A/C for Hunter compact - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2015, 05:30 PM   #21

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
That's' a very creative installation but, from you description, you lost all the foot space for the dinette and/or the storage space under the bed when it is made. Is that correct?

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:56 PM   #22

Name: Rollie
Trailer: Currently shopping
Arizona
Hunter Compact JR. Ac

The way I did it you do not lose any leg space in the rig. The AC front face is flush with the side of the seat bench. Yes you lose some storage space under the seat but the that is only about 18 inches wide.. Being floor mounted helps with the balance of the rig as opposed to having it hanging out of window and possibility getting caught on something as you go or cracking the trailer wall..
The whole job cost me less than $150 including a new AC unit... so that was a plus...
Arizona3313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 01:35 AM   #23

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Bob thanks for the input

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Installing a roof a/c in any of the pop-up FGRV's really isn't an option. The roof won't support that kind of weight.

These aren't built like a huge Class "A" motorhome.
It was not i who did that but my brother in law bought a house AC unit and stuck it through the outside hole or doorway that goes in under the seat so when they pulled into camp ground they plugged and kept cool but when driving the truck they had also has ac so in the end it worked for them when they got home they removed the AC and re-installed the door.
our right about Class A roof we can actually walk around up there, also nice view up there to.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 04:13 AM   #24

Name: Patricia
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr and 2020 Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
Hunter Compact with front wall ac

My camper had a very dirty ac in the current location when I made the purchase. I replaced the old with a new unit that is an exact color match of the exterior paint. I live in south Louisiana and would not be able to tolerate the heat without it. When I rebuilt the camper I put in twin beds and that allows for good air flow and floor space.
Attached Thumbnails
Stinky in garden 058.jpg  
Down the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 04:20 AM   #25

Louisiana
Registry
Hunter Compact ac

Inside view before rebuild completed.
Attached Thumbnails
AC 035.jpg  
Old 10-31-2015, 04:25 AM   #26

Louisiana
Registry
Hunter Compact ac

Completed interior
Attached Thumbnails
iPhone 337.jpg  
Old 10-31-2015, 06:37 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona3313 View Post
The way I did it you do not lose any leg space in the rig. The AC front face is flush with the side of the seat bench. Yes you lose some storage space under the seat but the that is only about 18 inches wide.. Being floor mounted helps with the balance of the rig as opposed to having it hanging out of window and possibility getting caught on something as you go or cracking the trailer wall..
The whole job cost me less than $150 including a new AC unit... so that was a plus...
OK, now I understand, the AC unit is built in under the right dinette seat. We use the under bed storage area for clothing bins so that might not work for us and, in addition, a large part of the under seat space is taken up with the 4 gallon water heater.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:41 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down the Road View Post
Completed interior
I can see how that would work with the twin beds, but; 1) even thinking about twin beds is a no-no in our house and, 2) the Hunter Compact-II (Unlike the Hunter Jr.), has more cabinets, limiting the bed to being queen size in the East-West direction only.

I guess we are just lucky to be able to avoid a need for A/C.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:56 AM   #29

Name: Tim
Trailer: In the ma
Texas
Down the road, if I was going to do it, that's how I planned to do it. We also use our compact with twin beds. I have a small table/night stand that I put brackets on that raise up and out for a small table. It's the kind of brackets that you use on coffee tables that raise up.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Packdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 04:48 PM   #30

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
I think outside the box.

I am testing my new A/C install this weekend, and it works perfectly!
All the parts came from Home Depot. The A/C is several years old, given to me by a friend for free.I just duct taped the roof jack to the outside of the window screen. Screwed the Roof jack to the Flex duct adapter. Removed the louvers from the A/C unit, trimmed the Duct Box to fit inside the opening, and used the foil Duct Tape to attach it.

This A/C might be a better choice.
It would eliminate the need for the Duct Box and Flex Duct.
Attached Thumbnails
000_2054.jpg  
Old 11-23-2015, 04:47 PM   #31

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Trails West
Texas
The RV guy working on my Trailswest Campster refused to put in any type of AC in the wall because there is nothing there to support the weight of it. I also live in Texas where AC is a MUST. Am happy with my 5,000BTU portable AC. We only cut a hole the size of a dryer vent to vent exhaust to the outside (per specs) and a very small hole in floor for drip line for condensation. (I fasten that up under body of trailer for travel & let in down in campsite.) Literally used a dryer vent type of cover on exterior. It has a flap that closes when not in use. Have had to make homemade pieces to angle airflow into the body of the trailer (or it seemed like all the cool air stayed in the kitchenette) but it works in all but the hottest weather in blazing sun. When it's that hot in Texas, I don't go camping!! I'm not having luck attaching photos, but if you look up my Campster in the Registry you'll see what I mean.
Cathy in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:25 PM   #32

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Trails West
Texas
Hey Packdaddy - just realized I'd had a message from y'all way back in March 2014 when I bought my Campster. Congrats on getting your Compact! Where did you find her?
Cathy in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:30 PM   #33

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy in TX View Post
The RV guy working on my Trailswest Campster refused to put in any type of AC in the wall because there is nothing there to support the weight of it. I also live in Texas where AC is a MUST. Am happy with my 5,000BTU portable AC. We only cut a hole the size of a dryer vent to vent exhaust to the outside (per specs) and a very small hole in floor for drip line for condensation.
If you exhaust the hot air from the A/C outside then hot air from the outside to replace it negating to some extent the cooler air produced. If you can find out how to get the air to the condenser it will work better.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:16 PM   #34

Name: Tim
Trailer: In the ma
Texas
CATHY, found it in Little Rock, Arkansas. Pretty bare bones, but sound. Having fun adding stuff

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Packdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:06 PM   #35

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Here's one which I installed in the side wall which has worked well for years now...
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0035.JPG   DSCF0056.JPG  

DSCF0049.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:54 AM   #36

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Here's one which I installed in the side wall which has worked well for years now...

You do such nice work Floyd. That's not Eggy Sue though. What trailer is this?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote