75 Trillium belly band replacement - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #1

Name: Dezz
Trailer: 75 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
75 Trillium belly band replacement

I am in the begining stages of taking off the aluminum band around the mid of the trailer. Removing rivets and cleaning underneath etc.

My question is whether or not I can replace this now with any marine or vehicle grade trim adhesive band, of course thick enough to cover all the flaws underneath? Possibly even use a thin strip of butyl tape in the bad parts.

Is there a science to this? Of something I should be aware of?

thanks in advance for any direction on this...

Old 05-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #2

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzh View Post
I am in the begining stages of taking off the aluminum band around the mid of the trailer. Removing rivets and cleaning underneath etc.

My question is whether or not I can replace this now with any marine or vehicle grade trim adhesive band, of course thick enough to cover all the flaws underneath? Possibly even use a thin strip of butyl tape in the bad parts.

you really can't use a self adhesive body side molding without doing a lot of body work to get a smooth surface on which to stick it.
Unless it is seriously damaged, you should be able to polish and reuse the original strip. The insert is available in rolls at most RV places and comes in several colors.
The strip can be reattached by replacing the rusted fasteners with wood, plastic or metal tabs which can be epoxied , liquid nailed, or fiberglassed in place. Then screw the bellyband back in place and insert the trim.
Save a few feet of the trim if you can since the new roll will not quite reach all the way around a 13 Trillium.
In addition...you might consider using a tube of silcone adhesive in the gap under the band to help hold it and prevent water infiltration.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:53 PM   #3

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzh View Post

I just did a removal, clean and polish of my scamp belly band, which while different suffers from the common aluminum issues.

Used a green scrubbing pad (white is also good) and bar keepers friend to clean the surface which removed the heavy oxidation, rinse and dry.
Then some nevr dull which did clean a lot of the oxidation off. Final touch was semi chrome polish which removes oxidation but also leaves a protective film behind.

Found the polishing went better if I did small sections at a time rather than apply to big chunk then go back and polish.

Here is a before and after shot.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...icture1946.jpg

For really bad scratches one has to use 400 - 2000 wet dry sand paper and sand them out. But I did not bother as some scratches on mine are too deep and the rest are minor so I settled for shiny with scratches.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #4

Name: Randy
Trailer: (4) Trillium 4500, (4) Trillium 1300, (1) Scamp,(1) Burro 16'
Ardmore, Alabama
I removed the trim on mine and replaced it with auto trim..Wasn't that had to do..Tried to find the old thread with pictures showing the process but haven't found it yet but still looking....In my opion I would never put the old trim back on... it caused buldges in the fiberglas where the metal tabs were in mine so it had to go on all (6) trilliums I own...What I did was run a piece of Gorilla Duct Tape (its thicker and tougher than regular duct tape) above and below the crack about 1 1/2" apart..Took all the metal tabs out with a side grinder, Vise grips and pliers...Filled the crack with Bondo Short Stran Fiberglas filler then sanded it smooth...Removed the tape and installed the trim..I decided to put a bead of construction adhesive in between the 2 strips of 3M double sided tape before installing the trim because I didn't want it to come off from high pressure car wash sprayers when I carry it to the car wash..It's not moved or leaked since.... problem solved and I didn't have to paint the camper because of the repairs because the trim covered it all up...I did find one thread that shows the trim installed on the last page here......
79 Trillium 4500 Where do I start!?

Here is another thread showing the start of the process....

Water in my Trillium 1300

Found the one I was looking for check this one out it shows every detail I done in replacing the band......

Trillium Renovation

Tags
trillium