A/C leak? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2007, 10:05 PM   #1

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
We were on the road for over seven weeks and hit a lot of wild weather. Several times after really heavy rains and wind when we drove, water came in through the ac onto the bed. About maybe a cup worth. When it stood still we didn't notice anything. Talking to a local repair place they say the gasket needs to be replaced and they will do it for $90.00. Are they pulling our leg? Our unit is less than a year old. Is there something that might have come loose and just needs tightening? Has anyone else noticed this? We have had trailers for 25 years but this is the first time we have had an ac unit. Maybe this is normal. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:37 PM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
I was checking my filters on my AC a while ago and found the screws had come loose. So I tighten them and have had no problems. I have talked to other Casita owners that have had the same problem so you might just open the bottom cover and check.

On my houseboat the gasket had gone bad this year and it leaked. Same kind of AC. It was easy to tilt the AC up on its side and place a new gasket under it and screw back in the screws. Gaskets don’t cost much.

It took us about 30 minutes to fix it and we hadn’t done it before. Sounds like your guy has a one hour minimum or something.

Good Luck.

Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 06:05 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I remember pre-hack there was a discussion about A/C and tightening the mounting bolts. This was especially important to check on trailers after traveling several thousand miles with a NEW trailer or new A/C install. Well, we of course lost that information in the hack...but I found Gene Layton's discussion on the CasitaForum. Hope it helps

Air Conditioner Mounting Bolts, Proper tightness
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 06:21 AM   #4

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Linda and Dale,

Don't forget you have a one year warranty from Casita. Give them a call to see if they will authorize the fix to be done locally (and pay the bill). If not, ask if they will pay for half.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 01:47 PM   #5

Thanks for the suggestions and the link. Its such a great day outside, it is the perfect time to go out and check everything out and with your directions we should be able to make some progress.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:25 PM   #6

We discovered that the front two were very loose and one of the back ones was loose. Hopefully that will solve the problem. I really don't want it to rain to test it but this is Oregon so I am sure it will rain again and we will know. Thanks again for the help.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:32 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Glad it worked out. Better to have a leak, than to lose the A/C along the road. The rain must have been Nature's way of telling trailer folks to check the mounting bolts.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:50 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
This is a common problem with RVs in general -- I don't have a/c now and can't recall exactly how the one on the roof of my old 16' Jayco was fastened (I only messed with it once, taking it off and discarding it in favor of a more useful vent hatch -- I parked the TT under a tree and used a branch to lift it with a rope), but I would look into using NyLock nuts to fasten it with through-bolts and check them at least once a season.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote