73 Trillium NEW PROJECT - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2008, 10:42 AM   #1

Trailer: 1973 Trillium
Send a message via AIM to georgia g
The kitchen is in and looks great. We purchased the carpeting for the side walls but...now the ceiling looks shabby. Stains and old age. It is the vinyl/leather like pebbly covering. I say we can paint it and my husband says no. There must be a beige/tan paint that will not hurt the vinyl???? More advise needed. georgia
georgia g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:03 AM   #2

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Pics or it didn't happen!
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:08 PM   #3

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:
Pics or it didn't happen!

Yes, Georgia, what Booker said...
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Georgia,

If you're talking about the usual wall/ceiling covering in a Trillium (off-white pebbly vinyl covered stiffish foam), then that's something like Ensolite and lots of people have painted theirs (not me so I'm going by what I've read by searching). One paint I've heard of several people using successfully is Zinsser's interior Perma-White (latex acrylic with built in mildewcide). Of course you want to clean the Ensolite first with somethintg like a TSP solution.

I'm not so keen on using mildewcide paints indoors where I breath, so if I paint (my Ensolite is in fine shape, but the Boler's Ensolite comes in a bit of a greyish in color), I might try to find something without that in it. But I haven't done the research yet.

FWIW,
Raya

PS: Photos!!
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:14 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

Quote:
The kitchen is in and looks great. We purchased the carpeting for the side walls but...now the ceiling looks shabby. Stains and old age. It is the vinyl/leather like pebbly covering. I say we can paint it and my husband says no. There must be a beige/tan paint that will not hurt the vinyl???? More advise needed. georgia
Just do a Google search on "painting vinyl". I found this one right off the top:

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2006/02...erior/index.php

Good Luck on your project.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:37 PM   #6

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
but...now the ceiling looks shabby. Stains and old age. It is the vinyl/leather like pebbly covering.
Unless it's really toast, something to consider also may be to give it a really good cleaning with some type of a bleach-based household cleaner and a brush. Ours came out looking like new so we decided not to paint it.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:01 PM   #7

Trailer: 1973 Trillium
Send a message via AIM to georgia g
Quote:
Unless it's really toast, something to consider also may be to give it a really good cleaning with some type of a bleach-based household cleaner and a brush. Ours came out looking like new so we decided not to paint it.
WOW!! sure doesn't take long to get a lot of good ideas. Thanks all. Pictures will be posted when project is complete. Before and after. I got some really good ideas on redoing the cushions. I will let you all know how my ideas work out. georgia
georgia g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Pictures will be posted when project is complete. Before and after.
Please don't make us wait till the end! Besides, think how much easier it will be to post in segments, instead of one big "chore" at the end. (She makes it sound like it's to georgia's advantage ) You could still show us "before" and "after" of each section

R.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:37 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
I've heard of several people using successfully is Zinsser's interior Perma-White (latex acrylic with built in mildewcide). Of course you want to clean the Ensolite first with somethintg like a TSP solution.

I'm not so keen on using mildewcide paints indoors where I breath, so if I paint (my Ensolite is in fine shape, but the Boler's Ensolite comes in a bit of a greyish in color), I might try to find something without that in it. But I haven't done the research yet.
I was one of those people. It's holding up beautifully. I cleaned with several cleaner before painting, the ensolite was really nasty dirty and greasy.

I'd rather deal with the mildewcide than mildew. If you don't want the mildewcide then I would just use high quality latex paint.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:01 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Here's a whole topic on painting the ensolite, with more links within
Painting Ensolite
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:44 PM   #11

Thanks, Liz.

I may not even paint. My Ensolite is in nice, original condition, although the color is the slightly light grey Boler color. If I do, I'll look into plain latex, or some other low/no VOC paint. I've heard of the mildewcides causing respiratory issues, although I haven't checked into it too much yet, so it's just hearsay for me so far.

I may just have been lucky, but so far there is no sign of mildew in my Boler. I did find a card that the PO's had listing steps "to do" in using the trailer, and they had a reminder to themselves to always leave the two small jalousie windows "cracked" for air circulation (in the door and above the stove).

I'm still deciding if this is the trailer for me or not. Kind of "trying it on" for size. I probably won't paint over the original walls unless I decide to keep it.

Raya
Old 12-17-2008, 07:35 PM   #12

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500 Deluxe
Hi Georgia,
I owned 3 Trillium's at one time last year. I tell everyone...DO NOT PAINT THE interior membrane (Ensolite) I had one that someone was a heavy smoker. Get a heavy stiff hand bristle nylon brush. Start with "Murphy's Oil soap" 1st. Than buy 2 to 3 cans of "Bar Keepers Friend" Make into a paste. Spread it over all the ensolite and let it sit for 5 to 6 hours. Make sure you remove cushions & curtains. And use rubber gloves. Go back with very warm fresh water and a sponge & Bristle Brush and lots of towels. repeat this 2 times. Than take a fresh warm bucket of "Murphy's Oil Soap" damper a couple hand towels and wipe one final time. It will look like new and smell great!!!!

Dave
"The Trillium King"
Dave Baston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium