Add on Room - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2013, 12:00 AM   #1

Trailer: Lite House
Add on Room

Does anyone use/have an Add on Room, (tent structure) to add
additional space.
I have a Lite House, but since it's so small I need the additional area.

Looked at Standing Room Tents, but none had the frame, (which sounds
odd to me)

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,
richard
richard Trafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:45 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Richard, Bobbie just posted recently her solution. Since both her trailer and your trailer are rear entry, you may find this of value: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ion-58935.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:55 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We use a Eureka Northern Breeze screen room for additional space, but it does not attach to the trailer. It has flaps to close it in like a tent, or roll them up to use the screens, and the screens can be rolled up for it to be an open side canopy. Poles are provided to use one flap as an awning. We used ours as our living room/dining room for 3 months last winter. Had 2 chairs, picnic table, storage table, TV, lights, & a heater in it. Patio mat for a floor. It has a 4 pole exterior frame, price as I've seen recently is just over $400. We consider it as having been a good investment. On a recent camping trip it was cold and rained 80% of the time, so we spent most of the time in it with a Mr. Heater as we had our teardrop on that trip and not the Uhaul.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:14 AM   #4

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
We use a Eureka Northern Breeze screen room for additional space, but it does not attach to the trailer. It has flaps to close it in like a tent, or roll them up to use the screens, and the screens can be rolled up for it to be an open side canopy. Poles are provided to use one flap as an awning. We used ours as our living room/dining room for 3 months last winter. Had 2 chairs, picnic table, storage table, TV, lights, & a heater in it. Patio mat for a floor. It has a 4 pole exterior frame, price as I've seen recently is just over $400. We consider it as having been a good investment. On a recent camping trip it was cold and rained 80% of the time, so we spent most of the time in it with a Mr. Heater as we had our teardrop on that trip and not the Uhaul.
I keep getting ads for the Northern Breeze on FB at $399 (Campmor?) and I actually emailed to check door height but it was lower than I wanted. On the other hand, the Litehouse I think has a higher door, so my solution might not fit like it does on mine. The Northern Breeze looks very nice and I could see using a flap as an awning to attach to the trailer (so you could walk from one to the other without getting wet. I'll be giving mine a test this week so will post back on how it does!
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #5

Registry
I forgot to say, sometime earlier I posted some info on the Dometic Cabana room which is made for tent trailers but some people have adapted to other types. If you google it you'll find info. I wanted a floor so didn't go that way (though I think you can buy a floor for it.)
Old 06-16-2013, 07:25 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Direct link to the Dometic Cabana room Bobbie posted earlier: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ion-57792.html

then, there's this four page thread as well, with lots of good info: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ers-57230.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:32 AM   #7

New York
Using a flap on the Northern Breeze attached to the trailer would probably not work as it would have to be so high at the trailer end that water would run back onto the screen house. We bought ours from Campmor a couple years ago for $400, now they list the price as $439. If ours got damaged we would surely buy another.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:50 AM   #8

Registry
Oh, true, though the Campster height is a lot lower (it could be attached just over the door and wouldn't have much of a slope.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #9

Thanks!

Great info, and will check it,(Northern Breeze) today.........

richard
Old 06-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #10

Bobbie:

I checked with "Hanging Tents" as you suggested, but they came with no frame.

What did you do for a frame?

richard
Old 06-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #11

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Oh, true, though the Campster height is a lot lower (it could be attached just over the door and wouldn't have much of a slope.
we don't have ours set up right now so I can't tell you exactly what the door height is, probably about 5'6". It comes with 3 poles to make one flap an awning. One pole is a little longer than the other two to use as the center pole. All three poles are kind of short in my opinion so I use different poles, although the 3 months we spent in Georgia last winter we never used a flap as an awning. We also had a 10 X 10 EZ-up type we used to cook in and keep bikes in.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #12
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard Trafton View Post
Bobbie:

I checked with "Hanging Tents" as you suggested, but they came with no frame.

What did you do for a frame?

richard
I think the hanging tents are designed to work as an add on to an EZ-Up style canopy.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #13

Registry
Yes, the tent hangs from the frame of the canopy (10 x 10 straight leg only.)

It's working pretty well. Once I put a small fence blocking escape under the trailer there was a bit of a gap in the wall to wall meetup, but I just used some duct tape there to discourage my canine escape artist. The dogs like it. Weather is nice so at the moment we aren't using it but sitting outside.

Bad part- canopy broke. Second time I'd set it up and one of those dumb little push buttons (for putting the top part into locked position) disappeared into the frame. So I'll be returning/exchanging it. If a second one breaks I'll change brands, but I really like the easy of setting this one up and the fact that it is tall enough to clear the trailer door (barely.) I had a friend help and we put a hook where the push button was supposed to be to old it up for this trip.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #14

Add On

just curious, where do you get the frame for the
Hanging Tent?

Thanks,
richard
Old 06-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #15

Registry
Richard, mine is from Walmart, an Ozark Trail. But a button broke the 2nd time I set it up so if the replacement I get after this trip breaks I'll go for another brand. Other than that it seems very sturdy.