A Weak Glue - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2019, 02:55 PM   #1

Name: aj
Trailer: Roamer TC
Georgia
A Weak Glue

Looking for a good way to weakly glue wood to gelcoat fiberglass interior wall.

I am mounting a board as a sort of bed rail (to hide the side of the bed) and using two bolts into the FG, but want more strength as I will be sliding across the board to access the bed. However, I do want the option down the road to remove it all with not much more than the 4 holes left behind.

Anyone used a weak glue that was good enough for the job, but not so good that it could not be removed?
I was thinking to use some cheap caulk or lap sealant. Just enough stick that it gives the support.

I have approx a 2x2 wood that gets attached to the gelcoat and the long bed board screws into that. The 2x2 is 5 inches tall and is what is getting bolted and glued.
Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:41 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I suggest either contact cement, or 3M body molding adhesive. If you can't just pull the piece off, you can "saw" along the glue line with dental floss to remove stuff. Any residue can be removed easily with an eraser wheel. This is used on auto paint, and things can be removed with mo evidence they were there, such as removing name badges and model numbers from cars.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:51 PM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
double sided carpet tape should work just fine for this job.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 12:30 PM   #4

Name: aj
Trailer: Roamer TC
Georgia
I don't have a pic posted yet. I ended up using caulk since I had that on hand. The bolts worked alone pretty well and the fiberglass was thick enough for a god anchor, so the caulk kept things stable and from wiggling. So far so good, and it can be undone easily if ever needed - no residue
Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote