76 Trillium Furnace Removal - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2016, 01:43 PM   #1

Name: Lloyd
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
76 Trillium Furnace Removal

Just in case someone else is in the same boat, this might help.
The old Duotherm 65810-002 furnace was shot. Gas control valve and pilot light not working.
Removed grill and valve assy. Installed blanking plug in propane line. Removed mounting screws (4).
Center exhaust tube was totally seized and would not release after tapping, twisting, pounding, etc.
Following a suggestion in an old thread, I drilled out the pop rivets on the vent cover, then used Dremel cutting disc to expose and cut the center exhaust tube. Furnace slid out on the inside slick as could be. Now to close the hole and remount the vent cover.
This may work for any furnace that doesn't need to be salvaged.
Seagull42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 02:05 PM   #2

Name: Clayton
Trailer: 1975 Trillium
Alberta
Registry
I recently did the exact same thing. After drilling out the exterior rivets and removing the vent then bending the exhaust tube a bit, I was actually surprised at how easily the furnace slide out. Now to get my new Propex Heater installed!!!
Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:17 AM   #3

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
I recently did the exact same thing. After drilling out the exterior rivets and removing the vent then bending the exhaust tube a bit, I was actually surprised at how easily the furnace slide out. Now to get my new Propex Heater installed!!!
When you used your new Propex, you would share your evaluation of this product, with the members of this forum?
Which model would you choose?

Thank you,
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:54 PM   #4

Name: Clayton
Trailer: 1975 Trillium
Alberta
Registry
Hi Gilles, I will post photos of the install and an evaluation when I get it installed. I went with the Propex HS2800 model. It is the bigger 9500 BTU unit. I know that most other members on the forum that have went with the Propex heater have gone with the HS2000 model which is the 6500 BTU unit. We camp in the mountains where it often gets down to -5 degrees Celsius in the spring and fall.
Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:59 PM   #5

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
Hi Gilles, I will post photos of the install and an evaluation when I get it installed. I went with the Propex HS2800 model. It is the bigger 9500 BTU unit. I know that most other members on the forum that have went with the Propex heater have gone with the HS2000 model which is the 6500 BTU unit. We camp in the mountains where it often gets down to -5 degrees Celsius in the spring and fall.
Thank you Clayton,
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:26 PM   #6

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
We own a Trillium 4500 with the same old gravity furnace . I had a similar problem with the pilot light not working when I tried to fire it up in the spring . I ended up unbolting the pilot light and cleaning it out with a wire tip cleaner used by welders (bought at Canadian Tire) and with an air compressor hose blew it out . Darn tiny spiders love propane and clog up the pilot hole once in a while . Furnace works fine . Good thing about the old furnace you don't need electricity .
Old 04-26-2016, 05:43 PM   #7

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull42 View Post
Just in case someone else is in the same boat, this might help.
The old Duotherm 65810-002 furnace was shot. Gas control valve and pilot light not working.
Removed grill and valve assy. Installed blanking plug in propane line. Removed mounting screws (4).
Center exhaust tube was totally seized and would not release after tapping, twisting, pounding, etc.
Following a suggestion in an old thread, I drilled out the pop rivets on the vent cover, then used Dremel cutting disc to expose and cut the center exhaust tube. Furnace slid out on the inside slick as could be. Now to close the hole and remount the vent cover.
This may work for any furnace that doesn't need to be salvaged.
What are your plans for the old Furnace???? Some of us could use it's parts to repair their furnace... I know it might be expensive to ship but some of the parts might be reasonable, like the front cover and exterior vent if you are not going to use them....
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, trillium