Access to propane tanks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2007, 10:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
I am planning to add an access hatch onto the top of the fiberglass tank cover to make it easy to just flip it open and turn the propane on/off (the cover is very nice, but a little awkward to move)

BUT before I start cutting, are there any reasons why I shouldn't be doing this??
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:49 AM   #2

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
I do not have a plastic cover on my Boler but a vinal one but I see no reason why you can not do this.
Just be aware that the plastic is thin so reinforcements around hinges and latches may be needed so it will not rip off during traveling.
I would reinforce by sandwitching the plastic with 3/8 plywood.
Gerry the canoebuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:57 AM   #3

Trailer: 80 HawaiiLo 16 ft
Quote:
I am planning to add an access hatch onto the top of the fiberglass tank cover to make it easy to just flip it open and turn the propane on/off (the cover is very nice, but a little awkward to move)

BUT before I start cutting, are there any reasons why I shouldn't be doing this??

Hi Lainey, Congrads on the Bigfoot. Here's what I did so I could turn my propane on and off without taking the shroud off. These are two deck ports for $7.99 each from West Marine. I riveted them on, they work like a charm.
Keith

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Jayfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:24 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I've seen quite a few of those threaded access ports (the "deck ports", but I didn't know they were called that) in larger trailers to provide service access to plumbing. If they're big enough for this purpose and the installation area is flat, I think that's a great idea; the frame of the port should provide the required reinforcement.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:19 PM   #5

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Thanks for the replies. Keith, those ports look great, just what I need! I think they would keep the fiberglass stronger than cutting in a rectangular hole like I first thought. Thanks for posting the pictures!! What are the blue things on the sides of the cover, is that a tie down?
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:29 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I installed a couple of deck ports through my rear bunks to allow access and to view my water tank fill marks.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane