AC under the bed? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2008, 11:10 PM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
We were talking about accessing storage under the beds. My question is, if I put an AC unit down there, would it work? I would obviously have to vent it outside (no different really than cutting a hatch to outside for storage.) But would it circulate air well enough if it were just under the edge of the bed? I've never used a window AC so I don't know how well they blow air. It would be about where the black canopy bag is sitting in this picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	campsterbed.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	12251

You might ask why put it there as opposed to a more open spot? I'm just thinking about space utilization. I can't easily get into the under-bed storage so having things there that I don't need to get into makes sense, like the water tank and possibly the AC.

I'm probably not going to put one in anytime soon but I saw a tiny one at Target today which got me thinking.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:50 AM   #2

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
I have a 5000Btu AC tucked away in the cabinet beneath my bed. It required a lot of destruction, construction, ducting and messing around before it was done.

The unit is marginal but still useful for my 17' trailer. It is a "stealth" unit in that the intake and outlet for the exterior air circuit of the thing goes through the floor rather than the side. Works well. An air duct sends the cooled air to a central place on the rear wall, and splicing into the electronic controls made it possible to put them out in the open.

I did install a couple of helper fans, one for the inside and one for the outside circuit since the original fan was much too weak. My plan is to eventually install a 8000 Btu unit for a quicker cool down (if I can find one that is not too tall).
Attached Thumbnails
Cabinte_door__with_grille_and_switch.jpg  
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
Arrow

Hi Per, I am really interested in how you vented your unit and if you feel that provides enough exhaust venting and intake? I just posted about wanting to install an 8,000 BTU wall unit AC in the old console TV cabinet in my Bigfoot B19 and was figuring that I would have to cut a large vent in the back wall of my travel trailer in order to do so, but of course, I would much prefer running an exhaust and intake vent down through the floor and I do have the room to do that, so would love to know more details - such as:

Are there wall units that can attach to exhaust and intake tubes (if so, what models) or did you have to modify your wall unit to use exhaust/intake tubes instead of a larger wall vent?

What diameter tubes did you use? Are they insulated? Did you put some kind of wire mesh at the bottom to prevent critters from crawling in? What did you attach them to the floor with and what is on the exterior of the vents?

Is yours a wall or window unit?

Where did you install the helper fans?

Any install or set up photos you could share, to help us understand the layout?

When you upgrade to a higher BTU unit (if you can find one that fits), are you planning to use the same venting system or will you have to modify it?

Thanks for any information you can share! Your install looks OEM - really sharp!
V'sGlassSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:26 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Couple ideas here at post 44-5, draws air from under and exits it out the back.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...r-55601-4.html
A helper fan out the back really helps.
Have never needed it at night so haven't modded the switches.
Fine for our 13ft. Boler
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
That's a really nice floor install, Fred! Does the floor vent bring the air up to the sides of the unit? Did you then isolate the back of the unit where it exhausts so that the intake and exhaust air do not mix? Do you have some sort of screen in the floor vent opening to prevent critters from crawling in? Thanks for your response.
V'sGlassSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:29 AM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Hey V, yes the side vents bring air up to the condenser fan.
No they're not screened, that side of the AC is outside on a normal window install so the evaporator and it's shrouding keeps the bugs out. The install is over 10 years (probably 14 if memory serves) old and bugs never been a problem.
The whole unit is inside the boler so the air exhaust is sealed to the vent.
The hot side of the AC unit is insulated from the cabin.
The only problem is, the rear vent has been painted a couple a times so the holes are smaller and makes it harder for the air to get out. I have a small fan that rests on the bumper outside the grill and pulls the hot air out, works well.
Dispersing cold air at the top of the unit would be preferable but bolers don't have the roof for it, PLUS I don't like the look of the AC unit sitting atop a boler type RV,, Bolers look too cool to have a roof AC.
I've seen closet installs and like location on the inside of the unit but the air flow and noise in the outdoor living area made that a no go for me.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote