75 trillium generator hookup - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2018, 02:25 PM   #1

Name: Dan
Trailer: Trillium
Alberta
75 trillium generator hookup

Not sure how to go about hooking up a small generator to my 75 trillium 1300. What does it even do. Yeah it's my first day I know [emoji16]
Dan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 02:30 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Well, it annoys your neighbours...
Old 08-11-2018, 02:32 PM   #3

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Well, it annoys your neighbours...
Well that's the fun part right! [emoji14]
Old 08-11-2018, 02:39 PM   #4

Alberta
I think the main problem is plugging in a baby monitor at night. The plugs dont seem to have any power and I dont know if the trailer needs to be plugged in or not
Old 08-11-2018, 02:55 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Good grief. Where's the baby??
Trailer has to be plugged in for AC plugs to work.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:57 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Dan it depends on your Trillium power setup.

If its an original 15 amp shore power setup like my Trillium (has a 15 amp AC circuit breaker on the cabinet mounted power converter), just plug the Trillium shore power cord into your generator AC outlet.

If your Trillium for some reason has a 30 amp shore power cord, then add a 30 amp to 15 amp adapter, then plug into the generator.

-John
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:02 PM   #7

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
Dan it depends on your Trillium power setup.

If its an original 15 amp shore power setup like my Trillium (has a 15 amp AC circuit breaker on the cabinet mounted power converter), just plug the Trillium shore power cord into your generator AC outlet.

If your Trillium for some reason has a 30 amp shore power cord, then add a 30 amp to 15 amp adapter, then plug into the generator.

-John
Thanks. That makes more sense.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:06 PM   #8

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Good grief. Where's the baby??
Trailer has to be plugged in for AC plugs to work.
I'm not asking to be judged. I'm asking for suggestions. We had a portable power pack that ran the monitor but it died. I thought this forum was about help and advice. Obviously I'm not familiar with how the trailer works. So please keep snide comments for somewhere else.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:37 PM   #9

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
If your problem is that the trailer male plug doesn't match the generator female, then the 30A to 15A adapter, as mentioned. Walmart, etc has them. Your AC outlets in the trailer have to be powered by plugging the trailer in to a live AC outlet or generator or wire in an inverter. Depending on the power requirement of the monitor you might be able to use a small inverter plugged in to your 12V "cigar lighter" outlet. If you are asking if running a generator to power a baby monitor is a good idea, then only if you are camped far away from anyone else.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:30 PM   #10

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
If your problem is that the trailer male plug doesn't match the generator female, then the 30A to 15A adapter, as mentioned. Walmart, etc has them. Your AC outlets in the trailer have to be powered by plugging the trailer in to a live AC outlet or generator or wire in an inverter. Depending on the power requirement of the monitor you might be able to use a small inverter plugged in to your 12V "cigar lighter" outlet. If you are asking if running a generator to power a baby monitor is a good idea, then only if you are camped far away from anyone else.
Good advice. Thank you[emoji106]
Old 08-12-2018, 08:46 AM   #11

Name: mensie
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
A baby monitor doesn't draw to many amps, I just picked up a small 75 watt inverter from Canadian tire that fits in the 12 volt cigarette lighter plug to power my outdoor lights. But you might need a solar panel to charge the battery during daylight hours.
MotoMaster 75W Mobile Power Outlet | Canadian Tire

I have a 100 watt solar panel that can be bought on sale at Canadian at times for $199 and it works great.

I also have a 2000 watt champion generator/inverter it is pretty quiet but if it has to work it can be noisy and you don't want to piss the neighbours off.
mensie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:55 PM   #12

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan75 View Post
Good advice. Thank you[emoji106]
There is easy solution. Buy a 12v wireless baby monitor. They are made for made for travel situations such as this. The issue with using a generator all night is cost and noise. A lot of areas enforce quiet hours which means no generators can be run at night so because of those restrictions a 12v monitor is a sensible option.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:17 AM   #13

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
As stated earlier, a cheep inverter, and a small, (20W) solar cell. Or a 12 VDC powered baby monitor, (and solar). You might also want to look at upgrading your battery.

Way cheaper then a generator, and that will not annoy your neighbors.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:02 PM   #14

Name: Stephanie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Arizona
Being efficient in a Trilly

I am a newbie too for my 1979 Trillium 4500. I have gone through lots of trial and error and may have some simple ideas for you. I use a Costco DC battery on the tongue, but to make it last a week, I have swapped out the old light bulbs for same size LED ones. They only cost $10 for a dozen on Amazon. I also use a 4 in 1 charger from Harbor Freight (or similar type of store). It charges my phones, computer, etc for a very long time. I also bought a 300W ACDC inverter on Amazon for $27. I plug this into the DC jack on my van or into the 4 in 1 Charger. I wind up able to take care of all of my electrical needs without a generator or solar panels. The trilly electrical outlets only work if you plug the onboard inverter into an external electrical source. If it shorts, there is a reset button. My fridge is electrical and gas only. No instructions for any of this stuff, just had to figure it out on my own. Hope this helps.....And Keep Calm and Trilly On!
sdunshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:57 PM   #15

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensie View Post
A baby monitor doesn't draw to many amps, I just picked up a small 75 watt inverter from Canadian tire that fits in the 12 volt cigarette lighter plug to power my outdoor lights. But you might need a solar panel to charge the battery during daylight hours.
MotoMaster 75W Mobile Power Outlet | Canadian Tire

I have a 100 watt solar panel that can be bought on sale at Canadian at times for $199 and it works great.

I also have a 2000 watt champion generator/inverter it is pretty quiet but if it has to work it can be noisy and you don't want to piss the neighbours off.
Brilliant! Because how much do I want to admit that I didn't even think about the 12v lighter outlet.
This is probably my best option...Cheers!

Tags
generator, trillium