AC under the bed? - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-25-2008, 11:10 PM   #1
Name: Bobbie
Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970/Escape 15A
We were talking about accessing storage under the beds. My question is, if I put an AC unit down there, would it work? I would obviously have to vent it outside (no different really than cutting a hatch to outside for storage.) But would it circulate air well enough if it were just under the edge of the bed? I've never used a window AC so I don't know how well they blow air. It would be about where the black canopy bag is sitting in this picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	campsterbed.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	12251

You might ask why put it there as opposed to a more open spot? I'm just thinking about space utilization. I can't easily get into the under-bed storage so having things there that I don't need to get into makes sense, like the water tank and possibly the AC.

I'm probably not going to put one in anytime soon but I saw a tiny one at Target today which got me thinking.

Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:50 AM   #2
Name: Per
Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft Widebody towed by Touareg TDI
I have a 5000Btu AC tucked away in the cabinet beneath my bed. It required a lot of destruction, construction, ducting and messing around before it was done.

The unit is marginal but still useful for my 17' trailer. It is a "stealth" unit in that the intake and outlet for the exterior air circuit of the thing goes through the floor rather than the side. Works well. An air duct sends the cooled air to a central place on the rear wall, and splicing into the electronic controls made it possible to put them out in the open.

I did install a couple of helper fans, one for the inside and one for the outside circuit since the original fan was much too weak. My plan is to eventually install a 8000 Btu unit for a quicker cool down (if I can find one that is not too tall).
Attached Thumbnails
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote