A couple questions about Scamp 5th Wheel - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-04-2014, 06:15 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
Registry
A couple questions about Scamp 5th Wheel

We're picking up a used 2011 Scamp Deluxe Fifth Wheel in a week and have a couple questions for any current Scamp Fifth Wheel users:
1) are there any unused fuse locations in the converter that we can tie into for other 12V options (such as a 12V DC outlet or radio)

2) if you have a DC outlet installed in your Fifth Wheel, where did Scamp (or you) install it?

3) if anyone's added a solar controller/solar panel to their Fifth Wheel, do you have any pictures of your installation?

We're looking forward to gaining a little more room (switching from a 17' Casita SD) and an opportunity for mods.

Thanks for any information you can provide

Old 06-04-2014, 09:38 PM   #2

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Layout? Makes a huge difference when it comes to the Scamp 5er. Pay attention to ANY threads by peterh. He's the mod KING when it comes to mods for a Scamp 5er (side bath). WHAT layout is THAT?

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:18 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 19
Arizona
I have a Scamp 5er.

Your question #2-Yes I have a 12v outlet that is right above the sink abd is set up very near the TV antenna plug. This was stock from the factory.

Your question #3- I have installed a solar system, 100w ( 2 ea 50w panels),mounted on the top, and it works perfectly. If you would like to PM me and I will send you all the information I have on what I used and pictures of the mounting. I am just about home after 7 weeks on the road and pulling the trailer about 7,500 miles. They have seen rain snow, and a bit of hail and held up well.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:32 AM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Mine is a 2004 deluxe, layout A.
1. I do not see any unused 12V fuses.
2. One DC outlet is next to the small window next to the pantry on the port side, on the underside of the top storage bin. The second one is in the loft, port side front corner, again on the underside of the storage bin.
3. No solar here.
Note: If you connect anything to the DC outlets that requires correct polarity, check it first. Incandescent lights do not care, but LED lights do. The center contact is +12.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:15 AM   #5

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
We have four 12V outlets in our 13Scamp...
One inside the closet which came with the antenna booster, handy for charging a phone or monitoring the battery.
One at the top of the side closet.
One at the end of the counter next to the dinette.
We also put one just inside the entrance door, but outside the screen.
This last one is particularly handy for use outside the trailer with the screen closed to run a variety of 12V stuff including a small compressor for topping off the tires.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:46 AM   #6

Michigan
Registry
Thanks for the information posted so quickly in answer to my questions.

Donna - thanks for the reminder. Assuming the layouts on the current Scamp trailer website are the same as 2011 layouts, we have Layout A (fridge opposite side from stove).

Captsteve2002 - pm'd you for more information. Thanks.

Paul - thanks for the fuse info and the note about LED polarity: I wasn't aware of their sensitivity to polarity.

Floyd - sound like you're amply provided with DC outlets. Could you tell me how you tied them into your existing wiring?
Old 06-05-2014, 12:00 PM   #7

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
2011 Scamp 19 Standard - mods

We have a 2011 Scamp 19 Standard and have made these modifications:
  • Rv/Travel Trailer Lock W/deadbolt, by Fastec Industrial. This might be our favorite upgrade. It is so smooth and the old one was so difficult unless we lubed it daily.
  • ParkPower by Marinco 30ARVKIT RV Detachable Power Conversion Kit. This got rid of the rat's nest under the street side bench and allowed us to use it for better storage. We now carry the coiled cord with the water hose.
  • Installed two 40W semi-flexible mono Solar Panels, one fore and one aft the loft vent. Seemed like the best location to avoid having them shaded. Used 3M tape to hold them and they're still snuggly in place after 2 years and 15,000 miles.
  • Installed a shorter table as the stock Scamp model was awkward to get around. Works great for two people who never use the rear bed option. Some folks have made folding tables, which we tried as well, but like the smaller one better.
  • Installed an access panel in the top of the freshwater tank so that we can clean it. Has clear lid, which allows better visual of water level.
  • Replaced rear levelers with scissor jacks.
  • Replaced light bulbs with LEDs to reduce battery drain and make taillights brighter. Replaced bathroom light with an LED nightlight/regular light combo.
  • Installed padlocks on battery and propane tanks.
  • Installed a 12V outlet where a poorly placed light fixture had been.
If you're interested in more information on any of this, please ask.

Enjoy your new toy,

David
Old 06-05-2014, 10:25 PM   #8

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalm View Post
Thanks for the information posted so quickly in answer to my questions.
Floyd - sound like you're amply provided with DC outlets. Could you tell me how you tied them into your existing wiring?
One was supplied from Scamp with the TV antenna booster.
Two were wired into the same battery source which I installed to supply power to my 400W tru-sine inverter in the tower closet.
The fourth is in the cabinet directly adjacent to the bench in which the converter is located.

One point to keep in mind... 12V outlets were originally designed to supply power for cigarette lighters.
Most factory supplied 12V outlets are now called "Power Points" and are wired for much "lighter" loads like laptops and phone chargers.
The outlet itself will still fit and handle the load of a cigarette lighter(read , dead short), but most of their supply circuits, designed for Power Points, will not.

You need only to wire for the expected load, and supply the right fuse to protect the chosen wire size.

BTW...We actually own a 12V toaster (one slice)... but at least we don't smoke!(and so neither do our outlets!)
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2014, 11:14 AM   #9

Michigan
Registry
Floyd & Stretcher - thanks for the tips.
We just got back a couple days ago from picking up our 2011 Fifth in Pennsylvania and are trying to prioritize modifications we want to make.

Tags
scamp