A/C for Hunter compact - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2015, 09:58 AM   #1

Name: Tim
Trailer: In the ma
Texas
A/C for Hunter compact

Does anyone have close up pictures of front window A/C install? Being in Texas you really need A/C. Hate to modify front window but seems to be best alternative to cutting fiberglass below front window. Thanks for any input

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Packdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:36 PM   #2

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
Personally, I would not do it. If you have seen how thin the walls are you might not either
If you do it you will have to build something to support it
You already have nice support at the hitch tree. Could you put it there, make a chute under the table/bed and bring in the cold there?
We just have lots of small 12V fans but we don't full time and so far our warmest camping was over 100 during the day but cooled off at night.

Somebody else may have a better idea

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 03:22 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Putting it under the table costs valuable storage space to not block airflow and also block a clear path for return air. Not good for Room type a/c's. You will make the underbed area very cold, but won't draw air from the other end of or high up in the camper.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:53 PM   #4

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
Bob, you are our Compact guru. Where would you put one?
Like I said, this has not been an issue for us.

Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:59 PM   #5

Name: Felix47
Trailer: casita
California
If you are in east texas you have to worry about condensation and dribbling onto the floor. You might think about a portable one with a hot air hose leading out the electrical outlet spot if yours is like a Casita. Of course you will need to dump the water. I agree the fiberglass is way too weak to handle A/C.
Felix47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denece View Post
Bob, you are our Compact guru. Where would you put one?
Like I said, this has not been an issue for us.

I doubt if anyone will like my answer(s)

1. No where. The Hunter is just to small to have a a/c anywhere but sticking out the front window and that's a poor location as it's inches above the bed & dining area. And... as one Hunter owner pointed out when removing one from his recently purchased Hunter's front window, "It looks to Redneck"

2. With the pop-up top, one might as well try to a/c the campsite as well. They leak air like a sieve.

3. If I lived or, camped somewhere frequently, where air conditioning was necessary to support life I would not buy a Hunter or any other pop-up FGRV. They just are not the "Apartment on wheels" that some individuals and/or geographical areas need.

We use 12 volt fans for cooling and, someday, might add the same model Fantastic fan that we had in our Scamp & Lil'Bigfoot, both also w/o air conditioning. BUT, we don't live in or often travel to the super hot/humid areas. When it's 100 in Riverside, we go to the mountains or beach, both within an hours drive.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:38 AM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: Hunter
Ohio
Registry
A/C Hunter Compact II

Hi, somewhere in the archives there are pictures of a guy that installed a mini-split in his Hunter. There was also an ad for this system on the website. They were offering a discount for the system at that time. As I recall it was quite a low price for that type of thing. I also remember it looked pretty nice when he was done with it. We almost purchased it after we got our Hunter but after taking it out several times we never had a need for A/C. I suggest searching the archives.
Mfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:44 AM   #8

I don't recall a Hunter having a mini-split a/c being installed, but I do recall a 16' Scamp installation that was recently posted.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:15 AM   #9

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I put a mini-split on my 16'Scamp.
I can't say how well it works traveling, but it works like a champ in the driveway.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:18 AM   #10

Name: Tim
Trailer: In the ma
Texas
After kicking it around, I have decided to hold off on A/C. Usually out and around during the day. With all the windows and pop top, I will use a fan. No use in going overboard without a little trial and error. Thanks for the input.

Packdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 01:06 PM   #11

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2040.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	90165
When I bought my Compact Jr 11 years ago it had an AC mounted in the front window. It has functioned perfectly and allowed us to camp with no problem in the heat of Texas summer. It is mounted with 4 braces. 2 steel angle irons are under the unit and 2 aluminum braces go from the top corners of the unit to the window frame. All 4 braces are bolted through the fiberglass and the 1 x 2 interior wood window frame. Nothing has moved in trips from Arlington, TX to New Orleans, to South Dakota, to Oregon, or multiple sites within Texas.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:09 PM   #12

Registry

Name:	IMG_2039.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	271.7 KB
ID:	90166

Here is a photo from above and the side.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:15 PM   #13

Registry
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...onphotos20.jpg

Here is a link to a photo of the AC on the inside of the trailer.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:15 PM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: Hunter
Ohio
Registry
I found the video

Here is the link to the video I had seen a couple years ago and yes it is not a Hunter but back then I guess I did not notice. I think it looks really nice.
Mfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 01:34 PM   #15

Registry
If heat transfer through the vinyl is a problem, there is a simple solution. Buy a roll of Reflectix and cut 4 long strips to cover the vinyl on the inside of the trailer. Stuff it between the upper roof and the lower roof. We've used this method to keep AC inside or heat inside and it work wonders.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:53 PM   #16

Registry

Name:	IMG_2041.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	395.3 KB
ID:	90168

Here is photo of a Reflectix panel in place.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:12 PM   #17

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Fans verses cutting a hole in the FG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denece View Post
Personally, I would not do it. If you have seen how thin the walls are you might not either
If you do it you will have to build something to support it
You already have nice support at the hitch tree. Could you put it there, make a chute under the table/bed and bring in the cold there?
We just have lots of small 12V fans but we don't full time and so far our warmest camping was over 100 during the day but cooled off at night.

Somebody else may have a better idea

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
I have to agree in not cutting the FG and just install 3 way forward/reverse fans open window at one end then start fan to move the air around sure does cool it down fast inside, plus maybe installing spray foam insulation would be a better way to go if at all possible as this would help in keeping the heat out and warmth in at different seasons?
Or if there is already a 14" square vent hole in the roof then pick up a good used rooftop AC unit smaller the better, we have 13,500BTU in our Rexhall MH and it does us just fine, a bit noisy but once asleep never hear it anyway.
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 02:15 PM   #18

Installing a roof a/c in any of the pop-up FGRV's really isn't an option. The roof won't support that kind of weight.

These aren't built like a huge Class "A" motorhome.

Old 10-29-2015, 03:09 PM   #19

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
re-cutting roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Installing a roof a/c in any of the pop-up FGRV's really isn't an option. The roof won't support that kind of weight.

These aren't built like a huge Class "A" motorhome.
Thanks for the info as I was wondering why not many had cut the roof but were put elsewhere in those little trailers. Having never owned a Small FG model other than the big foot I would not of known and now I do. But I do see some with ac units on the roof but only a couple which look like they were installed when they were built.
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 03:25 PM   #20

Name: Rollie
Trailer: Currently shopping
Arizona
Hunter Compact JR. Ac

I have one of these little gems and have put an AC unit in it under the seat.
I put a 8000 BTU window unit under the seat and vented it down through the floor.. The front sticks out from under the seating area and the vents go down rather than out the side or window.. Essentially what I did was buy two standard Wall AC/heat louvers like you see in most homes.( home Depot) Cut the plywood floor to fit them one in front of the other. The one nearest to the middle of the trailer is the air intake and the one closest to the outside is the exhaust. I Made a 2 inch high stand out of 2x4s that the AC sits on and particianed the area on the front section off from the back side. This little stand formed the air channels for intake air and exhaust. I them took aluminum sheet metal (flashing) and formed ducts down both sides at the intake of the AC and another along the back for exhaust... The result is a pretty neat installation that puts the weight on the floor and eliminates the need to cut any fiberglass or windows..
You can put any size AC in as long as it will fit under the seat... Works like a champ.. When you want, the louvers can be closed off for storage or wet running if you like..
Arizona3313 is offline   Reply With Quote