A little OT: Jump starters - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-28-2011, 05:36 PM   #1

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
A little OT: Jump starters

Not really OT as I would also be able to use one to power small electronics if I were off the grid. But I'm looking at getting a jumpstarter (one of those portable battery types) preferably one that also has a 110 outlet. Any recommendations? I don't want to spend more than about $100 if possible unless I can't get anything decent for less.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:43 PM   #2

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Not really OT as I would also be able to use one to power small electronics if I were off the grid. But I'm looking at getting a jumpstarter (one of those portable battery types) preferably one that also has a 110 outlet. Any recommendations? I don't want to spend more than about $100 if possible unless I can't get anything decent for less.
Hi, Bobbie

I bought one of those from Sears so I could power my- brace yourself- record player!
Yes, I mean vinyl records. My player is 12v so I didn't buy a battery with a 110 outlet. I'm thinking that might be a big upcharge as it would have to have an inverter built in to it.
You might think about buying the regular jumpstarter with the most power storage capacity you can afford, and adding a small inverter that plugs directly into it like the one in the picture. I got one at Wal-Mart for $20.00. The nice thing about this is you can also use it in your car- I actually plug the "jumpstarter" ITSELF into this when I'm traveling and recharge it! Mine and the one pictured also have a USB port. You can buy these in various wattages, and some have two 110v plugs.

Hope this helps

Francesca

Old 05-01-2011, 06:23 AM   #3
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Hi Bobbie, Pardon my ignorance, OT? I have no experience with jumpstarters but I assume they are a rechargeable battery, lead acid gel cell I suspect, and if there is a 110 outlet, an inverter. You might be better off with just the inverter as you already have the battery. Just s thought, Raz
Old 05-01-2011, 08:54 AM   #4

Name: Clive
Trailer: Boler American #3104
Florida
Registry
Quote:

I liked this one, as an all-around useful gadget.

600 Amp Jump Starter - Air Compressor - 400 Watt/110V Power Inverter - iNeedParts.com
Old 05-01-2011, 09:56 AM   #5

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Hi Bobbie, Pardon my ignorance, OT? I have no experience with jumpstarters but I assume they are a rechargeable battery, lead acid gel cell I suspect, and if there is a 110 outlet, an inverter. You might be better off with just the inverter as you already have the battery. Just s thought, Raz
The jump starter is a power pac you can carry out to your dead battery and use it to start your car. That's my primary need. Some of them also have things such as air compressors (also useful) built in, some have 12V outlets, and some have 110 outlets.

If I'm going to have this battery sitting around, it makes sense to have it also useful for things like recharging the electronics when the power goes out. Ideally I'd like something that would let me heat water when the power is out. (I could go out and do that in the trailer but by the time we have windstorms and power failures the trailer is tucked in for the winter.)
Old 05-01-2011, 10:39 AM   #6

Registry
Interesting idea!
I wonder how much power that would draw...
Does anybody out there know how long you could power something like a percolator (1500 watts?) off one of these units?

Francesca
Old 05-01-2011, 10:45 AM   #7

Washington
Registry
You can't get 1500 watts. But there are some water heaters that draw much less. My Keurig is rated at 700 watts- what would happen if I only had 600? Would it just be slower?

There are some 12V coffee pots around, has anyone tried those?
Old 05-01-2011, 11:05 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Yes it would be like turning your stove down from high to medium.

Bill K

Quote:
You can't get 1500 watts. But there are some water heaters that draw much less. My Keurig is rated at 700 watts- what would happen if I only had 600? Would it just be slower?

There are some 12V coffee pots around, has anyone tried those?
Old 05-01-2011, 11:07 AM   #9

Name: Donald & Debra
Trailer: Compact Jr 'RV There Yet'
Texas
Registry
I have used a 12v coffee pot in the truck, slow way to go, and you have to stop to use(slops water if moving down the road).
Old 05-01-2011, 11:20 AM   #10

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Yes it would be like turning your stove down from high to medium.

Bill K
That would be okay. It does 8 oz in about 3 minutes so if it took longer that would not be an issue. As long as it wouldn't hurt the machine.

The other option is a small propane stove but then I have to worry about ventilation.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:06 PM   #11

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Anything that creates heat like a coffee pot, curling iron, hair straightener,(you get the picture) is very hard on a DC setup, even a generator has a hard time with anything that makes heat.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:25 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don'n'Deb View Post
I have used a 12v coffee pot in the truck, slow way to go, and you have to stop to use(slops water if moving down the road).
I think an important difference to consider is that your truck is probably running while you're making the coffee.
I'm wondering how long a battery pack would last without that continuous charge

Francesca
Old 05-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #13

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
Anything that creates heat like a coffee pot, curling iron, hair straightener,(you get the picture) is very hard on a DC setup, even a generator has a hard time with anything that makes heat.
So maybe better to get a propane burner for inside backup (don't worry, plenty of air-leaks at my cabin so no worries about asphyxiation while heating water for coffee) and not hope the jump-starter can do that job, just let it recharge the iPad and phone.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:19 PM   #14

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We have a 600 watt Mr. Coffee that we run off an Inverter when off the grid. It takes about 10 minutes to make coffee and has little effect on the battery.

We carry a 1000 watt inverter and a smaller lighter inverter (100 watts). We use the small one for things like the TV.

Norm