77 Beachcomber - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2010, 08:52 AM   #1

Trailer: Beachcomber B15
Hey All... so we've just started pulling things apart and I'm just going to do some quick touch-ups and cosmetic fixes before a big holiday coming up.

Here are my issues/questions.

1. We have a small electric fridge that we _could_ replace our propane fridge... only I believe we will not be long in any sites that offer electrical service so we would have to run it off a battery for the most part. I am so clueless about how quickly this little fridge would suck the juice away. Is solar an option here? Should I just go with the propane if it will work? (less hassle/better anyway?)

2. I took the belly band off because it was layered with about 3 tubes of caulk and it's also broken in places. Does anyone know where I could find a replacement? It's black, about 2.5-3 inches wide and has a "chrome" strip down the middle which is actually plastic. I would consider doing something alternative (like the scamp chrome if it'll work)

3. The grey plastic piece inside the front/back plexiglass windows (I can take a picture) seems to be shrinking away from the corners and there is about a .5 inch gap at the top. I believe it used to fit at one point, now they have just gooped caulk into the corners and it looks horrible. I would like peel out the caulk and replace the trim or seal or whatever it is. I think I heard something about boiling the pieces to re-stretch them? I don't know if this is an option here or not.

That should be a good start! Of course we have other issues so it's not like this will be the last of it.... we have barely begun to peel away the layers of 'wtf did they do that for!?'.
Michelle GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
pictures would help a lot for explanations

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:59 AM   #3

3. The grey plastic piece inside the front/back plexiglass windows (I can take a picture) seems to be shrinking away from the corners and there is about a .5 inch gap at the top. I believe it used to fit at one point, now they have just gooped caulk into the corners and it looks horrible. I would like peel out the caulk and replace the trim or seal or whatever it is. I think I heard something about boiling the pieces to re-stretch them? I don't know if this is an option here or not.

OK here are some chots of the grey window 'seal' or trim that I think needs replacing. It's as tight as it will go and I'm almost positive it's original stuff so I'm assuming it has shrunken with time. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
June_10_163.jpg   June_10_164.jpg  

June_10_177.jpg  
Old 07-04-2010, 10:54 AM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs down

Quote:
1. We have a small electric fridge that we _could_ replace our propane fridge... only I believe we will not be long in any sites that offer electrical service so we would have to run it off a battery for the most part. [b]I am so clueless about how quickly this little fridge would suck the juice away. Is solar an option here? Should I just go with the propane if it will work? (less hassle/better anyway?)
Go with the propane if it works.

I tried to run a Koolatron Thermo-electric Cooler from a group 24 battery in my Compact Jr. In only 8 hours the battery went from a robust 12.6 volts output down to 8 volts output. It was so far discharged that it could not take a charge and had to be scrapped.

A dorm fridge run off an inverter would have similar results.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:01 PM   #5

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
the window trim you should be able to get at Standard or Apple auto glass, or if you have one close, a heavy equipment dealer like case, toromont, or komatsu, it should be very close to what they use on their windows.
The fridge, I would stick with propane, all electric fridges suck a lot of juice, no mater how new they are.

Get the make and model of the fridge and check our documents section, you might get lucky for a manual.

or check with the manufacturer if they're still around

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:45 PM   #6

Thanks for the advice. I think my husband is on your side as well... so I may have to pick another battle (and he wins a little beer fridge for the shop)

I have pulled a piece of the 'glazing bead' off one of the sliders to take into the glass shop with me. My hubby used to work for Toromont but does no longer... so that's a shame... could have got him to snag me some freebies.

I think I found some similar product on the vintage trailer supply site but I'm not sure enough to deal with shipping/conversion and all that jazz.

M

Quote:
the window trim you should be able to get at Standard or Apple auto glass, or if you have one close, a heavy equipment dealer like case, toromont, or komatsu, it should be very close to what they use on their windows.
The fridge, I would stick with propane, all electric fridges suck a lot of juice, no mater how new they are.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #7

Name: James
Trailer: beachcomber B15
British Columbia
Hi Michelle

We have the same problem with our front and rear windows on our 76 B15 Beachcomber.
My wife found water leaking in from back window due to the shrunken seal when cleaning it out after purchasing it on Monday.
If you find a seal that works, please let me know.
Much appreciated!
jamest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Michelle, your visible-on-the-forum profile doesn't display your home domicile. If we knew, generally, where you live... we may be able to give you more (or different) help in finding the seal for your windows.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
beachcomber