A question about roof mounted air - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2014, 07:21 AM   #1

Name: Clay and Keri
Trailer: Eggert the Scamp
Tennessee
A question about roof mounted air

Good morning! I was wondering if any of you wonderful folks could tell me what the previous owner had in mind with the addition of this piece of angle iron to the top of my 83 Scamp. It looks as if he added or intended to add a roof top air conditioner. Will this work? Is it enough support? Thank you so much in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
20140729_075752_resized.jpg   20140729_075809_resized.jpg  

20140729_075814_resized_1.jpg  
JeepScamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:22 AM   #2

Tennessee
Oh, and by the way, its a 13'
Old 07-29-2014, 08:45 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I doubt it was for air conditioning support as air conditioners sit flat on the roof. Maybe to straighten a sagging roof when someone added air conditioning to an unsupported roof or maybe to mount some solar panels or something. With out extra holes drilled in it who knows what the intentions is. Does the inside of your trailer still have the cabinets inside going up to the roof to provide roof support?
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:45 AM   #4

Tennessee
Thanks Steve! Yes, the "closet" on one side and the cabinets with wrought iron on the other. I've heard that the old ones like this don't have enough support for roof air. I don't know. Maybe the piece is to hang the egg from a rafter!
Old 07-29-2014, 11:34 AM   #5

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Just guessing, but I think he/she called theirself building a dam across the roof in front of the back vent. Don't know why, unless they had water issues with the vent. It is sho-nuff ug-a-lie!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:21 PM   #6

Tennessee
Hey! No need to be mean! "Eggertt" is beautiful! LOL.

Well we rode out the storms in it this past weekend, storms meaning F-3 tornado just a few miles up the road. No leaks, so I don't know what its for. Makes me go...hmmmm.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:23 PM   #7

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
It's a rear spoiler, to help hold the back end down when driving fast. You have a rare Scamp Fastback model.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:01 PM   #8

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepScamp View Post
Hey! No need to be mean! "Eggertt" is beautiful! LOL.
The trailer IS beautiful, it is that stuck on piece of angle iron that hurts my eyes!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:29 PM   #9

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
Exterior reinforcement for the roof during heavy snow fall in case of out-door storage????? What those bolts in the middle of rail are for and bolting with what pcs from inside???? Just a guess....
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:22 PM   #10

Tennessee
Timber Wolf...I have to agree it hurts the eyes. Thinh...The inside is under the ensolite. Can't see what its to. Nothing that I can figure out. I think Mike Magee has the answer! A spoiler! I guess I'll have to paint flames down the side now. Or maybe paint the "spoiler" to look like carbon fiber!

Thanks guys! I really figured there would be an answer. However, if you look at my profile, PO also put in a window unit on the rear bumper. I guess I shouldn't complain, but that's also ugly!
Old 07-29-2014, 03:42 PM   #11

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
...Just wear a pair of..China made eye glasses, it wouldn't hurt your eyes at all. Be carefull not banging your coconut on the door of neighbour because you wouldn't see...a thing. Not mention about a big cane whacking on your top from next-door lady's hubby. Lol....
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp