79 Trillium 4500 Where do I start!? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #15

Trailer: Trillium 4500
This where I'm headed....
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...l=trillium+4500
Belly band replaced, 4" lift, 15" wheels, two tone paint, ect.....
Just not sure how to proceed with the belly band project, I would guess that the gap left by the alum. could be filled with automotive fiberglass body filler (AKA Bondo) sanded and painted. I haven't worked with the stuff and am afraid of the can-o-worms aspect. I think that the wife would rather I adhere to the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" moto.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:14 PM   #16

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Scott,

If you are planning to put the wide rubber trim on (like the green one above), then you can be quite a bit less artistic in your filling. You will still want to be careful about prep, and level the surface, but it won't have to look like glass (which, if you are painting will be more demanding of final fairness).

Personally, I'm not a fan of bondo on fiberglass. But that's because I come from a boating background, and on boats it doesn't perform as well as something like epoxy filler. You might be able to get away with bondo on a trailer; I'm just not sure.

That said, epoxy resin and fillers are not that hard to work with. If you are reasonably tidy, and have made things with Play-Doh, you are probably good to go

Why not take a look at the belly band attachment plates from the inside? If they are not rusted and bulging... Oh wait, did you say someone had re-riveted the band on yours and thus penetrated the shell to the inside? If so, and if the band is well-adhered on the outside and looking good, you could also just put a layer of fiberglass on the inside where you have holes (smooth off any protruding rivet end first). If you do that, you'll have it really easy on the cosmetic side of things, although you'll have to peel back and then re-glue some ensolite.

Could you show some photos of what you have?

Raya

Old 09-07-2009, 08:21 PM   #17

Raya,
I manufacture skis for a living, so I'm used to epoxy and glass, but the epoxy I'm used to is the viscosity of honey (kinda' tough to stuff into a vertical surface). I think I have seen a 2 part marine epoxy with a viscosity more like thick peanut butter; that might work if it won't sag to much. Pics. of my problem won't really help, as it's not really a problem...yet. I'm considering a full, exterior, paint job over the winter, this seam, seems like a likely future issue and nipping it in the bud, from the outside seems smarter than waiting for a problem, and peeling foam on the inside (the inside ensolite is my trailer reno. fobia).
Old 09-07-2009, 10:51 PM   #18

Hi Scott,

Skis, that sounds fun. And Telluride... of course!

It sounds as though you may be working with "neat" epoxy. That is, just resin and hardener mixed together in a specific ratio. Honey sounds about right.

To make thickened epoxy, you just stir in one or more thickeners, depending on what you want the epoxy to do. Some fillers make it stronger, some make it less runny, and others make it easier to sand. They're not too expensive, and you just stir them in after you've mixed the resin and hardener. No measuring is necessary as you just start with a small amount and keep adding until you get the right consistency for your use. They usually are described as things like "mayonnaise, ketchup, peanut butter" and etc. so that it's pretty universal.

WEST System is one popular brand of epoxy products and they put out an absolutely fantastic "User Manual" that is free and is packed with information about how to mix, what to use each thing for, and techniques for bonding, fairing, patching... you name it. These same techniques will work with most any brand of two-part epoxy and generic or "other brand" fillers, too. I'd highly recommend it. I happen to have one right in front of me, and it's part number 002-950 It's completely free.

You can also look at each chapter online at the address below. The first sections, where each thing you can click on has a line illustration of a hand doing the various steps is the book, chapter by chapter.

www.westsystem.com

Other common brands of epoxy resin used in boating are System Three, Raka, and MAS (plus there are others).

I would be thinking along the same lines as you are if I were considering an exterior paint job. That would be the time to take action on the belly band, whichever method you settle on.

Raya
Old 10-11-2009, 06:38 PM   #19

Name: Randy
Trailer: (4) Trillium 4500, (4) Trillium 1300, (1) Scamp,(1) Burro 16'
Ardmore, Alabama

I removed the Belly Band on mine and installed a 2" car trim and i like it a lot better...will probably remove the one on my other Trillium and do the same...The roll was 34' long and cost $38.00 with free shipping and was able to go all the way around without splicing it and had about 14" left over it's wider than the orginal band and helped coverup some bad places...I removed the old band dug out all the old metal that was bulging out fill the holes with short strand fiberglas filler I got from O'Reillys Auto Parts store sanded everything smooth ran a bead of Construction Adhesive right on the center and stuck the trim on mashed it real hard to get the adhesive to grab..The trim comes with 2 strips of 3M double sided tape on it but I wanted to be able to carry it to the car wash and not be afraid of blowing it loose and believe me it's not going anywhere... Here's a couple of pictures...

Old 10-11-2009, 10:50 PM   #20

That's a really nice look - thanks for posting photos. I like that it has a touch of "chrome" to give a bit of sparkle reminiscent of the original (over just a solid rubber trim). In fact, I think I like it better than the original

Can you give a part number/source/where you got it, for future reference?

By the way, I got some metal badges for the grille of my car (Volvo used to give out a badge for every 100,000 miles), and they came with that white foam stuff adhered to the back that you then peel a bit of paper off and then stick on somewhere. I had my doubts (and actually made a backup of metal/wire/3M 5200 caulk), but that stuff has been sticking like the devil even on the front of my car. Not that your solution isn't good too, but that stuff might be better than it would seem.

Again, very cool!

Raya
Old 10-12-2009, 08:09 PM   #21

Randy,
Thanks for the post. Trim looks great, but I'm curious what it looked like after the body work. I'm still considering the no trim look. Is the trim ness. to cover the seam, or could it be filled and sanded to look good? I'm planning on painting the whole exterior.
On a second note; how did you get your fiberglass window covers to look so great? Mine was repainted and is now a peeling mess.
My weekend consisted of reconfiguring the tongue to fit 2 T-105 batteries and 2 propane tanks. Mounted the TV. Ordered the new axle, 14" wheels and tires, new 2" coupler and jack, new crank down rear stabilizers. Now I'm home icing my wallet!
Old 10-12-2009, 08:27 PM   #22

Name: Chris
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Nova Scotia
Registry
Response to second note above:

Mine looked pretty awful on the outside but were like new on the inside - so I unscrewed the window guard as best I could and flipped the panels around.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:39 PM   #23

Name: Randy
Trailer: (4) Trillium 4500, (4) Trillium 1300, (1) Scamp,(1) Burro 16'
Ardmore, Alabama
It looked pretty good execpt where the previous owner pumped it fuul of silcone and where the metal anchor pieces were located some were swelled out pretty bad with chuncks of rust, thats why I choose the 2" strip..I dugg out all the old pieces and fiberglassed the entire joint around the camper then glued and stuck the trim on, the camper is not painted in the picture.. i usually sand the entire camper down with 400 grit paper on a orbital sander then polish them with marine polish, haven't got to polishing it yet it's been raining here seams like 40 days and 40 nights...I really don't like painting these( I've owned around 12 of these from Burro's,Scamps,Casits,Trillium's and 1 U-haul still got 4) I like to keep them orginal, Had one once that had been painted and the paint kept chipping really bad on the front from road hazzards..But it wasn't a really good paint job to begin with...hope this helps....I know if you plan to paint yours it will take a good bit of work to get every wiggle, bump and offset out to make it completely smooth, in some locations the top half is about 1/8" to 1/4" out of alignment... but it can be done...

The window guard was sanded as well and the aluminum windows were in really bad shape they looked nearly bad from the tarnish but I've found something that really makes those aluminum frames pop..It's Eagle 1 Mag etching cleaner spray it on and it foams up like a alka seltzer and you just spray it off.....Hope this helps

Tags
trillium