AC possibility - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2008, 09:09 PM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I was at Home Depot and found a 9000 BTU AC unit (portable) with an extremely small footprint, less than a square foot. I'm not sure I could use it in my trailer but I think I probably could- it would be possible to walk past it if it were sitting somewhere in the trailer. I'm not sure it wouldn't be more of a nuisance than I want but I thought I'd mention it as some of you have more space and might be interested.

It was an Amcor, I think, 9000 BTU (I'm sure of the latter) and is not on the website for our area but was in the store for $299.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 05:50 AM   #2

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I picked up one of these portable units over the winter and I have been trying to figure out how to use it in my 16' Scamp?

So far I can not really come up with any ideas where it is not just in the way

I have taken it apart somewhat and can not see any easy way to reconfigure it to go into the closet by the door and it is too tall to go in under the sink.

The best so far is to slide it into the Bathroom and leave the door open where it will then be in the way.And of course then I can not get into the Bathroom until I slide the AC back out.

I did not pay much at all for it (buy them in January!)but I really want to find a spot that will work.

Ideas?

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:51 AM   #3

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
An air conditioner merely moves heat from one area (inside) to another area (outside). In these portable units, both areas are the same (inside). There is no way they can reduce the inside temperature. The best they can do is to blow cooler air, but the heat removed from that cooler air stays inside.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:41 AM   #4

Registry
Quote:
An air conditioner merely moves heat from one area (inside) to another area (outside). In these portable units, both areas are the same (inside). There is no way they can reduce the inside temperature. The best they can do is to blow cooler air, but the heat removed from that cooler air stays inside.
It has a vent to the outside for moisture and warmer air. You put the vent through a window.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:07 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
I found this Air conditioner at the URL listed below. Looks like it will fit under the stovetop in my 16' Scamp. The vent for my refrigerater is on that wall and I could use the vent for the AC. I would need to modify the cabinet to mount it, but looks doable.

Dimensions:
Height: 24 3/4"
Width: 19 1/4"
Depth: 13 1/4"

http://www.compactappliance.com/Koldfront-...ir_Conditioners
Roddy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:18 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
I have taken it apart somewhat and can not see any easy way to reconfigure it to go into the closet by the door and it is too tall to go in under the sink.

Ideas?
Can you post some pictures of the unit opened with a ruler in each shot?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:16 PM   #7

Registry
This one I was looking at was attractive because of the very small footprint. It would be like having a small child standing still somewhere in the trailer. In fact, I was thinking it might sit right on one of the seats by the bed. My concern would be securing it for travel, though, so it didn't fall over. I'd also want to find one in California so I didn't have to travel with it when I don't need it.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:25 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
How about this one!

http://air-conditioner.com/iceuse.html

Good luck, I have searched high and low for a small AC and have not found one with a 12" X 12" footprint. If you find the one you saw please let me know?

Thanks!
Roddy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:18 PM   #9

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Registry
I couldn't figure out why, in my Trillium 5500, someone had cut out the entire short side of the front bench seat closest to the door, put a divider in the storage space under the seats and installed a louvered vent in the fiberglass in that space. Also, an electrical outlet that only works with shore power. Imagine my surprise when the average small, cheap window air conditioner slid right in...

I haven't had it out to see how it works in 'real camping' but I'll report back with how it worked. If it does, I'll take a picture or two. Helen

Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:43 AM   #10

Registry
The one I saw was like this

http://www.sylvane.com/amcor-nanomax-a12000e.html

But smaller and 9000 instead of 12000. (The 12000 has only a 12x13 footprint.)

I like the underseat idea; I'll have to do some measurements.