Adding 12 v outlet - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2003, 10:20 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Adding 12 v outlet

I know someone has done this but can any of you tell us how difficult it is to add a 12 volt outlet in our Scamp 5th wheel? We would like to put one in the loft area. Keep in mind you are talking to a couple of real rookie electricians. However I can't think that it would be too hard to do.

Just wish we had known at ordering time how valuable extra electrical outlets would be. And if I had it to do all over again I would have put the fantastic vent fan in the loft. It is a dream to turn it on and have all the heat and odors out of the 5er in a matter of seconds but it is noisy over the dinette. Ah well we will figure it all out. But for now air moving in the loft without a fan sitting at the bottom of the stairs would be nice. Maybe we'll just tap into the regular electrical lines and add a regular outlet. Anyway your input will be greatly appreciated.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 05:30 AM   #2

there are 2 ways to go

if all you want is a small dc fan to blow around air you can tap into
the lines that supply a light up in the loft. if you want an outlet you should for (saftey reasons) run new wires to your chosen location.
the reason for new wire is someone else down the road will plug in a large demad appliance like a vacuum or hair dryer or air pump
regular lighting wireing could heat up to the point of causeing a fire.

which way do you want to go?
:cheers

Old 08-19-2003, 07:44 AM   #3

12 v outlet vs vent

I am interested in running a small fan for ventilation so I guess tapping into the wires would be enough. Our thoughts were to put the fan on the mid to back of the wall backing the shower in the loft area but we also like placing it in the headspace over the staircase since that would pull better air flow from inside the main area of the trailer. We figured that pulling wiring thru the storage cupboard over the shower would keep it out of sight and out of danger.

However after a conversation with a neighbor last night we are considering another option. They had a 5th wheel stick built with a similar arrangement to our Scamp 5er - storage space over the bath that opened into the sleeping loft and an A/C unit with the airflow vent blowing into a corner. They fixed the problem by adding a vent through the storage space which allowed air to flow directly from the A/C unit to the loft area through that vent.

He cut a hole in each side of the storage area, used a short length of dryer vent hose to connect the holes and framed out the edges with inexpensive trim moulding finished to match his walls. By directing the airflow vent on the A/C unit into the pipe he got A/C into the loft space with no restrictions. It would work well too if you were just running the fan. He showed us exactly where we should cut the openings and I really think we will try this as it is a simple fix that doesn't involve messing with electricity or structural parts of the trailer. And that is important to both of us as neither of us is mechanically inclined. Hole cutting and trimming out we can handle.

However we still would be interested in knowing the answer to the original question so bring on the answers please. Also any opinions on this neighbors suggestion would be welcome.

Old 08-19-2003, 08:06 AM   #4

sound like a good idea

gice it a try cutting hole and adding flex duct . if you still need more air yo can put a small fan in the duct . working with dc is pretty easy also:chased