'83 Burro Floor Replacement - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-22-2010, 11:14 PM   #15

Trailer: Burro 13 ft
I'm staring to feel the same way as I enter my second month of near fulltime resto on my Burro. I thought I could get away with a few quickies and now have a full blown, all systems rebuild. Has to be ready for august trip to Alaska!

Old 07-06-2010, 10:21 AM   #16

Trailer: Burro
Ok, I'm back! Some family stuff got in the way but this past weekend I was back on the floor project. Basically the frame is all done, the floor was all removed (including really cleaning out the fiberglass lip where the new floor will sit), and new plywood was cut and test fit. Next I will paint all the pieces of the floor with POR 15 or Herculiner (not sure which) to hopefully make the floor impervious to water and place them back in the Burro.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0260.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	29337
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0261.JPG  

Old 07-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #17

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I don't know anything about how POR 15 works on wood. But I do know that epoxy resin makes a good coating. Only caveat is that it is not UV resistant, so it needs paint or something over it where it will encounter UV.

OTOH, if there are no freshwater leaks into the trailer from above, either coating is more of a bonus (and I'm sure there WILL BE NO leaks after you have done all this work on the floor!)

Raya

Edit to clarify: Road water from below does not seem to be much of a problem, even on fairly vulnerable wood. It's "freshwater" leaks from above that does the typical damage.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:02 PM   #18

Trailer: Burro
Well, after some more thought I'm going to POR 15 the edges that slip into the fiberglass lip (I have some left over from the frame so that should work out well). The concern is some spots were really tight with the plywood and I'm worried the bedliner may make it too thick, so the POR 15 shouldn't be as thick. I bought some Rustoleum bedliner and will use that on each side of the remaining plywood.

It's funny, while I'm much more knowledgeable than before I started this project I certainly don't want to do this again anytime soon!
Old 09-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #19

Name: Ming
Trailer: Burro 13
California
Shane, the floor looks great! How did the rest of the Burro turn out?

We're embarking on our own floor tear-down right now. We used your method of jacking the shell up in the corners to remove the frame from underneath. Worked great! We've ripped out all the floor that we can see, and are cutting away the glassed bits of the floor.However, now we're a little unsure of how to remove all the bits of rotted floor from between the two layers of fiberglass and fit in a new floor.

Can you give us some tips on how to fit in new plywood? When you removed the rotted bits between the fiberglass, did the two layers of fiberglass collapse on itself and close the gap? How did you shape and fit the plywood floor with the shell up on jacks?

Also, when you were cleaning up your frame, did you remove all the rust before applying POR15, or did you paint right over it? Our frame looks like this currently, and I'm working on grinding away the rust.

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0073.jpg   IMG_0068.jpg  

Old 09-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #20

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Ming, it's doubtful you'll hear from Shane he had Last Activity: 07-01-2011 10:36 AM here on FiberglassRV.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:54 PM   #21

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1978 Burro
Michigan
burro floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Mike and Raya, I think this is the topic: Starting the Burro floor replacement

then there's this one: Replacing Burro floor
Hi Donna, the two links you've provided won't open for me for some reason. thanks.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:41 PM   #22

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneQ View Post
Hi Donna, the two links you've provided won't open for me for some reason. thanks.
Those links were from years ago. For some reason, all the great archive threads and links are either dead or dying....

I've found them again, try these: Starting the Burro floor replacement

Replacing Burro floor
Old 02-13-2016, 09:50 PM   #23

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1978 Burro
Michigan
burro floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Those links were from years ago. For some reason, all the great archive threads and links are either dead or dying....

I've found them again, try these: Starting the Burro floor replacement

Replacing Burro floor
Thanks Donna! You are on the ball!!!http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/images/smilies/flowers.gif
Old 02-13-2016, 09:54 PM   #24

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneQ View Post
Thanks Donna! You are on the ball!!!
Glad to help

Tags
burro