79 elmac trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2008, 08:29 AM   #1

Trailer: El Macho
I bought this trailer and it looks identical to a boler trailer inside and out except for the tail lights, has anybody seen or heard of elmac trailers? what little info that I found was that the scamp,boler and elmac were made from the same people, I am trying to figure out if it is a vintage trailer or very few made.
Attached Thumbnails
elmac_.jpg  
gregs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:14 AM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
The elmac is new to me ...

I see one sticker on the curbside. Are there other stickers, plates or ? Can you post pictures of them?

It looks to have come from the same or similar molds, but some of the things look like post production mods. For example the frame, vent at the front bench seat and drip rail over the rear window are different than most.

There is a thread on the boler history started a while back, you might get some info there, or I'd really appreciate seeing anything you can add. Here is the link:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=21173

On second thought, any chance your elmac might be an el macho?
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=29016
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...st&id=16252

tom w a member here has had one for about a decade now.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
On second thought, any chance your elmac might be an el macho?
I bet you've hit it, Roy I've seen lots of times where the DMV has abbreviated a brand name on the title (assuming that's where gregs is getting the "elmac" from).

So, eliminate the space, cut off the last two letters, and you have "elmac."

R.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:07 PM   #4

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
The frame and spare tire carrier are very different too...

The frame is welded and square (not bent) - and the spare is a welded component of the frame.

Abbreviated makes:
I have a trailer titled as a UNK (It's really a HiPoint). Took me at least a year to figure out they didn't mistake it for a Unik or some such thing, but instead were titling it as UNKnown.

mkw
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 03:43 PM   #5

Quote:
I've seen lots of times where the DMV has abbreviated a brand name on the title (assuming that's where gregs is getting the "elmac" from).
That makes a lot of sense Raya. Oddly enough the NY DMV added some letters to the VIN on my trailer for their documentation. Seems they used to have some unwritten funny codes to ID the type of "vehicle" registered for their own purposes prior to the 13 digit standards coming into effect. (rates maybe?).

When I transfered everything to Ontario, they would not alter what was on the NY DMV documents even though my trailer does not have the the "funny NY DMV codes" as part of the original serial number. I assume that will only be a problem when it comes time to sell my trailer. Oh well ... guess I better make another News Years resolution to write a letter to the MOT (Ministry of Transport) and see if I can get this resolved.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:40 PM   #6

Trailer: El Macho
Quote:
That makes a lot of sense Raya. Oddly enough the NY DMV added some letters to the VIN on my trailer for their documentation. Seems they used to have some unwritten funny codes to ID the type of "vehicle" registered for their own purposes prior to the 13 digit standards coming into effect. (rates maybe?).

When I transfered everything to Ontario, they would not alter what was on the NY DMV documents even though my trailer does not have the the "funny NY DMV codes" as part of the original serial number. I assume that will only be a problem when it comes time to sell my trailer. Oh well ... guess I better make another News Years resolution to write a letter to the MOT (Ministry of Transport) and see if I can get this resolved.
yes I have seen the DMV abbreviate a name on the title but that is not the case here, the trailer had a sticker on the side that clearly said elmac, I believe it was manufactured in canada, the guy I got it from brought it down from there.
gregs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:50 PM   #7

Quote:
the trailer had a sticker on the side that clearly said elmac, I believe it was manufactured in canada
Love to see a picture of that sticker then. Possibly one more trailer to add to the boler descendants.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:01 PM   #8

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
It does sound as though you have a "new" type of Boler clone. and not an abbreviated title type of mistake. I hope you will take photos of the details so that they can be added to the home page. It's such a great resource for finding info and photos of unusual trailers.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote