A little OT: Jump starters - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Not really OT as I would also be able to use one to power small electronics if I were off the grid. But I'm looking at getting a jumpstarter (one of those portable battery types) preferably one that also has a 110 outlet. Any recommendations? I don't want to spend more than about $100 if possible unless I can't get anything decent for less.
We have always carried a jump starter with us, only for giving the car a jump. Our newest is from Walmart ($20). We carry one because we are sometimes way out and AAA or for that fact no one is going to give us a jump. It's come in handy for us and others. We also carry a small compressor.

Norm
Norm

Old 05-01-2011, 05:10 PM   #16

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
I have owned,used and dissected several of these Jump Starter units and they are all pretty much the same.
They use either a 7ah or 18ah sealed lead acid battery exactly like an Alarm backup battery.

They also have some kind of battery charging circuit inside and an inverter if they produce A.C. power too.

They sometimes have air compressors and Lights in there too.
I have 4 that have 3 LED lights on top and with the 18ah battery they will provide light for longer than I have ever needed it.

If you don't need to use it Jump Start your car you can make a more powerful model by just getting a bigger battery and suitable charger.

I have options up tp 100ah batteries working with a $20.00 charger from WalMart and we use them for everything when camping and also to operate Ham radios from when needed.

Its just all packaging that makes them so handy as they are sold.

I buy the Batteries from a national alarm supply distributor that has branches in 120 cities in the U.S. if anyone wants that info just PM me.
They are about 1/3 to 1/4 of the retail price this way.

Ed

Old 05-01-2011, 06:13 PM   #17

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Here's part of a review of a $100.00 unit being sold on Amazon. Full reviews at
Amazon.com: Black & Decker VEC026BD Electromate 400 Jump-Starter with Built-In Air Compressor: Automotive

603 of 619 people found the following review helpful:
4.0 out of 5 stars A lot of misconceptions regarding these products., April 14, 2008
By Michael O. (Rhode Island, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Black & Decker VEC026BD Electromate 400 Jump-Starter with Built-In Air Compressor (Automotive)
I just wanted to clear up some common misconceptions regarding these jump-start/inverter/inflator products. I personally own 3 different types from 400 watts to 1500 watts and have done tons of research on them. I guess you could call it an unusual hobby I have. I blame the manufacturers for over hyping these units or just choosing not to inform consumers of their limitations.

THESE UNITS ARE NOT AS POWERFUL AS YOU THINK! Most people seem to be very disappointed by the amount of "juice" these put out.

--FRESHLY CHARGED this item will probably run a small TV/DVD combo continuously for around 2.5 hours. That's it. Also, you can't run a coffee maker, hair drier, microwave, refrigerator or heavy duty power tool off this. It's just not designed for that kind of use. Buy this to run a small TV, fan or laptop for a few hours, or to charge your cell phone. That's all it's designed for.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #18

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
The unit that Clive mentioned is sold at Harbor Freight, and is often on sale for $99 or less. I just bought one about a week ago. I use it in the Scamp for running the interior lights and charging cell phones and other toys when dry camping. I put LED bulbs in the interior fixtures, so they could probably run for days before the batter noticed.

I keep the power pack under the dinette seat where the power cord is. This way, I can also plug the 120v system into it and have 400 watts available at the outlets. I made a cigarette lighter plug to power the interior lights, as well as the 12v outlet that I installed in the kitchen.

Yesterday, I used the inflator for the first time to top up the tires. It works well, but the gauge is vague in the lower pressure zone. Since my Scamp is only supposed to have 15-20 PSI in the tires, I still have to use my tire gauge on it.

The unit comes with both 12v and 120v charging cords. It charges faster on 12v.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:01 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
Since my Scamp is only supposed to have 15-20 PSI in the tires, I still have to use my tire gauge on it.

Not to send everybody scrambling for the "off-topic" button that we don't have, but I've never heard of Trailer tires that run on such low pressure- What kind are they?
I thought most ST's ran at about 50 lbs

Thanks, and please excuse the interruption!

Francesca
Old 05-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #20

Maryland
I understand the confusion. The "maximum" allowable pressure is indeed 50 PSI. However, trailer tire pressure is dependent on the weight on each tire. According to both Scamp and Goodyear, the tire pressure for my '84 Scamp 13 should be 15 to 20 PSI, depending on how much stuff I have inside. Most people ignore this and always inflate to max sidewall pressure... but in my opinion, that's like always taking elevators to the top floor.

Here's a link to Goodyear's recommendation. It's the very first chart. Note that the chart is based on the weight on EACH tire, not the whole trailer weight.

http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/rv_inflation.pdf
Old 05-01-2011, 08:29 PM   #21

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Oh no, here we go again.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:33 PM   #22

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H
Oh no, here we go again.
There's really no valid argument to do it any other way... besides "I fill to max sidewall pressure because someone terribly smart told me to."

The people who make the tires and the people who make the trailers both agree... And it seems to work. Tire temperature stays in the proper range, and it cuts down on bouncing.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:40 PM   #23

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
See, here we go again, Thanks Francesca.There's been so many arguments about tire pressure do's and don't s and tongue weights and tiny little tow vehicles it's really just best to sit back and watch. ha ha hee hee.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:45 PM   #24

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Question Tire Pressure

Apparently it depends on the tire brand. Here is Carlisle's reccommendation:

http://www.carlisletire.com/product_...ire_poster.pdf

Notice the first point in the list at the bottom:

Keep your tires air pressure at the Maximum PSI recommended on the sidewall of the tire

On my tires, that is 50 psi. According to Good Year, I should keep it at 30 psi because my max weight is 1000 lbs per tire.

BTW. what does OT mean?

BUT according to Frederick Simpson, my right tire carries 840# and the left 760#. So should I run 25 psi right and 20 psi left?

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:50 PM   #25

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
See, here we go again, Thanks Francesca.There's been so many arguments about tire pressure do's and don't s and tongue weights and tiny little tow vehicles it's really just best to sit back and watch. ha ha hee hee.
WHAT WAS I THINKING !?!?!?
MAKE IT STOP!

Sorry, Bobbie, and everyone else that wanted to talk about- what was it we were talking about?
Oh, yes.
BATTERY PACKS!!!!!!!

Francesca
Old 05-01-2011, 08:56 PM   #26

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
LOL... eventually it all comes down to load limits, doesn't it?

Now I'm so confused.. so if my tires are at maximum pressure but my wattage is too low, the coffee will brew slowly? And if my tires are at a lower pressure so the trailer doesn't bounce, the coffee will still brew slowly but will taste flat as well?

What happens if I just stop at Starbucks? Do I have to let some air out of my tires to allow for the extra foam on my latte?

(Which is not really an option in the original scenario as it is 45 minutes away.)
Old 05-01-2011, 10:55 PM   #27

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
LOL... eventually it all comes down to load limits, doesn't it?

Now I'm so confused.. so if my tires are at maximum pressure but my wattage is too low, the coffee will brew slowly? And if my tires are at a lower pressure so the trailer doesn't bounce, the coffee will still brew slowly but will taste flat as well?

What happens if I just stop at Starbucks? Do I have to let some air out of my tires to allow for the extra foam on my latte?

(Which is not really an option in the original scenario as it is 45 minutes away.)

Francesca
Old 05-04-2011, 03:25 PM   #28

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Bobbie,

I had a battery problem last September, I was in a SP and found someone with a jump starter. That incident got me to thinking once again about purchasing a jump starter. While at the Quartzsite, AZ gathering we got to talking about jump starters. A friend pulled out his Black and Decker 400 Electromate. I loved it as it's not just a jump starter.

I purchased mine at Home Depot for $99. It's a jump starter, has a d/c outlet, an a/c outlet and air compressor. Can be recharged by plugging into an a/c extension cord or via the 12v outlet.

I had a flat tire the other day and the air compressor work fine. I was out in the trailer and plugged the TV and sat. box in and watched TV for a little while. Don't know how long it would run both. I didn't do it long enough to time it out.

I'm going to make a pig tail for the solar panel so I can charge the Electromate via the 12v outlet in the event I need to when out dry camping. Or of course, I've got my generator I could use to charge. Just seems to me that a pig tail for the solar panel would allow me to leave it connected for charging without me being in the campsite. You know me, I'm into doing things with ease.

Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote