Adding another fresh water tank Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2016, 06:51 PM   #1

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
Adding another fresh water tank Question

Hi folks!
I have a '99 Scamp 16 w/side dinette with a 12 gallon water tank under the street side rear dinette seat. I understand that another tank on the street side.
Does anyone know how it is configured for filling and etc?
Thanks in advance.
Charlie
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:02 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Sorry but your question is not clear so please click on the "Edit" button and you can clarify it for the readers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmartin748 View Post
Hi folks!
I have a '99 Scamp 16 w/side dinette with a 12 gallon water tank under the street side rear dinette seat. I understand that another tank on the street side.
Does anyone know how it is configured for filling and etc?
Thanks in advance.
Charlie
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:11 AM   #3

Ohio
OOOPS! Sorry folks. I meant that the existing tank is under the curb side seat and I want to install another tank under the street side seat.
Thanks
Old 04-08-2016, 10:47 AM   #4

It's very simple in logic. You simply tie both tanks with a tube at the bottom of each tank. Gravity will keep them both at the same level when filling and draining. This would be important if you're planning on hauling with water (counting on the trailer weighing the same on both sides).

You can easily test this theory temporarily with plastic jugs and a straw/tube glued (or just use putty etc since it's temporary) into each at the bottom. Then fill one with water and watch what happens.

This would be my suggestion.

Quote:
OOOPS! Sorry folks. I meant that the existing tank is under the curb side seat and I want to install another tank under the street side seat.
Thanks
Old 04-08-2016, 11:27 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hummm, generally the gray water and black water tanks are matched to accommodate the amount of freshwater in the tank. If you're adding more freshwater, have you considered how to get rid of the excess gray/black?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:30 AM   #6

My Fresh 12 Gal has never held over 10 gal. I have an apx 20 Gal gray and 9 gal Black. Not an issue with my trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Hummm, generally the gray water and black water tanks are matched to accommodate the amount of freshwater in the tank. If you're adding more freshwater, have you considered how to get rid of the excess gray/black?
Old 04-08-2016, 11:32 AM   #7

Cool, here's a thread that may help. I see the link to Peter H's install is dead. If you need it, I'll look for it. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ank-41054.html

Here found it quickly: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...age-33982.html
Old 04-08-2016, 12:47 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Just know, Charles, that you won't want to be towing with both tanks full.

Another forum member ordered the second tank from the factory on his Scamp 16. On the first trip with both tanks full, he reported experiencing sway and had to stop and partly empty the tanks. I believe the second tank option is normally only installed on 19'ers.

Filling them at or near your destination for extended dry camping would work. But Donna is right… where will the grey water go? I believe I have read that Scamp's listed 26 gallon grey tank is really more like 21 gallons… hope I'm not misstating...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:50 PM   #9

You're not misstating at all Jon. I've tested my gray MANY times. But two 12's wont equal but about 20 gal. The gray tank along with the 9 gal black tank (if he has one) will be safe. No different than city really if you think about it...you have to be prepared to empty. I added a "Tech Edge" monitor to my gray tank...wouldnt want to be without it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Just know, Charles, that you won't want to be towing with both tanks full.

Another forum member ordered the second tank from the factory on his Scamp 16. On the first trip with both tanks full, he reported experiencing sway and had to stop and partly empty the tanks. I believe the second tank option is normally only installed on 19'ers.

Filling them at or near your destination for extended dry camping would work. But Donna is right… where will the grey water go? I believe I have read that Scamp's listed 26 gallon grey tank is really more like 21 gallons… hope I'm not misstating...
Old 04-08-2016, 01:02 PM   #10

Ohio
Thanks for the replies Darral,Jon and Donna. Excellent link. I like the one tank idea.
If i simply tie the tanks together it will take a very long time to fill them both by gravity. I never travel with more than a few gallons in the tank for use on the road. I usually have a place to fill up before arriving at my boon-docking destination. I have my shower configured so that it will drain on the ground, pump into the grey tank or drain into my portable tank. !0 gallons is just not enough for a week or so.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:16 PM   #11

Coleman also makes some collapsible 5 gal water jugs. I'd MUCH rather fill a couple of those up and have them along with me in my truck than to install another water tank!! Especially for me since I would RARELY need it. Just food for thought....ummm water for thought...lol.

Quote:
Thanks for the replies Darral,Jon and Donna. Excellent link. I like the one tank idea.
If i simply tie the tanks together it will take a very long time to fill them both by gravity. I never travel with more than a few gallons in the tank for use on the road. I usually have a place to fill up before arriving at my boon-docking destination. I have my shower configured so that it will drain on the ground, pump into the grey tank or drain into my portable tank. !0 gallons is just not enough for a week or so.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:41 PM   #12

I'd rather have the storage than another water tank. (Two solid objects can not occupy the same space.) Rather refill with jug water as mentioned for the times needed. YMMV
Old 04-08-2016, 04:43 PM   #13

Ohio
Also very good comments, but I've done all of these things and at my age lugging water takes a lot out of me. I had 2 Walmart 7 gallon jugs and did the filling thing and found that they don't hold up very well. They get small cracks that get things very wet over a short period lol. If I put in the center tank under the bed that would open up both sides for storage, you think?
Old 04-09-2016, 08:07 AM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Only concern about the center is frame support underneath. Water is heavy. Don't know about your 16'er, but my 13'er doesn't have any frame cross members under the dinette. Water tanks in the side compartments are over the main longitudinal frame rails. Anyone else think that might be a problem?

To me the side compartments are hard to access for storage. Could you put tanks on both sides and convert the center to storage? Just thinking out loud...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:32 AM   #15

Ohio
I'm thinking I'll install it just like the existing tank with another fill fixture on the outside instead of trying to run it on the inside and just Tee into the supply tube to the pump.