73 BOLER DOOR LOCK NOT WORKING - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2007, 09:19 AM   #1

Trailer: Triple E Honey 13 ft Boler
Send a message via MSN to John Young
Hi Everyone
I recently purchased a 73 Boler in need of repair. The lock is not working on the door but I am not sure if all the parts are there. The door handle works fine to open and close it just won't lock with the key that was provided. There are no buttons or toggles on the inside, just the handle. Next weekend I will be taking it apart to see if there are parts missing or if I just need to take it to a Locksmith. It would help if I had a picture of the door handle set from inside the trailer. I would appreciate it if anyone could provide that.

John
John Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:14 AM   #2

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
The '73 Boler-American we used to have had a door lockset that is still available new. Teardrop trailer builders use them pretty commonly. So... if it comes down to it - it might be just as easy to replace the whole thing as it is to try to repair a 35 yr old one.

Here's one supplier: Door Handle Set for under $30

One other thing: There seems to be two different versions of this lock out there. One has a switch on top of the lock that's used to lock from the inside. The other just has a hole (top, left I believe) that you're supposed to insert a pin into to lock the door. Is it possible that you have the pin version and that the pin's been lost???

Mike
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
I would guess that the key is worn or that you were given the wrong key in the first place.....the pin that`s put into the interior part of the lock is only good if you are in the trailer.....you could possibly shoot some WD-40 into the tumbler and wiggle the key around ....if that works, then get some powdered graphite from a locksmith and use that to lube your lock tumbler....good luck....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: If it's a "T" handle and lock set they are also available from Scamp Trailers check out www.scamptrailers.com and look at their parts dept. for a list of parts and prices...Most of their parts fit Bolers as they started in the R.V. business making... parts for Boler!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:20 PM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
This is what the interior and exterior of a 72 lock looks like. You can see the bolt we keep on a string to lock from the inside. We did not have keys for the exterior so we added a separate lock. It also makes sure the door will not open when on the road, just remember to keep it locked when you are there so no one can lock you in.
Attached Images

Barbara Gardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 07:16 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Barbara, that's the same lock set Scamp uses. John, if everything works except the key...you can replace it with a "T" garage door handle. I bought that type of replacement for my trailer at a locksmith...cost me less than $10. Just had to cut the square shaft down to about 4".

Or you can purchase a brand new complete assembly from Scamp for about $15.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler