AC curiosity - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2012, 03:31 PM   #1

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Scamp 16
Illinois
AC curiosity

This seems to be something new and unique. Its called ClimateRight Portable Tent and Small RV Air Conditioner/Heater Combo. It's 7,000 btu plus heat, which should be perfect for the 16's. It sits outside and two maybe 4" dia ducts exchange the air through a window or... But I am hopping to get confirmation of it's ability to cool. I can't find ratings or reviews yet. It's $599 at camping world
Jeff
Jeffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
That's about the same price as a roof top unit and 2500 BTU sounds very small to cool an RV in the hot sun.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #3

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
I looked up the company web site. They recommend the small unit for rooms up to 350sq ft. So you would need the larger one for a 16' trailer. It is a heat pump(so won't work well in extreme cold), but doesn't take much power. One problem, per the manufacturer, it must be mounted outside. Nice idea though.

Someone once made a cabinet mounted AC/heatpump but I haven't seen one in a while.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Florida
For the Record

A Scamp 16 is only about 90 square feet, about 7 x 13.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:35 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
ClimateRight Portable Tent and Small RV Air Conditioner/Heater Combo

My Fiber Stream 16' is just painted fiberglass on the inside with no insulation. When it is over 95 degrees outside, the 5000 BTU window air conditioner that I paid $99 for can keep just the King size bed area cool, but not the kitchen or bathroom. The same air conditioner in the window of my 12' x 12' bedroom (with 9' ceilings) in my house will freeze the whole room in about 45 minutes.

I expect this unit to do about the same, or a little better under those conditions.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #6

Name: Jeff
Illinois
Well, I won't get the Scamp till mid Oct so I won't need AC till next yr. By then I have to decide; Roof mount, Closet or window. And maybe by then there will be more info on the Portable unit.
Thanks for the observations.
Jeff
Jeffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:13 PM   #7

Name: George
Trailer: 85 Uhaul CT 13
North Carolina
Another option; I circulate with a small Fan and it stays nice and comfy!
George Lauver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:18 PM   #8

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
My error-I meant 350 cubic feet-not square feet!
Old 08-17-2012, 10:15 PM   #9

Name: Jane and Greg
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul CT
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Lauver
Is that a window air conditioner mounted under front seat? Do you have a pic of outside? We also have ct and still trying to figure out an air conditioner option that doesN't compromise the original configuration too much.
Jane SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:13 AM   #10

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
350 cubic feet is even smaller than a 13' Scamp (@ abt 480 c.f.), more like a small bathroom maybe.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:44 AM   #11

North Carolina
Yes Jane, It's a GE 5K BTU $99 Sam's Club buy. It has a built in evaporator pan eliminating the need to install one; never a drop on the floor all season. I cut 2 deck holes, one for cold air intake and one for the hot air exhaust; I simply arrive at camp site, remove lids, and turn it on. Keeps my little uninsulated camper a comfy 72 degree's on the hotest of days using a small fan to circulate the air.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #12

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
George, if its not too much trouble, can you explain further? I assume the deck holes are for a boat and can be purchased through marine supply company? Is there any type of ducting or air baffles inside the seat cubby area to divide intake/outake air? Does it make the seat warm or anything? This seems too ingeniously simple..... I love this idea
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:05 PM   #13

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
I'm installing my 5000 BTU unit in my closet today, started yesterday. I could use some good rounds vents/ports like you have for cool air intake, but I plan on putting them underneath. Any pointers on options welcome.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:27 PM   #14

British Columbia
BTW George, I love your upholstery. I'm looking for just the right fabric and pattern before redoing all of mine. Thinking a dark greenish, subtle, traditional "oriental" paisley/floral type thing. Red/brown accents.

Sorry for the off topic.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #15

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
George, if its not too much trouble, can you explain further? I assume the deck holes are for a boat and can be purchased through marine supply company? Is there any type of ducting or air baffles inside the seat cubby area to divide intake/outake air? Does it make the seat warm or anything? This seems too ingeniously simple..... I love this idea
I'm pretty sure there is ducting/baffles, the cool air goes in the sides and top of window units and out the back. So something would have to isolate the back of the unit from the sides, top and the back, with ducts going to each.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:24 PM   #16

Name: Susanne
Trailer: in the market
Arizona
Smile like idea of mounting unit in cubby

Do you have a picture of the cubby top down showing how the unit sits in it? do you have a duct to the intake and outflow or is it a free for all? I have a unit just like yours and was considering mounting it out the back window. The window is just wide enough. Like your idea better though.
Susanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:42 PM   #17

British Columbia
I can post some pics of how I isolate mine in my closet install. Once I actually do it! But I have a plan, and hope to have it done my morning (working nights). The cubby install would be similar in theory I'm sure. You will get little to no cooling if you have a "free for all", the hot air has to exit the trailer, if you just stick the AC unit in a box with no cool air from outside and most importantly not venting the hot outside, the AC unit will actually make more heat than cold inside the trailer. Heat exchangers (an AC unit is basically a heat exchanger) have to vent the heat out of the system, it's a design fundamental.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #18

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
Dylan,

Check out George's album on his AC install here. You were correct that he did some work inside to get the hot air out one port and cold in the other.

His install has intrigued me. I have a scamp 13 but don't have the depth under the side of the front bench like he had so I'm thinking of using under the center of the front bench and venting entirely under the trailer with fans to ensure enough air movement to get the hot air out.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #19

North Carolina
Sorry all for taking so long to get back to you. Yes, Pam it was almost too easy. Thanks Eric to pointing all to my albums. Susanne I never liked the idea of a window install because of possible leaks; nor is the Uhaul closet wide enough to hold unit therefore I chose said location. Dylan the material was bought at Hancocks off of the clearance display, the wife said with piping,thread,zippers and all about $100; of course she supplied the free labor. For the install I used 1" foam board and metal duct tape to form my hot air return to the outside and cold air vent is open to enter all intake vent on unit. I have experienced some water being blown in openings during heavy rains so I'm working on a hood to install after removing lids.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #20

Name: Jane and Greg
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul CT
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Lauver
Your post made my day, really looking forward to meeting you in oct and seeing your air conditioning mod...
Jane SC is offline   Reply With Quote