Accomodating 2 people in the 13' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2009, 06:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
The bed in the the 13' Scamp is too small for 2 adults and the couch is an incomfortable bed as well. I'm thinking about a drop in bed that can lay on top of the seats, under the cushions and cross over to the support for the couch with a hinged piece of 1" masonite. the space between the kitchen sink and closet is a bit wider than the couch. Ideas would be welcomed.

Rob
Patty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:54 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi Patty -

We are in our 3rd year full-timing in our Scamp13 ... FWIW, our 2 cents here: I am 5'7" (and a bit 'fluffy') and DH is 5'9 1/2" and of average stature. We use a 3" pad of MemoryFoam on the dinette bed (we never use it as the dinette) and have found it to be one of the most comfie beds ever. It IS cozy , but unless the two sleepers are very tall, there seems to be plenty of room.

Sleeping singly on the front sofa is doable, especially with the 'banana cushion' if the sofa back has been removed for some reason. MemoryFoam would help here too, I think.

Somewhere on this forum there was once a post about extending the bed into the 'hall' so you could sleep "front-to-back" instead of "crossways' - is that what you are describing? IMHO, a bed in this area would be too large a span for the Masonite without extra support, which would add to the dreaded "W" - weight. Also, from a purely practical standpoint, a bed spanning the area between the kitchen & closet could be an obstacle to using the 'facilities' if needed during the night.

Just some thoughts - Safe travels, L 'n D
Old 02-20-2009, 09:21 AM   #3

Trailer: Compact Jr
One thing you might consider if you're building a platform of any sort is instead of making it out of one piece of heavy plywood, build it hollow-core, with an internal frame and skinned with thin plywood. Here's a link to a table I built for a friend:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...st&p=263031

The advantage is that it's much much lighter.
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:57 PM   #4

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
Rob,
I've been thinking about this for a long time. If we had a platform that extended most of the way into the floor space, we could sleep lengthwise instead of across, which would be much more comfortable. It wouldn't have to go all the way to the front seat & there would be a little floor space left for "the facilities." The trouble is coming up with something that would be small enough to put away during the day. Surely some clever egg-spert will have an idea!
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:59 AM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
If we had a platform that extended most of the way into the floor space, we could sleep lengthwise instead of across, which would be much more comfortable.
I seen it done, possibly at bolerama in Emily. Sorry no pictures. It gave them the length they needed for sleeping plus extra room at the sides for both.

I think it was a permanent fix. Remember, the extension only has to hold your weight getting in and out since for the most part it merely holds up your feet.

The design would depend on how your table/bed is configured. The simplest would be to attach a couple of extension legs to the underside of the table coming down to the floor, or run something between the closet and counter. Then lay plywood across.
Something like a drop in leaf for a table, but on the end.

Our table is not connected to the rear wall. All we would have to do is MacGuyver something to support one end of the table, pull it out leaving the other end on the notches in the benches then drop a leaf into the hole at the rear.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:25 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I know Myron Leski was trying to come up with something for his Burro. He's 6'7" so sleeping comfortably was paramount. He was thinking about an extension, but ran into a problem with having bedding too close to the furnace. Others might not have that problem. Here's that topic, complete with pictures:
Rethinking the bed-table problem, Extensions fold out but are they practical?

This is finally what he came up for his particular issue. Pretty clever, thinking outside the box!
More sleep space for us bigfoots, When you can't fit in your Burro
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:23 AM   #7

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
How ever you end up making something, I think it would be nice if it were portable enough so that you could store it under the Scamp when not used. I don't mean carried there, but just placed under the Scamp out of the way during the day time. Made with some fold up legs so it would store pretty flat.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:21 AM   #8

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
Thank you all for the suggestions. My thought was to cut two pieces, hinged in the middle for easy fold up and storing while not it use as well as some extention legs down to the floor for support while using. I still plan on using 1" masonite and have this board cut to the width need and extened about 8" or so ontop of the fiberglass dinet seat and 8" on the other end to rest on the sofa seat...both ends each under the cushions.

Rob
Patty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:45 PM   #9

Rob,

That sounds like what is shown here on bolerlife.com
Old 02-21-2009, 03:47 PM   #10

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
Rob,

That sounds like what is shown here on bolerlife.com
Although that shows an extension going side to side from dinette bench to dinette bench and I think Rob is talking about going lengthwise, from dinette to front sofa, if I understand it correctly.

Even with 1" stock, I'm sure you will need an intermediate support for that - but maybe you have one planned.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:54 PM   #11

Quote:
I think Rob is talking about going lengthwise, from dinette to front sofa
U B right, Raya.
I had to reread the original post a # of times before if finally clicked in. Guess I got lost in the details.

Tags
scamp