97 Casita priced right? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #1

Name: Ebie
Trailer: Kieferbuilt 3H LQ
Oklahoma
97 Casita priced right?

I'm looking at a 1997 Casita 16' Deluxe. Has everything I want. Everything works and looks well cared for for its age and use, according to seller. Emailed photos look great. Have not seen it in person yet--was going this weekend about 300 miles. She has it priced at 5200. Is this reasonable? My friend/banker looked it up and said too high. Paying cash. But I also know there are not many around. (Oklahoma) Any info would be appreciated. Thank you.
Ebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #2

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Ebie, I bought my 1996 17 foot Casita for $7000 several years ago. I'm pretty sure that i could sell it for the same price tomorrow if I wasn't so busy using it. Sometimes people shopping for trailers compare our little eggs with regular trailers and there's really no comparison. Fiberglass trailers don't depreciate as much as stickies.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I think buying a fiberglass trailer requires changing one's mind set. Most things have a 'use by date' on them because they expire in a fixed time after the sale. Not so with fiberglass trailers. If they have had any care they can last for ever.

If it's in good condition $5200 is a good price, I spent more for my 1991 Scamp 16 and have not regretted it for one day. It's now 22 years old. They really do stand up. They have earned their value.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Your friend the "banker" is probably going by blue book which is a joke in the glass market.

Check and compare prices here in the for sale sub-forums as well as Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

Good Luck!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:26 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
If in good shape, I think the price is good. I sold my 2000 three years ago for $7800 and have regretted it ever since. They seem to be going up in value.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Oh, and if it were located near Minnesota I would be looking at it and maybe beat you to it. LOL

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I wonder what your bankers qualifications are for pricing FGRV's.

If it is in anything but Fixer condition it sound like GTA (grand theft, trailer) to me.... Ooops, maybe that's what he doesn't like about it, to much of a steal.... LOL

Or maybe he wants to buy it when you walk away. remember, he is a banker.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #8

Name: Ebie
Trailer: Kieferbuilt 3H LQ
Oklahoma
Thank you all. Going after it tomorrow with cash. I feel good about it and appreciate all advice. My RV is a 3 horse aluminum Living Quarter gooseneck...but now down to one horse and am about finished with showing horses and prefer this easy to pull, "fun" rv. Thnx. Ebie
And the friend did looked it up on NADA. btw, what does stickie stand for?? lol
Ebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Sticky refers to conventional "Stick Built" trailers, the kind with flat surfaces and lots of edges and seams that can leak.

Apparently NADA goes by declared prices paid as reported to the DMV or state government. Most FGRV's are sold private party to private party and actual selling prices are reduced when reported to reduce sale tax consequences. With sales tax at almost 10% in CA, every $100 you knock off of the claimed sales price is $10 that stays in your pocket. As a result, NADA prices for RV's over 5 years old are often 1/4th to 1/3rd typical selling prices.

I am only reporting this phenomena, I am not suggesting it or recommending it.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:58 AM   #10

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Good luck, hope it's not sold before you get there.

Take along the buyers check list, Fiberglass RV - Document Center - BuyersChecklist

crawl around, under it, in and around it! Know what your buying!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita