A Bigger Bed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2007, 11:10 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
My friend is selling her 13' Scamp. I love it, my husband thinks it's too small. One of the problems is the small bed size. The front dinette turns into a 48" bed (I think, or something close to that). We are two full size adults - we are not obese, but not skinny either.

Has anyone ever made a bigger bed? I'd love to see the pictures.
forrybl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:09 PM   #2

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
This is on my list of things I'd like to try someday - but I'm waiting for the right trailer to come along for that.

I'd do it with a 16' Scamp, but the basic idea works with any of the eggs where the interior fittings are molded independently then riveted in (ie not a Burro).

My basic plan would be to remove the cabinets next to the bed out of the trailer (easier said than done given the assorted electrical/gas/water lines and appliances). Then take each of them and slice a 12" segment out of the middle (makes sense to line one side up with existing appliance/door/drawer holes). The two remaining halves would then be spliced together using your basic fiberglass repair approach. This part will undoubtedly require the relocation or removal of some of the appliances (On the basic 16' Scamp, I'd swap the icebox for a 110 fridge and move it forward, I'd also eliminate the range and/or the sink). The cabinets then get reinstalled leaving a 12" gap in the back. The gap is then filled with plywood cabinets painted white (to match). These are the same height as the benches and extend them. You could either use the stock table with a 12" extension OR build a new longer table using the original hardware.

Fiddly bits: This also requires moving the iron upper cabinet support on the roadside, which itself probably requires the movement of the under-cabinet lighting also. Depending on the trailer, it might also require a little filling of old vent/access/etc holes and cutting of new ones. This obviously kills a lot of the storage area in the trailer. It's even worse in a 13-footer. I'd make up for the lost storage by adding more overhead storage over the bed area along the curb and road sides.

Mike
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:42 AM   #3

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Here's my solution to the bed problem. We're both really tall people so in our 13 footer I decided to eliminate the dinette table and add a sliding platform extenstion that slips forward for sleeping . Sliding forward, the extension drops into a "gutter" built into the bottom plywood serving as support on one end, and at the far end the plywood is held up underneath by crossing plywood panels that can lie flat on the floor when not used.

The logic was, our feet don't need the width our upper body needs, so, (usually with Ben ending up between us) we can sleep more comfortably lengthwise instead of crosswise. There's just enough room left over for the porta-potty. We're still not totally happy with this arrangement, mainly because with too much moving around those hefty cushions tend to slide forward, and they don't match up great. But, it works.

Of course, this arrangement puts us too close to the heater to dare use it. Ben's a great heater.
Attached Thumbnails
bed05copy.jpg   bed05acopy.jpg  

MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 73 Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Here's my solution to the bed problem. We're both really tall people so in our 13 footer I decided to eliminate the dinette table and add a sliding platform extenstion that slips forward for sleeping . Sliding forward, the extension drops into a "gutter" built into the bottom plywood serving as support on one end, and at the far end the plywood is held up underneath by crossing plywood panels that can lie flat on the floor when not used.
Hi, Myron. We are envisioning doing something like you have done, to sleep 90 degrees from the usual. Do you leave the foot piece of plywood on top of the other during the day. We definitely want to keep our table functional, so wondering about a new table with the second piece of plywood on a piano hinge perhaps, and folded over to be the table surface. Tho that would likely stress the fibreglass wall support with too much weight. I assume you made an additional cushion for legs that you pile somewhere else during the day? Thanks.
Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:43 PM   #5

Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
Myron,
Can you offer any more details, photos or plans about how you devised the supports under the slideout? I can't quite get the hang of it from what you said. It's a very clever idea, and if/when we manage to get our egg I'll try it out. My husband is 6'3'' so I don't think he'll fit too well sideways, either. Thanks.
Pamela S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
I am curious if one could take a queen size air bed and while it is uninflated shape it to the Scamp bed with the end with the inflator extending between the closet and the kitchen resting on appropriate sized rubbermaid tubs. Then inflate it. Would it conform to the shape as it inflated and provide exactly the kind of portable larger bed without the major mod?
We no longer have a queen inflatable bed handy or I would have already tried this to see if it would work. Any one try this or have an inflatable they could try?
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:13 PM   #7

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
No one has a Queen inflatable to try my idea? Seems like it would work in theory..

I guess I really took the air out of this thread.....
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:23 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Quote:
No one has a Queen inflatable to try my idea? Seems like it would work in theory..

I guess I really took the air out of this thread.....
not picturing it but I've not spent a lot of time in mine yet either.

Without somthing against all four sides it will just slide toward the open side as it inflates.

I assume by Tub you mean a container with enough height to come close to matching the height of the table in its low bed position.
Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 12:51 PM   #9

Name: Dean
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
Hi, Myron. We are envisioning doing something like you have done, to sleep 90 degrees from the usual. Do you leave the foot piece of plywood on top of the other during the day. We definitely want to keep our table functional, so wondering about a new table with the second piece of plywood on a piano hinge perhaps, and folded over to be the table surface. Tho that would likely stress the fibreglass wall support with too much weight. I assume you made an additional cushion for legs that you pile somewhere else during the day? Thanks.
Hello! Do you have any pictures of how you have done this? This is exactly what we would like to do. Dean
DeanNienhuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:31 PM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanNienhuis View Post
Hello! Do you have any pictures of how you have done this? This is exactly what we would like to do. Dean
Dean, this thread is from 2008. I wouldn’t hold your breath for a response.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote