a very informal survey - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-18-2007, 03:21 PM   #15

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Race ME???
Heck, I ain't NO RACIST, in fact I'm slowern blazes.

...ain't got me no blower neither, LOL!!!!!

Old 09-19-2007, 01:17 PM   #16

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
I have noticed in some severe winter driving conditions that four wheel drive trucks and SUVs are over-represented in the ditches: while the rest of us drive carefully, some of them blast down - and off of - the road.
I missed this part of you post originally and want to follow up with one of my cop buddy's comments.
He says a lot of AWD and 4WD vehicle go off frozen roads on a curve and a lot to the drivers confessed to taking the turns fast because, "I have four wheel drive"

Old 09-19-2007, 01:48 PM   #17

Name: Michael
Trailer: Amerigo & Trailmanor (popupish)
Indiana
The biggest problem with the informal survey you did is that the people were all self-selected. ie They decided to use or not-use the extra gear. So - the survey doesn't account for the possibility that people who like to drive fast tend to get the gear (ie flipping the cause/effect relationship). I find it just as believable that people who drive at reasonable speeds don't experience that many towing 'issues' thus, don't get the extra stuff. The speed freaks are much more likely to run into problems, which then might cause them to run out and get the extras. Lord knows they aren't gonna take that as a hint to SLOW THE HECK DOWN!

For myself - I don't have the extras. I'm pulling a pretty small, light trailer with a full-size van too. Yeah, a bit of overkill. In general, I keep the speeds pretty sedate, but we almost exclusively camp in-state and aren't driving for hour after hour after hour either. Some of it for me is kids and age. When I was younger and hadn't yet spawned I was much more of a leadfoot. I never owned a single car or motorcycle where I didn't know EXACTLY what it's limits were on the freeway. I don't do that anymore. I'm just not in that much of a hurry to get anywhere.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:30 PM   #18

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
The biggest problem with the informal survey you did is that the people were all self-selected. ie They decided to use or not-use the extra gear. So - the survey doesn't account for the possibility that people who like to drive fast tend to get the gear (ie flipping the cause/effect relationship).

[b]That indeed is a BIG problem with my survey. Perhaps I should have called it a “very informal survey”[b]

I find it just as believable that people who drive at reasonable speeds don't experience that many towing 'issues' thus, don't get the extra stuff. The speed freaks are much more likely to run into problems, which then might cause them to run out and get the extras. Lord knows they aren't gonna take that as a hint to SLOW THE HECK DOWN!

Boy is this true! Some people drive fast regardless!!! I think that’s why some of the ones with goodies drove pretty slow and some without them drove pretty fast. I was combining the averages and I was expounding on input from my neighbors (read cop friends) that’s all.

In a nut shell I don’t think you will find too many people who will “confess” to driving faster with, for example, an anti-sway bar.

I will rest on this: most people drive faster when they are isolated from (cant feel) the road. Me included.

BMW 2002 Tii vs Cadillac Eldorado

Ron