A Cautionary Tale...... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #21

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Good eye, Jim. Is there a published industry standard or reg for trailer ventilation? Even if not, avoidance of intake fans in RV galleys across the industry would seem to indicate that this conjunction of circumstances has happened in the past (somebody's egg got fried).

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:11 AM   #22

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I was told it was for preventing negative pressure buildup inside which can effect cooking as well as sewer odors being pulled into the trailer. This was when I questioned why I could not order a reversing ff in one of my previous trailers.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #23

Delaware
The location of the 14" passive roof vent in these Burro 17s is on the same side as the gas range and just inboard of the stove hood. Add the intake fan and nothing as esoteric as positive or negative cabin pressure is required to depress the burner cones but merely a strong downdraft from the fan. A strong wind from the open door directly across the aisle from the cooktop is apparently also capable of deflecting the flame sufficient to overheat the porcelainized steel of the cooktop. I tend to think that exhausting air from the trailer cabin with closed doors and windows would cause the negative cabin pressure which might draw smelly air from shower traps or badly fitting dump valves in some cheap RV toilets.

jack
Old 08-16-2013, 10:39 AM   #24

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Actually the feeling was pulling in sewer gas from the roof vents most rv's have on the roof near the vents, it is a passive system and the gas seems to float along the roofs as it is heavier and this makes a fan operating on intake more apt to pull in the smelly odor.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #25

Delaware
Good point. Didn't think about the effluvia from the vent stacks. I've never noticed an odor with the FFan on intake or, if I did, didn't associate with the proximity to the vents. Of course, we are very clean people and our gray and black tanks are pure as the new-mown hay. Ah yeh!

jack