'74 trillium opinions and help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2006, 08:21 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium
Hi everyone I'm new but have been visiting often A LOT the past few days to get all the info I can on these little gems. PLZ don't kill me as I'm not modifying my trailer to camp out of, more to work out of. I found a 74 trillium for $2K and I'm driving 5 hours to take a look at it tomorrow PICS:

Click image for larger version

Name:	83806457_6.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	2528

Any opinions welcomed here. I notice a lot of the trim is missing in the seam, is this fixable? Also on interior pic on ceiling where trim is I see a small lighter area is this light coming through a seam if so is this fixable? Is this a decent price or should I consider a lower offer? It's on an RV dealer lot.

I'm not concerned about the inside as I will be ripping most of it out anyways to re build it to suit my needs. I'm converting it to a mobile grooming salon. Most everything will be ripped out I will be adding a large tub. A grooming table where the table is etc. Being in TX A/C is a necessity. I saw where someone added a slide out "drawer" for window unit.. INGENIUS!!! I Love that! How hard is it to install a rooftop mounted A/C on these? I will have to wire it to hook up to a generator or shoreline (plug into clients houes) both actually to switch back and forth if the generator craps out on me like it often does. Later I will be adding an inverter system. Any pointers on what to look for as far as flaws or potential costly problems to look for such as axles and frame?

I have done so much research lately on these types of campers I have fallen in love with them, wish I could get another just to camp out of but these won't work with 3 small kids at least not a 13' LOL

Here are pics of a '74 Trillium converted for mobile grooming
Webshots - Images of 1974 Trillium Grooming Trailer after rehab
This was after $12K of rennovations. I'm hoping it doesn't run me that much.
Right now I'm using a van and it's been in service for over 10 yrs with over 120K miles on it. It's seen it's better days so I'm wanting to go with a trailer for more room. I'm loving these trailers as I'm hoping I can get away with pulling with a V6 mid size SUV vs having to buy a gas hog V8 full size pick up to tow a heavy cargo trailer instead.

Thank you and welcome any comments, opinions, ideas etc. I'm sure you will be seeing me a lot in the upcoming months if I get this trailer! LOL
Attached Thumbnails
83806457_2.jpg   83806457_1.jpg  

Bhaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:27 PM   #2

Oh my bad... here's the correct link to the trillium remodeled...
http://community.webshots.com/album/88927786GPGinH/0

Old 04-28-2006, 07:45 AM   #3

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
A roof mounted ac needs roof re-inforcing, the trilliums were generally not built with a roof that would take the weight of an ac unit, be carefull if removingcupboards, these contribute to the forming of the roof arch, and to stop it from caving in.
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:09 AM   #4

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
A roof mounted ac needs roof re-inforcing, the trilliums were generally not built with a roof that would take the weight of an ac unit, be carefull if removingcupboards, these contribute to the forming of the roof arch, and to stop it from caving in.
Generally any structure that goes from the floor to the ceiling is structural and should not be removed without a plan for something to replace it.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 05:33 PM   #5

My friend with the other converted trillium told me how they went about adding their
roof mounted a/c so that wasn't a problem.

Okay I went and looked at it today. 3/4 of the trim going around the mid seam on the outside was gone. Only the left 1/4 panel had any seam left. The trim covering the seams on the inside over the "vinyl" insulation (only description I can come up with LOL) were all wrinkled and warped and peeling off. The fridge was gone the heater was all rusted out. The vinyl insulation was really really sticky to the touch all over and was coming down on the top front corners at the seams. I tried pushing it back up there but it wouldn't go, it was almost as if it had shrunk. Basically all the insulation was goin to have to come off and be replaced. The window handles were broken off and the fiberglass covers for the large front and back window are gone. Also if it comes with a water tank there wasn't one anywhere. There were some small cracks in the fiberglass from age on the door and the hinges were cracked on the door. All the exterior lights are broken and cracked off. They're asking $2K I tried to offer them $1300. Come to find out it's there on consignment from a man that moved to NM and couldn't pull it with him and couldn't afford to have it shipped there so they're selling it for him. Not sure how long it's been there but he said he wouldn't take less than $1850 for it. I dunno, maybe it's just me but a trailer that age needing a lot of work and being here in texas with no a/c $2K is pretty steep.
So my search continues
If anyone is interested in this and wants to pay what he's asking I'll be happy to give you the information to where it's at.

Beth

Tags
trillium