Access doors - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2007, 11:42 PM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I would like to put some doors on the outside of the trailer that would open up into the under-seat storage areas (since I have the back of the bed area set up as a permanent bed I've lost easy access to two-thirds of the under-seat storage. My question is what people who have done this have used as doors?

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:27 AM   #2

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
I would like to put some doors on the outside of the trailer that would open up into the under-seat storage areas (since I have the back of the bed area set up as a permanent bed I've lost easy access to two-thirds of the under-seat storage. My question is what people who have done this have used as doors?

Bobbie
Look at access hatch, marine hatch, rv exterior compartment door, etc.

I was able to find what we we're looking for on e-bay as a access hatch. Only slight tweaking was required for what I think will be the correct curvature to the bottom half of our scamp
DanPatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:06 AM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Look at access hatch, marine hatch, rv exterior compartment door, etc.

I was able to find what we we're looking for on e-bay as a access hatch. Only slight tweaking was required for what I think will be the correct curvature to the bottom half of our scamp
Thanks, Dan. Luckily mine is not curved. Was there any trick to installing it?

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:15 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler 1984
I was told to mark it out from the INSIDE. Use the frame,not the door, to mark the opening and drill the corners. You can then cut the opening from outside knowing that you're not going to cut, drill, or bolt, into any cross structure. A little butyl tape, and some screws, and you're in business.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:46 AM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
This dealer on EBay normally lists RV parts (many) to include hatch assemblies.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ2...Q3aMEFSQ3aMESOI

Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:02 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita 16 ft / Jeep Cherokee
I'd recommend putting a nice radius on the corners of your cutouts.
You might consider using a hole saw at each of the four corners to start the cutting, then draw tangent lines and cut them with a saw.
Sharp corners will initiate cracks due to vibration, etc.
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:16 AM   #7

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
You also need a backing plate (If the assembly does not come with one) so the fiberglass will be bolted rigid, (sandwiched) between the outside and inside plates. This will cut down on fiberglass flexing and will seal the outside plate tight against the butyl tape and fiberglass.

I was going to put a door on our Scamp 5r but could not find a suitable FLAT spot. The only places where it should go had a curvature to it and I didn't think I could get the door to seal tight and/or it would mess up the fiberglass by putting undue stress (Distorting) by screwing it down tight. Undue stress could lead to fiberglass cracking.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:15 PM   #8

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Thanks, Dan. Luckily mine is not curved. Was there any trick to installing it?

Bobbie
It's only been test fitted so far. We're in the middle of a complete re-fit/paint and upgrades. In order to make the cutout, I first made a paper template out of some construction paper. I then taped the pattern to the exterior, and cut out from there. I started out short of the dimension and continued to test fit, and re-test, mixed with grinding and trimming. Our hatch will have no visible external screws or rivets. The screws will be underneath the butyl and surface lip, and will attach to a wooden backing frame that I have to make yet. The hatch will then be attached to the backing frame with screws on the inside of the frame. I plan to not re-install the metal hook at the lock and the hatch will be painted to match the rest of the camper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	61d7_1.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	10861
DanPatWork is offline   Reply With Quote