A few power related questions (Scamp 13) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2017, 06:53 AM   #1

Name: Z
Trailer: Scamp
Quebec
A few power related questions (Scamp 13)

Subject is a 2010 Scamp 13.

Is there any reason the power inverter was not plugged into the fuse panel when I got this trailer? Why would it be unplugged? Just curious if there is any reason I can not leave it plugged in 24/7.

Second, When hooked up to house power and the power inverter is plugged in, I notice that a 12v charge is sent to my battery Is there any overcharge protection in this circuit if I left the house power hooked up with the battery installed for a few months?

Thanks all.
Luxus Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:29 AM   #2

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxus Panzer View Post
Subject is a 2010 Scamp 13.

Is there any reason the power inverter was not plugged into the fuse panel when I got this trailer? Why would it be unplugged? Just curious if there is any reason I can not leave it plugged in 24/7.

Second, When hooked up to house power and the power inverter is plugged in, I notice that a 12v charge is sent to my battery Is there any overcharge protection in this circuit if I left the house power hooked up with the battery installed for a few months?

Thanks all.
First of all I imagine you mean to say Power Converter not Inverter which does the exact opposite thing?

No Scamp that I am aware of will make 120vac power from a 12vdc Battery which is what an Inverter does.

The Converter makes 12vdc from the 120vac Shore Power Input and also usually charges the House Battery in your Scamp.

Most factory Converter/Chargers do not do a great job of charging the battery and so this might be why yours is unplugged and the previous owner may have tried his hand at charging as needed instead of leaving the charger unattended to potentially just cook out the battery?

Many feel a converter with the "Charge Wizard" module is a decent charger for house batteries that is built in to some converters but I have no experience with them and can not say.
The Wizard provides a more modern multi-stage charge while also cycling its charge to avoid overcharging and battery destruction like most modern outboard battery chargers also do.

Most just leave the converter connected all the time and replace the battery when needed or when it is discovered to be dead at the worst possible time.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:37 AM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
A design flaw.. the plug for the converter has been known to fall out from all the vibration while driving. Just find a way to secure it (such as I did in below photo).

As for overcharging.. we need the make and model of your converter to answer that. Scamp almost always puts the cheapest (reasonable) converter in and it might well overcharge. If your converter is a Progressive Dynamics model that can take the optional "Charge Wizard" module, that will improve the charging profile a lot. But some converters have that already built in, other makes dont use it, some have different charging algorithms.. so need to know which converter you have.

Its a little hard to see in this photo but two wire ties are used to hold the plug in.
Attached Thumbnails
ConverterPlugWiretied.jpg  
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:23 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
overcharging

most people don't understand charger concepts to a battery no matter what you are using say 2amps you will get to the point that battery will no longer have it electroleits in it. As Ed says cooked away.

hook it back up and see what happens cant hurt much.

good luck

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:10 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
A few power related questions (Scamp 13)

Agree. The plug probably just popped out.

My 2008 Scamp converter does not have smart charging circuitry, so I would not leave it plugged in and charging for long periods in storage. Since I never plug in when camping anyway, and since I do not have access to an outlet where the trailer is stored, I elected to stick with the "dumb" Scamp converter and remove the battery for storage, connected to a modern smart charger.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:29 AM   #6

Quebec
I will grab some pics later...its raining right now
Old 10-16-2017, 11:45 AM   #7

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
Converter/Battery

We have a 2006 Scamp 16' and I have kept it plugged in (and charging) all the time we're home since we bought it new. The converter keeps the battery at 13.1 volts, high enough to recharge it slowly but not so high as to boil off electrolyte. I have replaced the battery twice, once when it froze because it discharged when the fuse had become dislodged and once because I thought I should after 6 years. This works for me.

Lynn
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:44 PM   #8

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry

this is a good read.....and rather short considering all the bases it covers....

https://www.emarineinc.com/Batteries-Maintenance-101

(pics of my batteries and a supporting opinion)
Attached Thumbnails
battbox3.jpg   battcharger3.jpg  

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:35 AM   #9

Quebec
here are some pics of my converter.

It is a Intel power 9100 Model PD9130

There is documentation (see pic) that states it will not overcharge, yet I find mention of add on devices (TCMS interface) to stop overcharging...soo confusing.

IMG_20171016_181534 by Z R, on Flickr

IMG_20171016_181316 by Z R, on Flickr

IMG_20171016_181525 by Z R, on Flickr

2017-10-16_10-31-59 by Z R, on Flickr
Old 10-17-2017, 08:47 AM   #10

Missouri
battery charging

after awhile of this charging might want to check the water in your battery it will boil out after awhile regardless. maybe after a few years it doesn't matter!

bob
Old 10-17-2017, 10:38 AM   #11

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
after awhile of this charging might want to check the water in your battery it will boil out after awhile regardless. maybe after a few years it doesn't matter!

bob
Sound advice.

Under constant charge, will the water in the batt freeze?
Old 10-17-2017, 10:44 AM   #12

Missouri
battery freezing

a fully charged battery may freeze say in 50below temps but I have never lived in such an area I wouldn't be surprised that they don't take their battery out!

I know I would! I have had batteries freeze up due to no charge.

bob
Old 10-17-2017, 02:58 PM   #13

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
"Second, When hooked up to house power and the power CONVERTER is plugged in, I notice that a 12v charge is sent to my battery Is there any overcharge protection in this circuit if I left the house power hooked up with the battery installed for a few months?"

13.6 is not overcharging, (read link I posted earlier) and your documentation states that after the battery is "fully charged" it steps down to a maintenance charge (likely 13.1 or 3)

nothing wrong with leaving converter/charger plugged in indefinitely if it's operating according to specs....just check the water/acid level once a month and add using distilled water.

As a "for instance" my two six volt batteries, together, go through 1L of distilled water every month or two (that's adding half an inch to an inch of water, in height, in the individual battery cells)

and while I'm at it....when I do this check, before I add water, I test every cell with a hydrometer to see if I'm developing a weak cell (they should all read about the same)....a weak cell will make the whole battery weak (less power available for use)

If this trailer is "new to you" and you have suspicions about your electrical system, first start by ascertaining that your battery is up to snuff....your fully charged battery "at rest" should read 12.6+ on a voltmeter... then perform a hydrometer test on every cell (1.265 or more)...
Attached Thumbnails
elecv4.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:20 PM   #14

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
"Second, When hooked up to house power and the power CONVERTER is plugged in, I notice that a 12v charge is sent to my battery Is there any overcharge protection in this circuit if I left the house power hooked up with the battery installed for a few months?"

13.6 is not overcharging, (read link I posted earlier) and your documentation states that after the battery is "fully charged" it steps down to a maintenance charge (likely 13.1 or 3)

nothing wrong with leaving converter/charger plugged in indefinitely if it's operating according to specs....just check the water/acid level once a month and add using distilled water.

As a "for instance" my two six volt batteries, together, go through 1L of distilled water every month or two (that's adding half an inch to an inch of water, in height, in the individual battery cells)

and while I'm at it....when I do this check, before I add water, I test every cell with a hydrometer to see if I'm developing a weak cell (they should all read about the same)....a weak cell will make the whole battery weak (less power available for use)

If this trailer is "new to you" and you have suspicions about your electrical system, first start by ascertaining that your battery is up to snuff....your fully charged battery "at rest" should read 12.6+ on a voltmeter... then perform a hydrometer test on every cell (1.265 or more)...
Thanks. I have filled this batt with distilled water and have it on a intelligent charger @ 2A. Hopefully this will de-sulfate this "unknown" battery with a production date of 2010.

As a backup I have a 110AH 12v deep cycle battery that is 2 years old and has always been properly maintained by myself to fall back on (it is for my boat motor)
Old 10-18-2017, 02:26 PM   #15

Registry
The first thing I did when I bought my new trailer is call the manufacturer of the converter Scamp installed. Wasn't impressed with what they had to say.
I have now some years later turned off the braker for the converter and use one of three methods of charging the battery. If the trailer is at home I plug in a "Battery Minder" which trickle charges and will also desulfate the battery. If I'm traveling while on the road towing the tow does the job. When in a campground for more that 4 days my solar panel does the trick. No need for a converter.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:12 PM   #16

Name: Jeff T
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Midwest
Scamp 2017

Our 2017 Scamp came with a Progressive Dynamics converter. I too was wondering what long term effects this unit might provide the on-board battery. When I opened up the side bench to check the model the convert label reads its a 9200 series "with a built in charge wizard" .......... to monitor the battery by providing normal-boost-storage-desulfation modes.

As I read the owners manual I found there is an optional wired pendant with an LED to indicate which mode it was working in and a button to override. I didn't see the need to have the option.

We will be winterizing soon and I plan on leaving the trailer plugged in at the house and see how the charge wizard does. I'm guessing if I keep an eye on the water levels it should be just fine.
Jeff T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:31 PM   #17

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff T View Post
Our 2017 Scamp came with a Progressive Dynamics converter. ....the convert label reads its a 9200 series "with a built in charge wizard" .......... to monitor the battery by providing normal-boost-storage-desulfation modes...
Nice My 2015 Scamp has a PD 9100 converter, and the "charge wizard" that alters the charging profile is NOT built in but is a simple plug in option. Nice to see that new Scamps have the updated converter with the "charge wizard" circuity built it. And yes, the Pendant that only provides visual feedback is not needed unless you just love flashing lights. But note that the "Converter Status Remote Pendant PD92201" is not the same as the Charge Wizard add-on for the 9100 series converters.

From the PD website:
*The Wizard is built in the 9200 series and available separately for the 9100 series.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:29 AM   #18

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Wasn't impressed with what they had to say.

What did they say?
Old 10-19-2017, 06:37 AM   #19

Missouri
power

I am hooking up some new stuff in my camper the Scamper 13f it is a total mess under the zinc! Looks like a rats nest but everything works I am not at 75 undertaking a rewire.

The next owner get to do that if he wants the Scamper is 22 years old so things like this are to be expected. It is covered up who cares!!

bob

Tags
scamp