A leak! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2007, 02:52 PM   #1

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
Well, I thought all was well after the nor'easter this weekend, until I checked on the Scamp. It leaked! The front cushions are wet...it didn't seem to come in from the window, but just below. It did appear wet at, and below, the seam that runs around the Scamp. It's metal on the outside, and just a seam on the inside.
So, my question is, can I just caulk around the metal band? Using what?
Thanks!
Marjie
Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:57 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have seen a number of Boler trailers with some sort of caulking around the belly band.I also noticed that it was kinda flexable.Sorry but i did not ask any of them as to what they used.If it was me i would try some kind of window caulking.
Hopefully others will jump in with there ideas.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:50 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: SSSHHH!!! Don't tell everyone you have an indoor pool or they'll all want one... The leak we had in the front of our '77 Boler was from the curtain rod bracket pop rivets. Also the vent window behind the stove bottom right corner leaks and the water ends up in the front left stowage bin...The window in the door also leaks... Silicone sealer doesn't usually work well or last long. I am replacing the pop rivets with S/S bolts with nylon washers against the fiberglass. There is also a weather seal washer that has rubber bonded to the metal but I haven't seen them. Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:32 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There's a very good chance it's NOT the belly band. The two halves of the fiberglass shell are bounded together right there (on the inside of the trailer), the belly band is merely a decorative trim. It's probably the closest window...or a vent. Then, I'd check the rivets in the area too. Alf is changing the rivets over in his trailer to SS bolts...but it's not the rivet that may leak....it's the hole!

If it's the front window (or rear) and it's a solid plexiglass window...check the rubber gasket where it joins together. The one and only leak I've ever had was right there. I used some black windshield goo to fill the area, and so far (four years) no return leak.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:33 PM   #5

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Quote:
There is also a weather seal washer that has rubber bonded to the metal but I haven't seen them. Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Try here, ALF., or you might find something in Ontario.

McMaster-Carr

Bonded Sealing Washers
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:08 PM   #6

Registry
Hi: I was in our trailer one day during a downpour to check for leaks and I could have used some help from a Little Dutch Boy!!! I now have two rolls of Buytl tape and hundreds of S/S fasteners/washers to fill the holes. I remember telling a guy one time that if the car didn't have a sun roof it wouldn't leak Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 04-18-2007, 06:04 AM   #7
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I always start with the easiest fix first. Try cleaning out the weep holes on your windows. They can get clogged over time. Condensation and moisture will cause it to overflow into the inside if they are clogged. A good length of strong weed whacker cord run all the way around will usually do the trick.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:45 AM   #8

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
Quote:
I always start with the easiest fix first. Try cleaning out the weep holes on your windows. They can get clogged over time. Condensation and moisture will cause it to overflow into the inside if they are clogged. A good length of strong weed whacker cord run all the way around will usually do the trick.
First, thank you to everyone who replied to my question, I really appreciate all the help!
Now...OK, I understand it all, except, what exactly is a weep hole? And where do I find them?
Marjie
Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:03 AM   #9

Quote:
First, thank you to everyone who replied to my question, I really appreciate all the help!
Now...OK, I understand it all, except, what exactly is a weep hole? And where do I find them?
Marjie
They're in the outside track of the windows, little holes in the bottom of the track. Run the weed wacker cord though them. It's also a good time to take an old toothbrush to the entire track to get dirt/moss, etc. out of the track so the window will slide smoothly.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:08 PM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
The front cushions are wet...it didn't seem to come in from the window, [b]but just below.
It did appear wet at, and below, the seam that runs around the Scamp.
Quote:
I thought weep holes were on openable windows only. Definately on sliders, not sure of crank-outs.
Isn't the Front Window on a Scamp solid curved plexiglass? I didn't think that it would have weep holes.

I had a leaky front on my Fiber Stream, and endured wet cushions until I found [b]EVERY POSSIBLE penetration or gap and got them all sealed up. I [b]do have an openable slider across the front of my Fiber Stream, but I [b]do not have a belly band.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AC02.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	7355

Rock Guard Open________/Rock Guard Closed

Possible Penetrations and Gaps:
  1. Window Frame (mine is metal & sealed with Butyl Tape)
  2. Window Glass Gasket (See White Caulk filling gaps in Black Rubber)
  3. Weep Holes (Black Plastic Covers at lower outside corners snap over openings to direct draining water down, and Prevent Rain from comming in)
  4. Rock Guard Mounts (My guard mounts to the frame, but yours may mount separately to the shell) A Rock Guard will NOT prevent rain from getting on and through a leaky window
  5. Rivit or Screw Fasteners through the Shell (I have 6 over the window for the upper bunk/shelf, 2 at the upper side corners for the curtain rod brackets, and 4 below the window that used to be where the sewer hose storage was)
Attached Thumbnails
Logo_on_Front.jpg  
Old 04-18-2007, 01:25 PM   #11

I've seen front windows on a couple of Scamp's that had actually opening windows. Front bath models come to mind.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:31 PM   #12

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
So, my question is, can I just caulk around the metal band? [b]Using what?
I have also caulked around the Roof Vent, along the Awning Rail, and around each Baggage Hatch Frame. I use C-10 Self-Leveling Sealant
Old 04-18-2007, 01:44 PM   #13

Registry
Hi: The only weep holes I have are the ones on either side of my nose!!! They only cause me trouble when things don't go "MY WAY"!!! Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 04-18-2007, 02:16 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler Honey
I haven't found weep holes in my trailer windows, but I have a problem with the ones on my house getting clogged up. I am using the weed wacker line suggestion right away. It is amazing how much I learn on this site!
lwehrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:00 PM   #15

Trailer: 73 Boler 13 ft
Thumbs up

Hi, all. This site is amazing! We are coming up in the world, of the ground that is, and have just bought our first trailer ever. A garage sale find this past weekend, a 13 ft. Boler. Neighbours told us we had to buy it 'cause it matched our house! 7 inches of snow here this morning, and now I see that this great find is leaking from the roof vent, and the front window. Front window is so scratched, we were thinking we would replace it anyway.I presume a good installation job would take care of that leak. The roof vent has so much silicone around it, I would think to take it out and start again might be a good idea. We want to paint the exterior, and inside. I don't even know if the gelcoat I read about here, is the inside or outside.In painting the inside, is it easy to fix all the little nicks, and old holes. I read the side of the Bondo can, at Walmart, seems to refer to using it with the cloth, but surely that's not necessary for little holes? Enough for now!
Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:59 AM   #16

Registry
Hi: Peggy... You can use white Acrylic Latex caulking to dab in to the nicks and rips and also to fill the seams inside the trailer B/4 you paint!!! And use a top quality Acrylic Latex Interior house paint ...in "EGGSHELL" of course
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie