? about our new Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #1

Name: Ken
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 16' deluxe 2008 FJ Cruiser
Pennsylvania
? about our new Scamp

We brought our new Scamp 16 front bath side dinette home last week and have been trying everything out. First thing how long does the frig take to cool down on electric its been two hours and its only gone down 2 deg. Worked faster on propane. Second thing. Why would you put the thermostat at the foot of the bed where your feet hit it and it gets covered by blankets? I moved it. Third how do you take a shower without using up all the water in your tank? We had a extra tank installed thank goodness wife and I toke showers and used about 8 gallons out of 24 possible. I guess we have to work on that. I already mounted the fence post cover underneath for the sewer hose, made a cutting board cover for the stove, installed a microwave, and fixed the shower drain that fell off underneath, and new curtains. All and all we love it. Ken & Pat
Ken in Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The refer should cool down in about 4-6 hours on a/c, make sure the unit is level. To conserve water you take "Navy" showers where you fill the sink and bathe with that water via wash cloth or sponge, you then shower off the soapy water quickly. No more than 2-3 gallons
Old 07-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #3

Pennsylvania
Jim you were right the FJ handled the scamp great with no problems on the way home from Backus. Only thing 21 mpg going 13 coming back with a head wind and rain. Also didn't need the airbags waste of $ never put in more than 5 lb.
Ken
Old 07-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
In our unit, we were allowed one gallon for a shower.
Get wet with cold water. Lather up, rinse off.
Towel off what was left.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:07 PM   #5

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Congrats on the new unit Ken.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #6

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken in Pa View Post
Jim you were right the FJ handled the scamp great with no problems on the way home from Backus. Only thing 21 mpg going 13 coming back with a head wind and rain. Also didn't need the airbags waste of $ never put in more than 5 lb.
Ken
I never put in more than 5 myself, as long as it keeps it level. Do you have a w/d set up? I wondering if the FJ can handle the new 21'?
Old 07-21-2013, 06:52 AM   #7

Pennsylvania
We do not have the w/d or the sway systems. Our trailer even has two propane bottles and still rode nice and level. We are real happy with the FJ. Jim are you a member of the FJ forum they can help with questions about the 21'. There are people on there pulling that size. Thanks for all your help.
Ken
Old 07-21-2013, 06:54 AM   #8

Pennsylvania
Registry
Yes, I'm there also, have't found anyone else with the new 21' Escape. I'm probably going to get a w/d for the FJ, it squats with the 19'. My air bags are on my Ram. I'd like to put them on the FJ but it involves a lot more labor.
You guys aver go to Burnt Cabins? Here is info http://agmap.psu.edu/Businesses/index.cfm?fid=3607
Old 07-21-2013, 07:32 AM   #9

Pennsylvania
Never been to Burnt Cabins I hope to some day. On the airbags not much labor at all. I jacked up the FJ and removed the tire. Stepped on the airbag to get all the air out lubed them up with soap and pushed them in. Hooked up the hoses and done. No wrenching involved. Found that tip on the FJ forum.
Ken
Old 07-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #10

Pennsylvania
Registry
I see, the newer ones, like mine you have to remove the spring as there is a rubber bumper inside, real pia. Anyway, glad it worked out. By the way, I added led to the FJ's mirror lights and a set of auxiliary lights, discussed here http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-57835.html
Now back to your regularly broadcasts.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #11

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
My air bags are on my Ram. I'd like to put them on the FJ but it involves a lot more labor.
The reason that installation of Firestone airbags in the FJ Cruiser involves significant labour is that the bump stop must be cut off to form a suitable upper seat for the bag, as described in the Coil-Rite kit 4135 installation instructions.

Quote:
On the airbags not much labor at all. I jacked up the FJ and removed the tire. Stepped on the airbag to get all the air out lubed them up with soap and pushed them in. Hooked up the hoses and done. No wrenching involved. Found that tip on the FJ forum.
That's the normal procedure for vehicles which have nothing inside the coil to be removed, and nothing extra to be installed (some vehicles require spacers or seats). What did the FJ forum say to do about the bump stop - or is it missing on your FJ, Ken?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #12

Pennsylvania
Yes I forgot. The bump stops were shortened in a minute with a sawzall soapy water for lube and a long blade. A spacer was also added to the inside bottom of the spring by just pushing it in. The hardest part was getting the tires off and on.
Ken
Old 07-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #13

Pennsylvania
Registry
great idea on the sawmill, I'll have to remember that if I ever change my mind about bags for the FJ.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:57 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Yes I forgot. The bump stops were shortened in a minute with a sawzall soapy water for lube and a long blade. A spacer was also added to the inside bottom of the spring by just pushing it in...
Thanks Ken, that makes more sense. I can see why Firestone would not instruct installers to use a saw between the coil turns - and I would be very careful not to nick the wire - but it's good to know everything can be done through the coil.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:37 PM   #15

Name: Paul
Trailer: '07 Scamp 16' SD
Wisconsin
Congrats in the new scamp

There is a water shutoff on the shower head you can use to temporarily shut off the water while you are lathering. Makes conserving water way easier
glennco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:50 PM   #16

Name: Harry
Trailer: 7/24/13...ordered a 2014 13 ft Scamp w/Shower/Toilet
Alabama
Hey Ken..congrats on your new Scamp. If you have time, read my thread under "newbie needs help before ordering". Telling about the fridge was good info for me. I'm sure my wife would be freaking out if it didn't cool down after an hour. The shower drain fell off?? I didn't see an option for an extra water tank...was this the hot water tank which I believe is 6 gallons? How long did it take to get it once you ordered it? We are on the gulf coast and will most likely have it delivered. It's just so far away. ANY advice on your experience would be appreciated. H
Hman66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp