About to order a Independence - any words of advice? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2017, 01:28 PM   #1

Name: Linda
Trailer: In the market
Arizona
Thumbs down About to order a Independence - any words of advice?

After looking at lightweight travel trailers for nearly a year, we are about to order the 17' Independence. We think the twin bed design will make it easier for us to get around in the trailer. We are not the least bit mechanical, so fixing broken stuff and doing serious re-modeling is out of the question. All that said, is this a good trailer for us? We have a good towing vehicle, and have towed trailers before. We would like to get this right the first time.
Linda Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:49 PM   #2

Name: claire
Trailer: 2013 casita pd
Texas
linda, i think you'll love your casita independence. the only criticism i've heard it that the aisle is narrow. if that doesn't bother you, go for it! i've been full timing in my 2013 13ft casita PD (patriot deluxe. they stopped manufacturing them last christmas) and absolutely love the dependability, quality, ease of use of the casita. i love love love mine. best of luck
clairemr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:16 PM   #3

Arizona
Thanks, Claire

Thanks - we just got a call back from Casita and we're ordering it! This is exciting and scary all at once.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:29 PM   #4

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Congratulations. What is the projected wait time?
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:43 PM   #5

Arizona
Smile February!

Yes, we can expect it to be ready late February or early March. I should lose a pound or two pacing around waiting.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:43 PM   #6

Texas
good times! if possible, spend some time at some fiberglass rallies while you're waiting, focus on the casita Independence, talk to owners, make notes and take pics of their mods/decorating hints. you'll get a head start on casita ownership. you have such fun times ahead, congratulations! btw, it's a good idea to stay close by the factory for a night or two, go through all the systems. that way, if something needs to be adjusted, you're close by to get it done............................safe travels
Old 09-27-2017, 04:14 PM   #7

Arizona
Great minds...

We were just discussing a Texas camping trip after we pick it up, thinking we should be close in case we need help.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:02 PM   #8

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Casita Independence "Callimachusita"
Ocean City, NJ
A good idea is to stay the first night or two at American Rv park in Corsicana. They know Casita’s, and can fill your propane. Walmart is just down the street. American RV Park Corsicana, Texas
Pod Puppies: Josie and Frankie, Casita Kittens: Madison & Razzel & Mrs. Chow
librarianocnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:06 PM   #9

Arizona
Thanks

Corsicana - got it, thanks.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:20 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I owned an Indy. If I were to buy another Casita I would buy a Liberty because it is much more flexible. The Indy is really a rolling bed room with no crawl over. Floor space is really tight in an Indy, not even a place to drop your shoes. If and when you buy mattresses, two are really expensive. We made our own from a queen foam mattress from Amazon. When sitting to eat the seats are so wide there is no back support. I had an early Indy with no lower storage doors, and had to dig under the bed cushions anytime I wanted to store stuff. (You should not have that issue.) You really need to view one in person and see for yourself. Casita does make a really good trailer I'm sure you will enjoy which ever model you buy. This was just my experience with the Indy.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:25 AM   #11

Texas
thanks, eddie, for posting your real life experience with the ID. i had heard owners criticize the narrow aisle but hadn't thought about trying to sit in the wider beds/booth when table is up and having no back support.
i used to be a big fan of the SD (the most popular model) but having seen all of them now at rallies, i'd go with the LD too if i ever upgrade. owners who need a wider twin bed than comes with the LD have used something as simple as a pool noodle in back to increase the bed width, then they enjoy much more floor space. i agree it would be good to attend some rallies or visit the factory to actually see the differences before deciding, if possible.
anyway, you've given some food for thought.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:38 AM   #12

Arizona
No crawl-over is the thing

Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge. The no crawl-over is what's really important to us due to physical limitations (mostly from AMA - at-my-age).
Old 09-28-2017, 12:00 PM   #13

Name: Judith
Trailer: 1984 Sportsmaster
California
Casita

We like the Liberty Delux. Would love an independence for storage. I've looked at the Escape online. I hesitate on all the Fiberglass, only because I love to quilt and my fabric stash will be limited. I carry 2 machines and as much fabric as I can! I like the large tables in the Liberty with the better kitchen. It's a hard decision for me. My husband found a carrier for the back and that has me encouraged! We have a F-250 diesel so power will not be a problem. I am looking for the Liberty Delux or the Escape 19. Thank you!
Blinkey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:28 PM   #14

California
The Casita

I just spoke with Chasidy at Casita and she said they changed the 2 small tables for a medium in the center isle. So now I can have the independence. Decisions!! Thank you for the information above. I read all the information presented here. I like this web sight very much. My husband leans toward the LD. Will work on finances.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:48 PM   #15

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Casita Independence "Callimachusita"
Ocean City, NJ
We’ve never used the tables in our ID. If we are not outside we usually have our backs against the MW or sink.
Pod Puppies: Josie and Frankie, Casita Kittens: Madison & Razzel & Mrs. Chow
librarianocnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 03:21 PM   #16

California
I have a rather large and heavy Bernina sewing machine with an extend plexiglass table. I will need a good size table. I can use my Featherweight also. If it's nice I will sew outside. I have thought of selling all my sewing supplies and fabric and just reading. Hubby says no. I have invested enough money that I should have bought a fiberglass trailer!
Old 09-28-2017, 07:17 PM   #17

Name: Tony
Trailer: Casita
New York
We have an Indy, picked it up a year ago yesterday and have spent 75 days in it so far.
Small tables are not convenient and seem to get in the way, especially when getting out of bed at night, which is the whole point of getting an Indy. Casita supplies a larger piece that you put between beds in case you ever want to make a double bed in the back, which we do occasionally. I took the flange off a small table and mounted it under that large piece. That makes for a decent size table and it might be big enough to sew on, don't know. Can also move it to the front when washing ,cooking etc. We take it down at night and slide the top back under the rear cushion as far as it will go (flange prevents it from going all the way). But, that foot plus that it sticks out is handy for phones, remotes, clocks etc. Hope that's not too confusing.

I think everyone questions their choice. Its really not life or death and each model has features. Study up, pick a model and make it your own.
Adirondack Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:01 PM   #18

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
We had a Liberty. If you are going to set up a Liberty in twin bed mode, the twins are only 23 inches wide, while a standard twin bed is 39 inches wide. Thats quite a difference! So it ended up more like two narrow army cots, than twin beds. If I were to do it again, I'd probably go with a Spirit instead to have someplace to sit without taking up the bed. But then the bed is small. Decisions, decisions.

In the end, there really is no perfect camper, just whatever camper works best for you.

If you want a larger table, the Escape 19 or the Escape 21 have larger tables (44 inches on the 19, 48 inches with the 21).

We ultimately moved from the Casita to an Escape to get a larger bed and a larger dinette. But its a crawl over bed.

All the brands make good trailers. To me, its all about the floor plan, the features you want, and the price (what fits within the budget, hence no Oliver for me).
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 12:47 PM   #19

Trailer: Casita
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Mc View Post
After looking at lightweight travel trailers for nearly a year, we are about to order the 17' Independence. We think the twin bed design will make it easier for us to get around in the trailer. We are not the least bit mechanical, so fixing broken stuff and doing serious re-modeling is out of the question. All that said, is this a good trailer for us? We have a good towing vehicle, and have towed trailers before. We would like to get this right the first time.
Get all the bells and whistles, have them put in plug for solar panels and you can have them install another electric plug also, get electric crank on front it's nice
Txlmt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:31 AM   #20

Name: John
Trailer: Sold 2017 Casita SD
North Carolina
Check List

Take a huge check list with you and do a pre purchase inspection very closely. Check every latch, hinge and door as well as all the systems. Look over the outside with a fine tooth comb for any repaired areas. (I had two large areas that were repaired as well as 4-5 small areas) They do a crappy job of pre delivery inspection, so buyer beware.
Just my two cents, I found over a dozen quality items after the fact.

Needless to say, I will never own another Casita EVER!
skyking is offline   Reply With Quote