Adding a screen door on a Scamp 13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2015, 12:41 PM   #1

Name: JerryJohn
Trailer: New owner Scamp 13' 2009
Florida
Adding a screen door on a Scamp 13

Ok all you Scamp moders, who has added a screen door? and does the factory screen door come complete? The scampers who have a screen door are you happy with it?
Old 03-05-2015, 01:25 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Adding a screen door on a Scamp 13

Can't help with the retrofit questions as mine came from the factory with the screen door option. As to how it works, it's functional- not beautiful, but does the job with minimal weight. We use it a lot and would definitely want it if we were ordering a new trailer.

Right now one of the panels needs rescreening, but I'm not seeing an easy way to remove the panels without disassembling part of the frame. I really haven't looked too closely, though. When I get to it, I may also add kick panels on the bottom 6-8 inches. That's where the screen is coming apart (on the side that's exposed when folded against the closet). If I were installing a new one, I'd do that from the start.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:59 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Can't help with the retrofit questions as mine came from the factory with the screen door option. As to how it works, it's functional - not beautiful, but does the job with minimal weight. I would definitely want it if I were ordering a new trailer.

Right now one of the panels needs rescreening, but I'm not seeing an easy way to remove the panels without disassembling part of the frame. I really haven't looked too closely, though. When I get to it, I may also add kick panels on the bottom 6-8 inches. That's where the screen is coming apart (on the side that's exposed when folded against the closet). If I were installing a new one, I'd do that from the start.
It just pops out at the pivot, similar to a closet door.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:05 PM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
If I were ordering new I'd buy one from Scamp. I built one by using make-it-yourself screening and a few hinges. Very light and designed to be re-screened.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:28 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post

Good to know, Floyd. Thanks!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:48 PM   #6

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Ours came with the factory screen door. I like ours. Of course ours is more for the puppies than for us. LOL
Old 03-05-2015, 05:51 PM   #7

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Have one, use it some, like it. Before I bought a replacement from Scamp though I think I would try and build one from some nice clear wood and a few hinges.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:26 AM   #8

Florida
Screen door

Thanks to Jon, Floyd, Norm, Ted and Tim for your replay to my screen door question, I will be doing a little more research and then decide on the factory screen door. Thanks again for the help.
Jerry
Old 03-06-2015, 07:45 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
This is my solution, It works extremely well. Used it all last season and it kept out all the bug and insects except at one location a few wasps (which were everywhere) managed to get in. The movement of the beads seem to keep them away except the wasps thought the wooden beads were a good source of material for their nest (I guess)

Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:14 AM   #10

Florida
Smile Screen door

Your Scamp looks great, like the colors and chrome wheels. The beads also look great and thanks for the new idea.
Jerry
Old 03-06-2015, 08:26 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Jerry,

We have the bi-fold screen door on our Scamp that was an option we included buying it new. The wife LOVES it and uses it considerably.

BUT, if you're adding one...or if I was adding one, I would READILY consider this one. It's a simple magnetic screen and I've heard nothing but good about it. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Magnetic Screen Door: Premium Quality, TOUGH CONSTRUCTION. Velcro SEWN Around ENTIRE Frame-NO GAPS! 36" x 83" Frame =Fits Door Openings UP TO 34" X 82" MAX. Wont Fall Apart Like Magic Mesh As Seen On TV, Bug Off Magna. "Bugs-Not-Invited" Guarantee! -
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:36 AM   #12

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Ian, it sounds good. What kind of wood are the beads made of? Does it have a natural bug repellent, or is it treated with something man-made? Somehow I think that it is not a physical barrier. Especially since wasps got through. Something else at work here.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:01 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Ian, it sounds good. What kind of wood are the beads made of? Does it have a natural bug repellent, or is it treated with something man-made? Somehow I think that it is not a physical barrier. Especially since wasps got through. Something else at work here.
No special wood and no repellant used (although that may be an idea). I know of others who have used plastic beads with the same results, I think it is the movement of the strings in the air that may be the primary reason. The wasps were actually not trying to get into the trailer, they were landing on the beads and with the wind movement they ended up inside.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:09 AM   #14
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Jerry,

We have the bi-fold screen door on our Scamp that was an option we included buying it new. The wife LOVES it and uses it considerably.

BUT, if you're adding one...or if I was adding one, I would READILY consider this one. It's a simple magnetic screen and I've heard nothing but good about it. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Magnetic Screen Door: Premium Quality, TOUGH CONSTRUCTION. Velcro SEWN Around ENTIRE Frame-NO GAPS! 36" x 83" Frame =Fits Door Openings UP TO 34" X 82" MAX. Wont Fall Apart Like Magic Mesh As Seen On TV, Bug Off Magna. "Bugs-Not-Invited" Guarantee! -
I tried these and they worked OK but I prefer the beads.
The problem I found with these is they need to be tight at the top so they close right, which means they are sewn onto a common banding at the top. You have to mount them just above the door opening, when you pass through them the top is held in place and it actually reduces access through the door at the top (this is hard to explain.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:26 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The magnetic screen doesnt look like it's sealing very well in that pic. I'd still prefer it over the beads, but it definitely looks like it could use some "tweaking". Then again, if it reduces the overhead of the door even further, that's another negative. I'm only 5-6 and still have to be careful about banging my head on the door frame exiting the trailer!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:12 AM   #16
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
The problem with the top of the magnetic screen is think of a simple tent entry with a single zipper up the center. When you spead the door open the top, being held at the center, forms an inverted "V". This works OK on a tent where the opening is large for on our trailers the door is only 22" wide so this greatly reduces access through the door.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:34 AM   #17

Florida
Screen doors

More ideas, thanks for the idea and link, I will check it out and thanks for the pics. Nice camper.
Jerry
Old 03-07-2015, 09:43 AM   #18

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The screen door on our 2000 16" Scamp side bath kept binding. The top pivot had stripped out screws. I called Scamp and they admitted it did NOT just pop out. They explained how to completely take apart the top to remove the screen so I could try to hold the pivot point. That was a PITA. It worked for about one year and then started binding again. It was worse than before, but I got it working again. We sold the Scamp!

My SIL's 2005 (?) 16' side dinette had the exact same screen. I had decided if the door bound up again I would install the same screen as Darral T suggests in Post 11.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:59 AM   #19

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
...I called Scamp and they admitted it did NOT just pop out. They explained how to completely take apart the top to remove the screen so I could try to hold the pivot point. That was a PITA.
I think the only time the screen door pops out is when you don't want it to! A number of years ago, the Johnson Hardware for the screen door on my Scamp was all worn out. I took it down and installed three 5" brass piano hinges. Doesn't bind, doesn't fall... No more problem!
Attached Thumbnails
ScreenDoor-01.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:52 AM   #20

Florida
Smile Screen door

Thanks everyone for the input, I am looking at all your ideas and plan to see if I can find someone here in Florida that has a screen door on their Scamp. I have a cousin in MN that lives close to the Factory and will have her ask some questions and take pics. Lucky me she also comes to Florida to visit each year and I will have here bring one with her, save on shipping Cutting a hole for a baggage door in camper today for access to old water tank area under the seat. Had a door custom made by Lippert Components, pic to follow when done.
Thanks,
Jerry

Tags
scamp