A big boys bed... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2007, 06:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
My husband is a sweet teddy bear of a guy, in the extra large size. He's close to 6' and 240lbs or so. I want to buy a 13' scamp, as it's one of the the lightest of the little campers. The dinette/bed is plenty long enough, but only 44 inches wide.

I've proposed that I sleep in the bunk. I'd be fine there, as I'm pretty small (in comparison) at 5'5" and 140lbs. He won't hear of it. He says it's not a vacation if he has to sleep alone. That's very sweet, but I'm the one being smothered. Is there a way to add about 5-6 inches to the dinette/bed?

If I can't customize the bed, then maybe you know of a brand of small fbrv with a wider bed, that weighs less then 1500, and has a tongue weight less then 150?

Thanks for any ideas.
Laura K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 06:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
If I can't customize the bed, then maybe you know of a brand of small fbrv with a wider bed, that weighs less then 1500, and has a tongue weight less then 150?

Thanks for any ideas.
When the dinette bed is made up, it's smack dab against the "kitchen" cabinets. So, without removing cabinetry (and possibly creating a structure problem), there really isn't a way to make the bed bigger. Perhaps you need to look at one of the Compact types, or get a trailer that's been gutted and build it your way...

By the way, I see you just recently joined FiberglassRV...Welcome!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 06:36 PM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I was going to say, the Compact/Hunter/Campster types have huge beds. (Mine is nearly six by six in the Campster.) But you pay for this in lack of floor space. Besides the bed/dinette area you have about 8 square feet of floor space. And you can't buy new. They are light, though!

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:35 PM   #4

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
When I acquired my old Boler trailer, there was a mysterious piece of plywood in it that I couldn't figure out what the heck it was for. I could tell by the way it was meticulously made that it HAD to be for SOMETHING. I posted a description here, and low and behold, the all knowing forum members identified it - a BED EXTENDER! I saved it when I sold the Boler and by a strange twist of fate I JUST this afternoon gave it away to my neighbours who just got a Boler ( Hi L&S - why haven't you signed up yet??! ) I will see if I can get it back long enough for picture taking.

It was made of plywood, curved at the wall end, and fit between the wall and the table when in the bed position. There was some foam added to the wall end to protect the ensolite.
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

This Spring's remodel on our Scamp included bed enlargement. Since the bed is always made up, I cut a chunk of 3/4 plywood to fit in the notches on the dinette. (I had to anyway since the dinette has middle-aged spread and is wider towards the front than at the backwall) I made the plywood long enough (or deep enough depending on perspective) to come all the way out to the cupboard on the sink side and the closet door on the other. Wierd looking piece of wood when I was finished and definately a case of measure twenty times and only cut once or twice... Since we didin't like sleeping on the cushions anyway, I bought a chunk of 3 inch foam and cut it to fit, rounded (or D shaped) against the back wall, and with a piece that protudes between the cupboard and closet with just enuff room to open the doors. This made the bed just amidgen shy of 50 inches wide. Remember this is the hip area..... And since I sleep next the back wall, now I have plenty of room and Carrie doesn't feel like she is falling off the edge either... ah blisss Then added a couple of memory foam egg crates and nicer than the bed in the house. Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 05:19 AM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
I have been told that the Scamp Deluxe models have larger beds. Not sure thought! Ron
Old 09-01-2007, 07:15 AM   #7

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
Topic comes up on occasion. Most recently HERE.

You might also want to take a peek at the thread on Bed Sizes.

I had a gutted PlayPac I rebuilt to take a residential queen size bed (that was nice!).

Same can't be done with a Scamp because of the curves - but the bed CAN be widened considerably. You DO need to keep structural issues in mind however. Kitchen can be narrowed - but you'll need to relocate the iron supports. Closet can be narrowed (but not removed). Like with the compact - this comes at the expense of floor space. If you need/want a lot of open space, it'll be something to consider.

Mike
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote