'77 Scamp, my first trailer!! :) - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-27-2014, 10:49 PM   #1

Name: sharon
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
'77 Scamp, my first trailer!! :)

I just got a '77 scamp & need help & parts. where can I get older marker lights? (website only has new). what is the metal bar inside above the door for? how do I redo the gelcoat? did this have rear bumper jacks? what do you suggest for a fridge? the water tank straps were rusted out but do I really need them? did this model have a waste water tank? if so, where? did it have a battery? where does that go? how do I add a city water hookup? the florescent light looks bad, where can I get another? the 2 small round interior light covers have holes burned in them, is that from incorrect bulbs? can I get new covers?
can you tell I'm real excited about this??

Old 05-27-2014, 11:21 PM   #2

Name: Gene
North Dakota
Registry
Marker lights are not brand specific. Do an on line search or check out the local parts stores. Check out the thread on here about Poliglow. That or Zep will take care of putting a good shin on your camper. Do a search of camper salvage yards on Google. May be you can find a used fridge. New is rather pricey. Find one that is at least gas & AC. If there is a sink where does the water drain? Most camper sales have light fixtures you can use. No need to copy what's there.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:26 AM   #3

Virginia
thanks gene! the sink drain goes nowhere - literally! its not attached to anything. and there is a drain plug on the outside of the camper beside it, & its not connected to anything either :P that's why I'm confused
Old 05-28-2014, 08:56 AM   #4

Name: Kevin & Lisa
Trailer: Scamp16
Ohio
Pictures will definitely expedite answers to your question.... the thing that looks like a drain plug may be the city water hookup... and if that leads nowhere - either the water line was taken out or the hot water heater was taken out completely.

metal bar in the closet - clothes hanger.... or is there one inside the camper door on the roof?

look underneath to see if there is a waste water tank.

battery probably sits on the tongue... are there any wires coming out of the front of the camper?

the florescent light runs on 120v so will only work if you are plugged in to shore power. can be replaced with any light. LED options will be recommended by most.

.... welcome to the labor of love
Old 05-28-2014, 09:18 AM   #5

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
By the Numbers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon_b View Post
I just got a '77 scamp & need help & parts. where can I get older marker lights? (website only has new). what is the metal bar inside above the door for? how do I redo the gelcoat? did this have rear bumper jacks? what do you suggest for a fridge? the water tank straps were rusted out but do I really need them? did this model have a waste water tank? if so, where? did it have a battery? where does that go? how do I add a city water hookup? the florescent light looks bad, where can I get another? the 2 small round interior light covers have holes burned in them, is that from incorrect bulbs? can I get new covers?
can you tell I'm real excited about this??
Get fresh cup of coffee and relax....

First, you have a very early Scamp and it has, no doubt, been through a lot of owners and changes in 35+ years.

Next, most were very basic and some of the things you are looking for may have never existed in your RV.

And last, restoration to original isn't a consideration 99% of the time.

Here's some answers:

1. As mentioned, marker lights are fairly generic. Use this opportunity to replace & reseal all of them as the hole under them is a potential leak point. Sources abound, but installing LED markers is a great idea at this time.

2. I don't think that metal bar is original. Can you post a pic?

3. As mentioned, a good cleaning with Barkeepers friend and about 4-5 coats of ZEP wet-look floor wax is one good idea but, if you have to replace any decals, do that before waxing. Many owners even go so far as to painting as, after 40 years, the gel coat is usually long gone. Painting is it's on topic, come back and ask if that's something of interest.

4. I don't know if the early Scamps had rear stabilizers built in like the later one of not. But, if not the aluminum stabilizer stands work just fine. But you do need something back there.

5 Adding a 2 or 3 way fridge is a major project if none was originally installed. You might want to ask about alternatives hereabouts.

6. YES, the water tank has to be tied down, no questions about that.

7. If your Scamp ever had a Gray tank it would be under the chassis, just behind the axle. But most didn't have one. The sink drain should be connected to the port going through the wall and a hose and pail are used to collect sink drain water when it can't run to the ground.

8. If equipped, the battery would have usually been on the tongue.

9. Scamps usually has a separate faucet for city water. These parts (faucet, hose and input fitting) are available from most RV supply sources.

10. As for the Fluorescent fixture, look at most hardware stores, it's a standard 120 VAC fixture. Actually I'd just toss it and replace it with a new 12 volt LED light.

11. There are lots of those covers around, but take the opportunity to replace the entire fixture with an LED light. You will get more light and, when you add a battery, it will last a lot longer when you are running off of battery.

It sounds like you have lots of opportunity to create a really nice Scamp for yourself in the coming months/years. Here's a few other items you should check.

1. Tires: No matter how good they look, check the date codes. Tires over 6 years old should be replaced, including the spare tire.

2. Wheel Bearings: Unless you have some documentation in hand that these were inspected and repacked within the past year, this needs to be dome before any trips.

3. Axle. Look at newer Scamps and compare how much more ground clearance they might have. At 35+ years most Scamps will have experienced moderate to severe axle sag and that may need some attention.

Good Luck, have fun and ask lots of questions.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:25 AM   #6

Virginia
thanks! I will try to get some pics.
since this only has a pumper not faucets, I'm guessing there would be no hot water tank?
no water tank underneath.
the individual wires out the front appear to be the running lights going to the hitch. then there is a cord & plug
metal bar in the "closet" I can understand. this metal bar goes over the exit door on the inside - for a screen maybe?
Old 05-28-2014, 09:34 AM   #7

California
A water heater was a fairly high level option and included a pressure demand pump etc.
I'd find out what that Cord & Plug connect to before applying power.
Is there any icebox or refrigerator currently installed?
Old 05-28-2014, 09:38 AM   #8

Virginia
thanks bob! it's funny you mentioned the tires. the seller kicked them hard to show they were still good, but I had a blowout on the way home that's when I discovered my truck lug wrench didn't fit the trailer lugs! I have replaced both tires, got a scissor jack & the right wrench.
I found plastic stabilizers under the sink - are those ok?
there are some dings & minor crazing to the fiberglass, would it be better to paint first or try a good waxing first?
Old 05-28-2014, 09:42 AM   #9

Virginia
no icebox or fridge, just a big hole
Old 05-28-2014, 10:01 AM   #10

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Casita patriot
Colorado
Hi Sharon and congratulations on your first trailer/camper. I love to hear these stories because I get to re-live my excitement all over again.
Because you have so many "to do's", let me tell you what I do in my Casita and I'll say up front, I was a tent camper before and these things just work for me:
I don't use the refrigerator. Instead, I use the refrigerator space to store my dry food goods like bread, cookies, chips, canned goods....etc. I have a cooler that stores all my cold items and I like it because I know how to pack it and keep it cold....just works for me. I don't fill my water tank but instead have water in gallon jugs for drinking and in a larger collapsible jug for dish washing, etc. I cook, eat and wash dishes outside the camper when I can...simply because we enjoy that more. I just thought I would throw these suggestions out to let you know you don't have to fix everything right away....just make 'er safe and then go camping and enjoy.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:21 AM   #11

California
Quote:
no icebox or fridge, just a big hole
Sounds like a real sweetheart of a seller.... was he also offering any special deals on vitamins or cleaning products? LOL

OK, Ya got a hole where something was at.

If it was an icebox there won't be any holes or large vents on the outside. If it was a refrigerator you will find at least 1 and maybe 2 large vents, directly behind the hole, on the outside and, hopefully, a capped-off LP line.

If the former, it's a lot of work to update to a 2 or 3 way fridge and another icebox might be a good idea for now. If it did have a refrigerator, something like a Dometic RM-2193 might be a good choice. New they are very expensive, close to $800 but used one of similar size show up on Craigslist end elsewhere on a regular basis. If you opt to look for a used one, come back and get some tips on what to check before buying.

Keep asking and telling.....
Old 05-28-2014, 11:27 AM   #12

California
Quote:
thanks bob! it's funny you mentioned the tires. the seller kicked them hard to show they were still good, but I had a blowout on the way home that's when I discovered my truck lug wrench didn't fit the trailer lugs! I have replaced both tires, got a scissor jack & the right wrench.
I found plastic stabilizers under the sink - are those ok?
there are some dings & minor crazing to the fiberglass, would it be better to paint first or try a good waxing first?
I've not seen any plastic stabilizers. Could they be leveling blocks, like giant Lego's ?

I'd give it good clean-up on the outside and use it a while before applying ZEP or thinking about repainting.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:53 AM   #13

Virginia
thank you Shirley! I like your food storage ideas!
Old 05-28-2014, 11:59 AM   #14

Virginia
bob, you're a real hoot! there is no vent outside the 'fridge' area. I had no idea a fridge would be so expensive sounds like Shirley's plan is a better way to go.
the stabilizers are shaped like this & are red plastic Ultra-Fab Stackable Stabilizers for Small Trailers and Campers - 6,000 lbs - Qty 2 Ultra-Fab Products Trailer Jack UF48-979003

Tags
scamp