'73 Compact Jr. Frame - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-19-2005, 06:02 PM   #15
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
One of the lost topics was about "thread killers": members whose posts seem to be the death of the thread, as no one else then responds. I was sure I had accidentally killed this thread, and I really don't believe that no one out there has anything better to say than my ramblings.

The original frame material for the Compact Jr. seems quite small, especially to me since I am accustomed to the 2"x4" box section frame of my Boler, although I suppose it is closer to what those more familar with the smaller trailers might expect. The C-channel choice is not surprising - lots of utility trailers are built with C-channel - but still somewhat disappointing. I had not realized when I first saw Tom's photo that the frame members are channel, rather than box.

If I am not a fan of C-channel, I like angle sections even less. Angle (and to a lesser extent channel) has low torsional stiffness and is not efficient in carrying bending stresses. Why not use box section? For the less weight than the 2.25"x2.25"x3/8" angle, I would expect 2"x2"x3/16" closed box section (square hollow steel tubing) to be stronger.

The 2.25x2.25x3/8 angle should be about 1.6 square inches in cross section, so 26 feet would be about 57 kg (123 lb) - less than with the size of tubing I used for an example, but still significant - I assume more than 10% of the weight of the whole trailer.

1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 07:42 PM   #16
Trailer: 16 ft Casita and 1973 Compact Jr / 2002 Dodge Ram 1500
At this point weight isn't an issue, but strength is. The cost is a factor also, I have on hand everything I need to do this job. You are correct about the inherent weakness of angle iron, and the merits of the box section material. I am using the angle iron because that is what I have on hand. I have just enough to do this one project. I'm not replacing the frame, just beefing it up to get me into, and out of a very rough area. I don't want to have to haul a welder into a place a log truck can not go.

Emmit D. Acklin is offline   Reply With Quote