  

Boler pic 3.jpg   Boler pic 4.jpg  

Old 10-24-2016, 02:30 PM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
If it was left outside over the winter, then the snow load and lack of roof support probably caved it in. I think you will have to remove some of the interior ensolite and use supports to press the shell back into proper shape and add a layer or 2 of new fiberglass to hold the shape. The cracked area could then be ground out and new glass added from the outside. I am sure that more folks will chime in with more help.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:01 PM   #7

Quebec
Response to Dudley's ideas:

Thanks Dudley, we're thinking the same thing... Appreciate your/everyone's input! If we do take the ensolite material off the inside in order to do the repair, do you or anyone else know what the solution would be to replace that material?

It's not something we're tackling tomorrow (so to speak), so we're very willing to listen to everyone's thoughts on this and go from there

Cheers
Wes and Deb
Old 10-24-2016, 03:23 PM   #8

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Sorry not much help there. I haven't done any work on a Boler. I know that some folks have removed it to do repairs then glued it back in. Best to check with more learned Boler experts on here first on how to remove the stuff. I hear its hard to come by.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 05:25 PM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
I have scraped the ensolite off in a couple areas where needed and it peeled back real nice with the aid of a wood chisel scraping along the fiberglass.
Once I finished the mod i was doing i used contact cement, worked great.
I would do pretty much what Dudley says to go about repair of the fiberglass
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:18 AM   #10

Name: Tim
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
I used these poles from Home Depot to support the inside of my boler in case there is a storm with heavy wet snow. I think you could also use them to support the inside of the caved in part if you were doing some patching on the outside too. Strongest patch would be on the entire inside though. I would peel back the ensolite, make the repair and then put the ensolite back in place. Contact cement will work but I have heard others using a headliner spray adhesive working a bit better.

Task 113 in. Quick Support Rod-T74500 - The Home Depot
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:57 PM   #11

Quebec
Thanks Fred, all very good suggestions and believe we'll be tackling the job along the lines you, Dudley and Tim suggested... We'll keep you posted, and still welcome ideas from all
Old 10-26-2016, 08:00 PM   #12

Quebec
Thanks Tim!!! As mentioned in my reply to Fred we appreciate all this insight from everyone, as we will be tackling the job according to everyone's feedback ! Thanks also for the idea regarding the headliner spray adhesive.

Cheers!
Wes & Deb

Tags
boler