About the couch back - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #1

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
About the couch back

Hey folks ... On the 16 foot, concerning the coach back that turns into the upper bunk, is the mattress on that glued to the bunk plywood? If not, how is it held on? I want to remove it shortly after I pick up my new (to me) trailer in a week.

Thanks.

Sharon
SharonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Sharon, We went to the factory to get new cushions this year. I removed the old couch back. It is held in place by two or three hinges, each held by 2 or 3 screws. Removing the screws is easy, have some one hold up the back and remove the screws from the wall side of the hinges. A very easy 10 minute job.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:57 PM   #3

Texas
Norm, thanks!

While I've got your attention...

I plan to use that upper bunk mattress free of a mattress because it will be for storage, mostly lightweight clothing in soft-side baskets. I read somewhere that piece of plywood is quite HEAVY, so I'm wondering in I should try to replace it with some lighter piece of wood, and maybe have a lip put in the front area where stuff could slide off -- say 6-8 inches high or so (or whatever height you might recommend to me).

S.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Fabric surrounds the "wood". I was going to pull it out of the corner in the family room to weigh but it was sort of buried. I don't think it is very heavy and without taking it out I am guessing that glue is involved in the layers of construction. You will want to leave it in one piece I think, at least until you get home.

I did use the upper bunk for the lower to be rid of the banana cushion, but it was very difficult to access under the front bench with the firm, solid mattress. Now I have all the front cushions in my family room as I made a new mattress for me to sleep on.

Sorry, but it doesn't seem to me you can do what you are thinking about.

Are you thinking of traveling with the top bunk up? I don't know if anyone does that. Seems to me it would not stay up with the bouncing around on the road. Since we removed ours as soon as we got it I am not the one to know that.

Sharon, I am also talking about Scamp bunk, I don't think you said what brand.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:20 AM   #5

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonM View Post
Hey folks ... On the 16 foot, concerning the coach back that turns into the upper bunk, is the mattress on that glued to the bunk plywood? If not, how is it held on? I want to remove it shortly after I pick up my new (to me) trailer in a week.

Thanks.

Sharon
I just got all my cushions redone. I'm going to pick them up friday. If I remember, I'll ask the upholstery shop.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:34 AM   #6

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
I just got all my cushions redone. I'm going to pick them up friday. If I remember, I'll ask the upholstery shop.
Thanks, Jared. Much appreciated.

Sharon
Old 02-26-2013, 07:01 AM   #7

Florida
Scamp Storage

We travel as a couple and have found plenty of storage space in the Scamp without using the upper bunk for storage. However it does require some additions.

You could leave the couch back in place and build a shelf over the end of the couch next to the bathroom. It would not need to be as sophistricated as ours and would allow you to fully use the couch for sleeping or sitting. This area has tremendous volume. To make it takes just a couple of brackets and sheet of 1/4" plywood and a couple of 1x3s.

We also have four plastic bins we use for storage, two under the center section of the couch, no work required here except the purchace of the bins and two under driver's side dinette. Both of these locations have room for infrequently accessed additional items behind or beside the bins.

Our under the dinette bins are on drawer/s slides but the slides are not necessary. Our bins are 9x10x15. You might consider getting 4 bins and seeing if you can fit your clothes in these four bins.

We also have added another drawer under the door side of the couch with a wider bin in it.

If you are buying a new Scamp, it's possible to get an over the dinette storage compartment. Scamp does not like to ship them but will gladly install one at the factory.

There are many other handy storage solutions in the Scamp, particularly for fulltimers where the effort is worth it. You might take a look at what we've done to our Scamp to add and organize existing space.

Hope this helps. Glad to send you any pictures you might want. You have my attention.

I decided to add some pictures for you. The first are Ginny's 2 bins under the center opening of the couch. The second is our over the couch cabinet. It could be made as a simple shelf as well. The third is Ginny's door side drawer. The fourth is where we store our 4 pairs of shoes, no effort on this one. The fifth is our reduced size table, not dinette drawers underneath. he sixth is our dinette drawers with bins.
Attached Thumbnails
Center Storage.jpg   Corner Cabinet.jpg  

Plastic Liner.jpg   shoes.jpg  

Table.jpg   Under Dinette Drawers.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #8

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
cabinet

how is the cabinet that is next to the bathroom attached to the wall.
Really like that set up.
Always need more storage since I like to be prepared for almost anything.
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:48 PM   #9

Florida
Ricky 4
There may be pictures under Modifications/Preparing a 1991 Scamp 16.

Basically I mounted 2 white right angle brackets to the wall with thewall side of the bracket up so it can't be seen under the cabinets.

Screws go thru the wall into the bathroom as well they go thru a board on the inside of the bathroom to distribute the forces to more than a screw hole. The nut side in thebathroom arecapped with Scamp white caps.

From there I built a base on the two right sngle brackets, building up from there.

It's been on the wall for almost two years and probably 30,000 miles without any issues

This closet is 27 inches deep and holds a lot of stuff. The items we have in it are mostly jerseys and sweaters. I've never weighef they but should. Our satelllite receiver hangs off the bottom.

Glad to respond to any questions and provide more pictures. It is mostly made of 1/4 " plywood and 1x3s

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Sharon the upper bunk does not weigh much at all. It was easy for me to carry when I removed it last year to recover. It not very thick as is designed to hold people of 100lbs or less?

It should work fine for storage as is, the foam may even help keep things from sliding around to much up there while traveling. You could add across the front of it something to stop things from coming off it - much the same as people do that have small children who sleep up there to prevent them from rolling off. Some people just use PVC to build a bar across. The thread Bunk Bed safety - should give you some ideas.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
In a Scamp the foam is glued to the board (I think 3/4" plywood). The end wings are hinged. If I were to add a front shelf and still sleep up front I would use a solid 1/2" piece of plywood, attach it to the seat shelf bracket, add a bracket to the closet wall and add a bracket to the screen door board by the door. Then you can get rid of the bunk post. I would add about a 2" lip on the shelf to keep stuff from falling off. Before installing the shelf glue rat fur to the entire shelf to match your interior. If you glue velcro hook material to the bottom of the stuff stored on the shelf it should not slide around but could be moved if needed.
Eddie

Click image for larger version

Name:	829 (2).jpg
Views:	16
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	55485

Click image for larger version

Name:	831 (2) - Copy.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	55486
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:45 AM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I've removed the gaucho back in my 25 year old Scamp. The foam wasn't glued down and the upholstery was stapled around to the back rather than like a free floating cushion like the rest of the trailer. I think it was done this way to keep it from slipping around when someone was sleeping on it.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I like Norm's corner shelf. I have a 16 Casita Std. that I am working on. I'm thinking about extending the goucho base back to the side dinette SD front wall (about 4") for a wider up front sleeping area. Then putting cabinets like Norm's between the SD upper wall and LH front of the trailer. The Goucho back will be removed and I will raise the goucho base for more storage. With a Casita std. you need all the storage space you can get.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #14

Texas
First off, thank you one and all for all your feedback. My "date" for getting the Scamp was changed a tad due to weather, but is now in place again for March 10.

Norm, I spent a few hours going over your mod topic for your 16-footer. There were at least a dozen mods that I would like following what you've done. My ideas for the couch shelf have not changed, as this is one mod where what I want will remain -- a shelf, no closet tucked behind the bathroom. As I'm able to get this done, I'll post pictures. I'm going into this with not a lot of money, and must make changes accordingly. I'm also going into this with few to none of the skills needed for so many mods I want.

This is a great little community and I'm glad to be here. Onward and upward, as they say.

Sharon

Tags
scamp