A little help w/curtain fabric please. Flannel? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-20-2012, 09:16 AM   #15

Name: Terry
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
Oregon
Just a thought...drying towels can be a pain. We now put ours over the front seats in our truck and they get dry fairly easily. We use the thinner beach towels for our showers and that helps too.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Although I suggested using the correct plastic coasted drape lining I tend to agree with others that flannel may be a more likely to wick up moisture than some of the heavier decorating cottons.

Re the earth magnets - sew them into the hem of the curtains. You may want to buy a couple and just check that they actually work with what ever window frame your trailer has first though.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:54 PM   #17

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
I don't think flannel will absorb any more moisture than a 100% cotton fabric. Having had several RVs over the last 10 years or so I can tell you that unless you have really good insulation and double pane windows, you are going to get condensation, especially if you camp in the fall, winter or spring in the Pacific Northwest. Here are some of the ways that we reduce (but don't entirely eliminate) the problem:

1. Use a good exhaust fan, especially when cooking, and keep a window cracked open a bit. Anything that will help to circulate the air is good.

2. If you're camping with electrical hook-ups, use a small de-humidifier.

3. During the off season if you can store your egg somewhere with access to shore power, you can keep a little electric heater on the lowest setting to help keep things dry.

4. If you don't have electricity where you store your trailer, at least use one of those little devices with the dehumidifying granules in it and prop all your cushions up on edge so that moisture doesn't get trapped on the undersides. Better yet, store them in your house.

5. When traveling in damp climates, we dry our towels in the tow vehicle when we can and avoid cooking things that need to be boiled or steamed because that just puts more moisture into the air.

All in all, I wouldn't worry too much about what fabric to use, just go with what you like!
Old 08-20-2012, 10:43 PM   #18

British Columbia
Registry
A Maxi Vent for one of my rear side windows was the best thing I added that helps a great deal with condensation issues.

As far as fabrics go - some that are made for outdoor usage such as Sunbrella tend not to absorb the moisture as much and resist mold, mildew . The are a little stiffer than cotton but I personally prefer a stiffer curtain that holds it shape. But then again lining a 100% cotton curtain with a drapery thermal lining will pretty well achieve the same.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #19

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Maxi-Vents for side windows

Please tell us further information about "Maxi-Vents" for side windows. I cannot locate any information on past forums nor on the Internet.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #20

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Please tell us further information about "Maxi-Vents" for side windows. I cannot locate any information on past forums nor on the Internet.
They are actually called a Window/Maxx - photos here. You can find them at Camping World and many RV stores. A number of people here have installed them and they work great! I can now leave a window open in the pouring rain which I could not do before.