97 Casita problems??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2015, 08:39 PM   #1

Name: A J
Trailer: 1972 Trillium
Minnesota
97 Casita problems???

Or maybe I should say "trouble spots".... I will be looking at a '97 17 ft casita and was wondering what typical "weak spots" or " trouble areas" might be typical? After 18 years do the floors go soft? Or plumbing start to leak? or....... ? Thanks, A J
AJnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:04 AM   #2

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
A J,
You should join Casita Travel Trailer Forum. Very active forum with many more owners of the brand posting.

Casita Travel Trailer Forum
Old 03-29-2015, 05:44 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We bought a well cared for '96 Casita 17 4 months ago and spent the winter in it. Did some quick maintenance right after purchase, serviced the wheel bearings, inspected the brakes, added a high mount stop light, and headed south for the winter. Only a couple minor issues; slight water leak around the radio antenna, small leak on bathroom faucet, couple cabinet hinge pins fell out and screws loose and a cabinet latch was broken. Otherwise no problems. They are heavy on the tongue, had to buy a bigger tow vehicle so got a 2012 Dodge Ram pickup.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:45 AM   #4

Minnesota
Thanks

I'll do that.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:54 AM   #5

Minnesota
Thanks Mary and/or Bob for the reply. I was hoping to find a liberty deluxe, but the sellers says it is a SD, but by the pics it looks like FD. I'll find out tomorrow. Tell me.......... what bed configuration do you use/like most on your Liberty?
Old 03-29-2015, 06:59 AM   #6

New York
We keep the rear bed made up all the time, same as we do with our Uhaul. In the Uhaul we used 5" foam with a 3" memory foam topper, mattress pad and standard sheets. The previous owner of the Casita put memory foam on top of the original cushions and enclosed it all in the cover of a futon mattress. We found this to be quite comfortable as long as the bed was warm, otherwise the memory foam became quite hard. Full size mattress pad and sheets fit good. We spent the winter on the coast of Georgia near Brunswick. Like most of the country it was cooler than normal so we had an electric blanket on the bed. Would turn it on an hour ahead, so we would get into a nice warm bed, then turn off the blanket. Have heard that Southern Mattress in North Carolina makes a mattress to fit the Casitas. Considering that, but heard they are in the $800 price range. Although we like our Uhaul camper and don't intend to sell it, the Casita worked much better for longer term camping. The bathroom of course was a big plus, as is the side dinette, more storage, and hot water. We know the previous owners who only had it for a couple years and feel we got a good deal at $7500.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:18 AM   #7

Minnesota
side dinette?

OK... so you use the bed as a double, not a king or twins.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:41 AM   #8

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJnK View Post
OK... so you use the bed as a double, not a king or twins.
Exactly. We did look in another Casita, not sure what model, that had the longer rear side seating that would go into twin beds. The owner had modified it for those beds to be wider. Then they came and looked at ours and the wife commented she like ours better. Ours has the shorter rear dinette that with the table down is a double bed.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:45 AM   #9

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
You should also check out Casita Club.

Somewhere here is a checklist you can use when purchasing a FG camper. Perhaps someone will chime in with the link.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:07 AM   #10

Minnesota
I think the one you looked at was an Independence with molded in 30 inch wide twin beds. .... and a smaller table and floor under the table.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:09 AM   #11

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Here is the buyers checklist
The Fiberglass RV Community

You definitely want to check for soft spots/ rotten areas in floor as that is a major project. Also fridges are expensive so get them to have put it on several hours before, propane is best if that is how you will use it as it can be finicky in older trailers. Also go through all the taps etc and check for leaks and that everything works as it should.

The Fiberglass RV Community

Good luck, let us know how you make out,
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:22 AM   #12

Name: Larry
Trailer: Escape
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJnK View Post
Thanks Mary and/or Bob for the reply. I was hoping to find a liberty deluxe, but the sellers says it is a SD, but by the pics it looks like FD. I'll find out tomorrow. Tell me.......... what bed configuration do you use/like most on your Liberty?
We like the twin arrangement, no climbing over one another in the middle of the night. We also modified ours for 28" bed width instead of the factory 24", the pictures of my mods will be posted in a week or so on the Casita Forum.
larryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:42 PM   #13

Minnesota
Exactly what I was thinking. My wife and I both get up from a few to several times a night. The twin arrangement seems optimal. You know..... sometimes I wake up grumpy.......... but if at all possible, I'll let her sleep. Not to mention the possibility of 6 or maybe more people at the table for a good game of "Can you help me".
Old 03-29-2015, 06:49 PM   #14

Minnesota
Thanks for the link Kootenaigirl, I printed it out to take with me. And GOOD advise about the floor and frig. The add says "clean" and in good condition, and he told me over the phone that everything works. I'm getting excited.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:44 PM   #15

Minnesota
OK...... so today I bought the Casita

The add said "clean"....... it was a clean title............ not so the trailer. Several items donated along with the trailer..... several cans of stew and soup, apparently several years old. Air mattress, misc boards or doors, some broken stuff on the trailer, and no real verification of gas appliances working. BUT..... I feel good about the whole deal, basic camper very sound. Just needs a good scrubbing and a few minor repairs.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:44 PM   #16

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
As long as you feel you a good deal and are happy that is what's important.
Please post pics when you have time.
Happy camping!
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita