83 Burro restoration - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-14-2018, 05:10 AM   #15

Name: George
Trailer: 83 Burro
Illinois
Sorry for the accusation Bill. I should have said "A previous owner" instead of "The previous owner". It must have been someone before you.

I looked at the exterior lights, and I like the way they were sealed. I haven't checked out the outlets yet. I did order a power inlet to replace the mouse hole though. I'm going to look at every hole in the shell before I take this out of my garage.

The floor pieces are ready to go in. I'm waiting on a fiberglass order that should arrive Thursday. Then I'll install them, seal them togetherr and to the shell. I'll put some pictures on this site soon.

GWMattson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:09 AM   #16

Name: Bill
Trailer: Burro 1983 13'
Wisconsin
Thanks for the apology George.
I just wanted to set the record straight.
It sounds like you are really making
progress on her. If you are like ANY of
the engineers I know this thing will be
bullet proof when you are done! Lol
Looking forward to the photos of your
work. Are you thinking of doing a
paint job as well? Also there is no
converter wasn't one when I got it
but I always boondocked and had the
solar so never really plugged in. I did
redo the 110 and put in a 30 amp box
One of the previous owners had the 110
with exposed wires under the sink!
I did replace all the light fixtures and
put in LED bulbs.

Burro Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:05 AM   #17

Illinois
I don't think I'll be painting it. I think the shell looks pretty good. Especially when you consider it's age. I've just got a little gel coat touch up to do. I also plan on keeping all of your new lighting. I was a little upset that I had to remove the ceiling trim you put in so I could take the windows out. I was careful and didn't damage it and should be able to put it back in. I do plan on getting a different converter so I can charge the battery off the alternator, AC, or the solar panel. That can wait though. Right now, getting the floor back in and all leaks fixed is my priority.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:18 PM   #18

Trailer: Burro 1983 13'
Wisconsin
The. ceiling is one my favorite things
in the camper! I didn't think it would
be that hard to remove. The shell
really is in pretty good condition
for her age. Once you get the floor
in the rest should seem easier.
(I hope!) lol
Remember this group loves photos!
Burro Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:55 PM   #19

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Lots of information on polishing the old FG trailers. I followed the recommendations of Randy Bishop. It really makes a difference!

Check this out NOT Poliglow...Time will tell..
thrifty bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:17 PM   #20

Illinois
I had hoped to have the floor in by now, but I ran out of fiberglass cloth. UPS lost the cloth, so I finished up with the windows and started looking at the rest of the camper. There is a rubber strip that's been added over the door. It looks like a rain gutter. On one side of it, whatever was holding it on isn't holding anymore. I have no idea what to use for gluing this rubber strip to the fiberglass shell. Does anybody know?

I contacted UPS help, and after about 5 minutes I got through to an actual person. They found my package. I'm not sure where it went to, but it must be far away. It's scheduled to arrive on Monday.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:35 PM   #21

Trailer: Burro
Idaho
1983 Burro

I also have a 1983 Burro I知 restoring. Previous owner started work on it and did the new floor with marine plywood. He used epoxy resin on both sides for waterproofing but not fiberglass. I think that will be sufficient and don稚 plan to fiberglass. The interior acrylic shell was partially removed on mine so I知 adding insulation wherever possible. You will notice that there are lots of places between the interior and exterior shells that are hollow and where you could use the expandable foam to insulate, if you want. If you remove the door latch, you値l see that the door is hollow and a good candidate for foam. I知 using Reflectix to insulate because it is flexible and easy to follow the curves in the shell. I致e been cautioned, however, that there should be a gap between the Reflectix and the shell so it will be a better insulator. Wiring, floor covering, plumbing, and cabinets will be other projects.
cda will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:55 AM   #22

Illinois
The previous owner had insulated all the compartments with foil backed insulation. I removed them so I could work on the floor. But I plan to put them back in after I'm sure I eliminated all the leaks. They will hide leaks and moisture can collect beneath them. I'm a little worried about using expandable foam. I've used it for windows in my house before and had to be careful about putting too much in. It's pretty powerful stuff and spraying it into an enclosed space could be bad. I'm not familiar with Reflectix. Does it have this problem too?
Old 11-18-2018, 08:35 AM   #23

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Had a great time with my first trailer, a very neglected 1981.
Here'a my contribution to this thread:

MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 12:23 PM   #24

Idaho
Burro

Well, I知 not sure about your concerns about the expandable foam other than it is difficult to control the amount of expansion without being able to trim it off when it expands past edges. It is routinely used to insulate between walls of older houses and it is also used on bare cement walls. When used on open walls, they generally spray it between furring strips that allows trimming to a uniform thickness where the foam expands above the furring strips. I think trying to fur out the inside of my trailer would be prohibitive.

As far as Reflectix goes, it was developed for use in the space program. It is flexible. The stuff I知 using is two feet wide and comes in various length rolls. It is about 1/4 thick and looks similar to foil covered bubble wrap. As I mentioned, I致e been told that for it to be maximally effective, a gap needs to be maintained between the Reflectix and the trailer shell. Foam or fiberglass insulation may be more effective but I知 using the Reflectix because of its ease of installation.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:40 PM   #25

Illinois
My concerns with expandable foam come from what I've heard from others. I've been told to be careful spraying it into enclosed areas because it can expand and bend or break things. I never used it for this. I've only used it for open areas such as window frames where it can expand outwards.

Your description of Reflectix sounds like the insulation that was in the interior compartments of my Burro. I think it's very good stuff. I'm definitely going to put it back in when I'm sure that I eliminated all the leaks.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:55 PM   #26

Illinois
Myron, nice job on the Burro. I was especially interested in the window replacement. I just finished up removing, cleaning up, and re-sealing my windows. The windows looked pretty old. I was wondering if I'll need to replace them. I'll find out after I'm done and I take it out of the garage into the rain.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:27 AM   #27

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Regarding window replacement.... absurdly expensive if you order new from Hehr, so I found the best move is to search eBay, or find a salvage yard, or even seek out the nearest trailer sales, repairs shop for used. Big big savings there, just takes time to find the size that fits. In my case, I had to alter the rough openings, but if you're up for that it is really worth the trouble. Found people will also even special order windows from a shop but then stiff them-- never pick them up, so they get stacked out back. It's like finding jewels.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:41 AM   #28

Idaho
Thanks, Myron. Good tip on finding windows.

Tags
burro