A/C 2007 Eggcamper - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-14-2013, 10:11 AM   #15
Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
We found that, if our 2009 EggCamper is receiving direct sunlight, the AC can not keep up if the outside temperature is above 90 F. Once the sun goes down the AC does just fine. As others have done, we have added a small fan to help distribute the cool air; slightly opening one of the ceiling vents and adding window film also sound like good avenues to explore. We've never had a significant problem with the AC because, being fair-weather campers, we simply don't go camping if outside temperatures are expected to be above 90 degrees; on those days we'll stay put and enjoy the comforts of home.

Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #16
Name: Bob & Jen
Trailer: Egg Camper
A/C Replacement

I would like to thank all for their advice and suggestion about improving the A/C in my 2007 Eggcamper. I have completed the installation of a Frigidaire 8000 BTU unit. I selected this unit because it reguired a minimum of alteration to the Eggcamper.

The height of the unit is the same as the Frigidaire 5000 BTU. The width was 3 1/2" wide. I had to cut the opening in the seat bottom 1 3/4" on each side. The only modification required on the interior.

Because the unit was approx. 3" deeper it was necessary to do two modifications to the ehaust side. But I was able to use the original shroud by cutting and removing the flange and approx. 2 1/2" from the end that mates to the back of the A/C unit. Then added a new 3/4" aluminum flange. The original slanted drip tray needed miner modification allowing the unit to sit level.

New 3/4" aluminum flanges were added to the front of the unit to attach it to the seat bottom.

The only remaining revision is to make an Oak frame to finish-off the area around the unit and cover the aluminum flanges.

I also modified a small fan to help move the conditioned air up away from the floor.

The units work great and cooled the inside of my Egg quickly. However, the true test will come when we return to Arizona in September.

This was a fun and moderately easy project that I hope will allow is to use our Egg in the southwest.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0016.jpg   IMG_0014.jpg  

IMG_0015.jpg   IMG_0017.jpg  

KossKlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #17
Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
Beautiful installation job. As the Beatles said: "I get by with a little help from my friends..."

Otters is offline   Reply With Quote