'77 Scamp, my first trailer!! :) - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2014, 08:25 AM   #21

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Shirley's plan is exactly what we do as well. Our Scamp has an icebox, but it isn't very efficient compared to a good portable ice chest. Since we cook outside anyway, we use the portable ice chest for cold storage and the inside icebox for temperature-stabilized storage of things like bread, chips, crackers, and produce (most of which doesn't really need or like ice anyway). BTW, be careful how and where you store canned goods, since things bounce around in a trailer, and more if your axle is nearing the end of its lifespan. Low is good. We put ours under the front sofa.

Back to the missing cooler… In your case, I'd say try out the (far!) cheaper solution first. If it works for you, great! If it doesn't, you can start planning for the upgrade later.

If you want to put an actual icebox in the hole, they're available from Scamp and also from other online sources, $100-120 as I recall. Scamp's shipping is expensive, so I'd look elsewhere first.* If you do, make sure you install the drain tube running through a hole OUTSIDE the trailer.

OTOH, if you are only going to use the space for dry storage for now, rig up some shelves inside and put a door (or even a curtain) over the opening. Keep it simple, and start camping!

EDIT - found some links in case you're interested… Looks like Scamp may be the better deal after all…
http://www.scamptrailers.com/parts-s...lts,16-15.html
http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/..._p/vts-712.htm
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:54 AM   #22

Name: sharon
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
paul, that was my guess too.
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:55 AM   #23

Virginia
thanks jon, I will check it out!
Old 05-31-2014, 10:23 AM   #24

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
If you want to put an actual icebox in the hole, they're available from Scamp and also from other online sources...
Delayed thought… if you do decide to go this route, I'd want to make sure the rough opening hasn't been altered. Some people remove the ice box, enlarge the hole, and put in an electric dorm fridge (saw one person even put a porta-potty there). You could call Scamp and ask for the size of the rough opening for their ice box, or PM me and I can put a tape measure to mine. Bottom line, though, if it isn't a simple drop-in replacement, it probably isn't worth the trouble.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:05 PM   #25

Virginia
jon, I read the reviews about iceboxes on the vintage trailers link you sent & it sounds like they're not worth the trouble - the drain tube gets clogged with ice, then water goes everywhere it shouldn't. some reviews said they were flimsy & poorly insulated. the only plus was that it fit the hole! not worth the money in my book. a couple of milk crates should stack nicely in there, & would hold plenty of canned goods, bread & crackers. thank you for saving me a lot of money!!!
Old 05-31-2014, 09:15 PM   #26

Virginia
let me ask a stupid question - where do you stow the cooler chest? in the tow vehicle? or on the floor of the camper? isn't that always in your way? since I was thinking of taking out the front bench seat to make a dinette, would it be worthwhile to make 1 seat a hollow docking station for a cooler?
Old 05-31-2014, 10:25 PM   #27

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
For me in the trailer, over the axle during the trip and either outside or in the tug depending on the outside temp.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:30 PM   #28

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon_b View Post
let me ask a stupid question - where do you stow the cooler chest? in the tow vehicle? or on the floor of the camper? isn't that always in your way? since I was thinking of taking out the front bench seat to make a dinette, would it be worthwhile to make 1 seat a hollow docking station for a cooler?
We store it on the trailer floor right in front of the icebox when towing. There is still plenty of room to move around if we stop en route. Once we get to our destination, it's one of the first things we take out. We cook outside, so that's where it stays. If there are issues with animals, it goes in the TV at night.

Because the floor is higher under the front sofa, I don't think there would be enough clearance for an ice chest. I really don't have any other bright ideas to offer, either.

Regarding the reviews, on our first trip I used the ice chest as intended. I didn't have trouble with the drain tube clogging, but the other comments apply. And it's really tiny. The only reason I can think of to put one in would be to restore the original appearance.

Tags
scamp