Adapter help please - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-12-2013, 06:39 AM   #15

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
My local Walmart has this adapter for about $5. It is a surprisingly nice Walmart, probably because of the area.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:51 AM   #16

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
The surge protector won't hurt anything, but unless you've got sensitive electronics aboard the trailer I wouldn't bother with it when at home. Use in RV's is often recommended due to unpredictable wiring at RV parks, some of which have whatchamighcall jerry-rigged systems.

There won't be any overheating problems because the 15amp circuit you're plugging into will just trip if you try to draw power beyond that limit. That's what the breaker's there for!

Francesca
The problem is not the circuit breaker as Francesca says The problem is the length of the wire in the circuit (From breaker panel to the outlet plus the length of extension cord to the trailer) ="voltage drop" If your running the AC or a heater then voltage drop is an issue. Running your refer or a few lights is not much of a load and is not a voltage drop problem. I am surprised how many people who believe that when a fuse blows or a breaker trips that indicates a defective fuse or breaker. I have watched people change a fuse 5 or 6 times because it keeps blowing and tell me they got a box of bad fuses

Old 03-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #17

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 1981 Trailer
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The problem is not the circuit breaker as Francesca says The problem is the length of the wire in the circuit (From breaker panel to the outlet plus the length of extension cord to the trailer) ="voltage drop" If your running the AC or a heater then voltage drop is an issue. Running your refer or a few lights is not much of a load and is not a voltage drop problem. I am surprised how many people who believe that when a fuse blows or a breaker trips that indicates a defective fuse or breaker. I have watched people change a fuse 5 or 6 times because it keeps blowing and tell me they got a box of bad fuses
A question I have, now that this topic has been opened. On my Bigfoot, I have a 15 amp outlet plugged into the house. In the Bigfoot I put in 2 separate AC circuits from the new PD4045 converter. Does this mean I can run two high power appliances, eg a microwave on one circuit and say a heater on the other without tripping the breaker? I actually tried two 1500 watt heaters on the two different circuits, and the breaker did not trip. Is this safe to do. Thanks, Jim
Old 03-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #18

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Weakest link in the chain rule:

If both those separate circuits inside the Bigfoot are drawing power from the single 15amp plug in off the trailer, the draw is limited to that.

While the PD4045 has provisions for two 15amp circuits, it can't/won't deliver more A/C current than it's receiving.

I'm also a little puzzled as to the configuration of the Bigfoot wiring- isn't the power cord itself connected to a 15amp breaker in the trailer?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #19

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
Jim,
If you were to run a 10a device on each of the branches from the PD4045 at the same time you should trip the 15a breaker at the house. If you were running the two heaters at maximum and at the same time it should have tripped the house breaker assuming it was rated 15a.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #20

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Jim, There is a time / current relationship on all breakers your two 1500 W should have been drawing 25A, assuming that they were at full power, and your breaker is rated at 15A. At 1.5 time the rated current, it should have tripped after about a minute. If not, you may want to get that checked.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #21

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
It could be that Jim had both heaters on low, in which case 15amps would have been sufficient...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #22

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
When home we plug into a 15/20 amp circuit and run the entire trailer without issue, as long as no other big thing in the house is plugged into that specific circuit.

We have never used a surge protector, certainly not at home. However, it should do no harm to use yours.

We bought our 30 to 15 amp plug at Walmarts. It's actually nice to know there's always a place where you can get RV supplies on the road, actually a friendly place that's normally happy to have you park in their lot. As well a store that will provide a $100 of cash against your account with a purchase.

Safe travels

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote