adding Awning rail and awning to Surfside - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2007, 03:37 PM   #1

Trailer: '77 Triple E Surfside
I have access to buy an awning that is 8 feet wide and 10 feet long.

However, I do not have an Awning Rail on my Surfside and I was wondering if anyone has added their own. I know I can buy the hardware, but my question is - Has anyone done this and did you use Rivets or Screws ?

I guess I am nervous about the thought of putting holes in my fiberglass camper where there are none.

Any advice and or even pics would be great. I understand a lot of people have purchased the quick up 10x10 awning device and other screen rooms etc. that they simply put up against their camper door and they claim that there is still lots of room to open the door etc. Yet, I can't seem to find pics of these mods - If they are out there - Please share. I think that this would be a cheaper solution then then buying an awning and poles and putting holes in my fiberglass.

What's the verdict and what are opinions and pictures folks ?
ericmarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:23 AM   #2
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
... I guess I am nervous about the thought of putting holes in my fiberglass camper where there are none.
This is the very reason that I have only been talking about an awning for 5 years and not actually put one on.

I have learned that I can repair the fiberglass so I could do it if I had to, but I still haven't gotten up the guts to do it. Mine would be done with rivets, not sure about yours.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:02 PM   #3

Quote:
This is the very reason that I have only been talking about an awning for 5 years and not actually put one on.

I have learned that I can repair the fiberglass so I could do it if I had to, but I still haven't gotten up the guts to do it. Mine would be done with rivets, not sure about yours.
Thank you Suz. I guess I could also measure the actual height from the ground just past the door and see if some of these "eazy-up" shelters or screen tents would work too?

I have noticed a lot of Boler owners do this in their pics but my Surfside is a touch higher up off the ground then most 13 foot Bolers.

hmm, like you I may be thinking about this one for some time.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:15 AM   #4
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Thank you Suz. I guess I could also measure the actual height from the ground just past the door and see if some of these "eazy-up" shelters or screen tents would work too?

I have noticed a lot of Boler owners do this in their pics but my Surfside is a touch higher up off the ground then most 13 foot Bolers.

hmm, like you I may be thinking about this one for some time.
I raised my trailer several inches and I do have a screened room that I have used. It's a very close fit, but it does work. The frame clears the door, but I have to secure the fabric overhang to keep it out of the way.

Just in case you're wondering, it is an off brand that I bought several years ago. It is canvas (not plastic) and it's okay, but I think you could probably do better. Mine is shockcorded. Last time I used it one of the legs got jammed. Fortunately, some friends came to my rescue and helped me fix it. The good news is that it withstood the wind. No problem at all. The bad news is the shockcording rattled some in the tubes and made my dog nervous so he wouldn't sit under it.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 01:58 AM   #5

Quote:
I raised my trailer several inches and I do have a screened room that I have used. It's a very close fit, but it does work. The frame clears the door, but I have to secure the fabric overhang to keep it out of the way.

Just in case you're wondering, it is an off brand that I bought several years ago. It is canvas (not plastic) and it's okay, but I think you could probably do better. Mine is shockcorded. Last time I used it one of the legs got jammed. Fortunately, some friends came to my rescue and helped me fix it. The good news is that it withstood the wind. No problem at all. The bad news is the shockcording rattled some in the tubes and made my dog nervous so he wouldn't sit under it.
Great stuff. we have a dog too - Choc. Lab. He's got lots of energy and little things/noises etc. keep him up etc.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Great stuff. we have a dog too - Choc. Lab. He's got lots of energy and little things/noises etc. keep him up etc.

Just a little update on this. My wife and I purchased from Wal-Mart an Easy Up tent with screen attachments because it was on sale and I can't find the measurements anywhere for first ups, ez up's etc. that say the height from the ground to the start of the material on the roof of the top etc.

Turns out we set it fairly quickly and even on it's highest setting (3 diff. notches for height) the SurfSide door will hit the material on the tent unit so back to Wally's World it went.

I guess I am back to considering installing an awning rail or something.

If anyone has a SurfSide and they use a screen tent or something similar to that up against their trailer instead of awning, I'd LOVE to hear from them and the name brand etc. or pics ?

Old 04-25-2022, 05:01 PM   #7

Name: Nancy
Trailer: Scamp
Connecticut
I have a 1976 Scamp 13’. Does anyone know the length of the Crail that I need to install on the side of the roof for the awning?
Thanks
Nancy. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 06:45 AM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I once had a Perris pacer ( big mistake but I sold it)
I was able to mount the track using stainless steel bolts and each nut was hidden inside a cabinet in the trailer
I remember it took a lot of measurements / then I snapped a chalk line and made the drill holes

Worked great
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surfside